22-23 Hornets General Discussion

So with that would you trade Melo for#5 and#9 With Scoot being the point.

Nah, its insanity to trade Melo at this point. Heā€™s still capable of raising his game another level and being an All-NBA type player.

Once he learns how to draw fouls, once he starts getting more respect from the refs, once he gets more strength, he could average close to 30 points with 8-10 assists, and 7-8 rebounds. Shai took 5 years to get to this point, Melo could get there by next season.

You donā€™t give up that talent unless youā€™re forced to. Atlanta got the 5th and 10th pick for Luka, and even with Trae Young, they got completely fleeced. Generational talents are not worth maybe a decent potential star, and a crap shoot for the later pick.

4 Likes

What are some realistic trades were looking at?

So if we get lucky and get the 2nd pick and take Scoot . We have Scoot , Ball. I think we trade Washington donā€™t think he likes it hear, I donā€™t think we keep Plumlee or Oubre. I think Williams will be decent at center. Richards is aRFA McDaniels i think is a free agent. That brings us to Terry and Hayward . That looks like a team full of holes. God forbid Bridges would help a lot, Mitch and MJ have got thair work cut out for them this off saeson,

If we get the 1st pick, there is no haul of picks that makes trading away worth even a passing thought.

If we get the second pick, the only way you could consider trading away is if you get a HUGE pot back, likely picks and a player, and you donā€™t assess Scoot as being a generational prospect. Iā€™d almost rule it out, but dropping to 5 (Cam Whitmore), getting 9 (Cason Wallace), and Franz Wagner (I loved him in the draft) might make it viable. Ball, Wallace, Whitmore, Wagner & Williams is salivating to me (though weā€™d need a ā€˜Wā€™ nickname for LaMelo). But if Scoot is graded in the generational category, even that might not be enough.

Remember that time when it wasnā€™t worth trading #5 and #10 for Chris Paul? Fun times with the hornets and drafts.

1 Like

I JUST FINALLY BLOCKED OUT THAT WE DRAFTED SEAN MAY!!!

Dude.

2 Likes

Went back and looked at past drafts. Portland drafting Sam Bowie before MJ and Greg Oden before KD are such a Hornets thing to do.

Oden is what Iā€™m having a hard time shaking from my head with Wenbanyama. Oden was legit; he just go hurt.

Fingers crossed for the kid, no matter who gets him.

That is correct. Oden would have been a monster had he been healthy. But man KD was as sure as a generational talent as LeBron

Donā€™t overthink things. Ballā€™s a ā€œpoint guardā€, but heā€™s 6ā€™6", can shoot, and isnā€™t an electric track and field athlete. If the best available prospect has a classic point guard physical buildā€¦they can play together.

Havenā€™t paid enough attention to the draft to take a position on individual prospects, but Charlotteā€™s way far away from being able to draft for positional need.

1 Like

Hornets wonā€™t make any trades at the deadline because thereā€™s no trades to be hadā€¦

We typically do very little at the trade deadline. I expect this year will be the same. I am wondering if I am alone in feeling mixed emotions watching a game. I am hoping we get a high draft pick this year which means we should lose, but when I am watching a game I am still rooting for a win. It takes the fun out of the game which is probably why I have been to fewer games this season than normal.

3 Likes

I agree and wonder how much of this is down to us still playing our vets, pretty heavily.

The reason I say this being, I can enjoy watching a young team loose but play well in patches. Knowing there is more to come. Itā€™s much less enjoyable watching a team of veterans getting beaten.

3 Likes

I just believe regardless how stacked a team may be at a given position, you should still always take the best player. I know GS didnā€™t need another guard at the time and needed a C, but how badly do they wish theyā€™d taken Melo instead of Wiseman now? Iā€™ll acknowledge that we have the benefit of hindsight now and there were plenty of question marks about Melo coming into the draft. They truly could have viewed Wiseman as the better prospect. But to extent that their decision was driven by positional need, that was a grave miscalculation.

I have to guess they rated them about the same and Wiseman fit better.

And rating players is hard. There a lot of guys that we look back on and think ā€œman, we should have drafted them,ā€ but there are also lots of guys people rated that we could have drafted that have been completely forgotten. I think about that MKG draft where people look back and think we could have drafted Beal or Lillard. But there was also the real chance we drafted Thomas Robinson.

At any rate, generally speaking I definitely agree you draft the best player. But I see where teams choose position if itā€™s not so clear or at least close.

1 Like

I have mixed feelings about all of this. I really do like PJ and I do think he adds value, but itā€™s all about the number. Heā€™s not good enough to overpay to keep him, but heā€™s too good to lose for nothing, despite the fact that we probably wouldnā€™t get equal value in a trade.

And speaking of, itā€™s starting to look more and more like Miles is going to become a valuable asset that we extract zero value from. It especially stings since heā€™s likely going to be on a roster somewhere next year playing for some other team on a bargain contract. Even if itā€™s just a 2nd, Iā€™d still love to get something for him if we can.

If anything, to me, PJā€™s value has dropped for me and heā€™s worth less than what we offered him last offseason. I really hope we donā€™t offer him what he wants. I like PJ fine but heā€™s definitely not worth 20 mil a season.

1 Like

Donā€™t see how you can get any value from him. He canā€™t be signed and traded, he canā€™t be outright traded. At best, he can be signed in the of season and traded Dec/Jan in that season I believe. If you signed him now, not sure what the wait would need to be. But in either case, A you donā€™t know what the league penalty will be (his sit time) and B if you have a trade partner