22-23 Hornets General Discussion

Man I know, but he has crazy upside and I just want a guy with that really high ceiling like Duren has

Welcome back! Nice to have a fellow Brit on here again. Iā€™m enjoying your podcasts a lot, really good and well-informed stuff.

Thats right, you were a poster on bobcats planet back in the day? I didnā€™t post much, I mostly read here and there.

The silver lining of the tank job season so far is that the last couple games or so have been exciting. A comeback, games within 5 points, some OT.

As fans thatā€™s the ideal tank season. Exciting games but losses all around. Cheers

1 Like

I hate myself for agreeing with this.

Ahhh makes sense, yes in that case would be good to have that profile back yes.

As a collective of fans, we apparently are into bondage and S&M. This should not be a ā€œthank you maā€™am, may i have anotherā€ type of thing.

Glad to see you back. This is technically a new Hornetsplanet which is why you probably couldnā€™t get into your account. But Iā€™m sure Eastley can help you get back your name.

I get what everyone is talking about tanking but whose to say you get one of the top 2 picks. Those are the only two guys I would want (Scoot and Weba). Iā€™m not for making any big time splash moves but getting a center and all around depth while clearing some long term cash doesnā€™t hurt. Harrison Barnes is on an expiring deal and I think he would help replace the void if we were to get rid of Gordon and remain competitive. Myles Turner, Mo Bamba or Poetl all would help upgrade the center spot. There are some moves we could make to help this team this year and for the near future.

I hear you, but that means having a GM capable of making trade moves.

Absolutely not. So tired of blah.

I know everyone is focused on the top pick, and Vic and Scoot are the prizes, but we hadnā€™t even gotten to the superstars coming out of college. There will probably be at least a couple potential franchise changing or at least foundational cornerstones coming out of school, so any of the top 4 picks will help tremendously.

Indiana was stuck in mediocrity even with pretty solid pieces in Sabonis, Brogdon, and sometimes Turner. But flipping those nice pieces into Halliburton and Mathurin, they are playing well and moving up. We donā€™t have a Sabonis caliber guy, so we canā€™t trade for a Halliburton caliber guy, but there probably is a nice young player caught in a duplicative role on a team who needs new scenery. Maybe someone on the Bulls or Magic. Houston and OKC will have to move young talent at some point once some contracts start coming due.

So the easiest to control is finding a new home for any/all of our vets for either a young role player or draft compensation, getting a top 4 pick to reset the timeline to coincide with Meloā€™s ascension, and also having room to throw offers at another contributing piece. I think we could even be considered an up and coming team as soon as next season if these things work out.

Just donā€™t know if I trust Mitch to be bold enough to trade away his signings, hope his pride and ego doesnā€™t stop him from resetting his roster he created.

2 Likes

I think we have better and have more players than you guys think. Richards and Williams are both going to be solid as early as next season. Clifford just needs to start grooming them. Hope we trade Plumlee soon . He has to be being showcased. Question is Kelly a keeper or should we let him walk? He seams to be playing much better this year. PJ in up in the air all so. I could see him as part of a large trade.

First off, I really appreciate that you are continuing my now-abandoned ā€œfind the optimism in itā€ approach. I feel like I held up the optimistic end of Bobcats/Hornets love for 15+ years and have finally caught the pessimism bug. I couch what I am about to type with that appreciation and sad caveat.

< rant >
I had a financial advisor from when I was still in college. I was bequeathed a small sum and didnā€™t know what to do with it so I went shopping for a brokerage that would invest it for me. These were the days of the yellow pages, before the days of ā€œthe Real Yellow Pagesā€ and so it was basically a Navin R. Johnson point and call thing.

I was with one of two FAs from that day until they retired. It would take years for me to have any real investments but as my FA grew in age, apparently so did their risk aversion. FA retired in shortly after the Great Recession. The FA was assigned following the priorā€™s retirement said when we first met. ā€œI have good news and bad news. The good, you fared way better than most during the recession as far as losses. The bad, [prior FA] fumbled things and had you largely uninvested for the last few years, you are mostly in cash and never got any of the upside leading into it.ā€

You can be that FA and get small wins when you arenā€™t trying or just asleep. I really worry thatā€™s where Mitch is presently. Maybe it - like my FA - is more about as Mitch eyes retirement, his risk aversion increases proportionately and heā€™s now in an analysis paralysis state. I donā€™t quite know. What I do know is that I donā€™t believe in Mitch to actively do anything that really tries to rock a dunk at the rim, he just seems to want to pass the ball and hope someone else takes the shot.

not a financial advisor, not soliciting or promoting financial advice, have not stayed in a Holiday Inn Express in years, investments are risky, sucrose and fructose are kind of the same, catching a frisbee with your teeth may damage your dental work, dental work is risky if performed by a financial advisor, use a soft frisbee if training your dog to catch, not a dog, not a dog trainer, training a dog is risky if you are a twit and like to yell obscenities at squirrels, all other caveats apply
< /rant >

2 Likes

Welcome back @Plowright . You are really becoming a staple in the Hornets community. Keep killing it!

1 Like

This is where Iā€™d be focusing. Take a chance or two where the character of the player isnā€™t in question, but they just havenā€™t seen the court ā€¦ the reality, of course, is we could then add them to our stable of lottery picks who also havenā€™t seen the floor!

Sounds like a good plan. As long they are allowed to rot on the bench in the cliff doghouse and then get bounced to Greensboro every now and then. Oh yeah, and then signed to an expensive extension in year 5

I am crusty

It hurts, because it rings all too true!

Thank you for the kind words, glad you enjoy the pods as it takes a lot of time to pull everything together and itā€™s not often you receive feedback!

NBA Fandom is pretty small, I would say social media (Tiktok/Insta/YouTube) has led more people to be aware of the big name stars and their highlights, but very few REALLY understand the league and follow a team.

Basketball is pretty popular in U16s, but it really doesnā€™t translate into adult competition, really poor club structures.

Why the Hornetsā€¦ Well, I had a school friend who started a basketball team, he persuaded me to come down and join. Everyone at training had a jersey and I didnā€™t, it just so happened I was going to the US to visit my grandma that summer. When I did, I went to a Reebok store where they had two jerseys:

1. Adam Morrison - Charlotte Bobcats
  2. LeBron James - Cleveland Cavaliers

From there, the rest is historyā€¦

2 Likes

It has to be the team plan . Even Clifford isnā€™t that dumb. I think tank is coming from higher up. At this rate I might never see a playoff game again.