Miles Bridges Gets 3 years Probation

Just listened to a couple of RTB MB raps on youtube. I don’t get it. Is the point to be offensive? Because it is. Lots and lots of B and N words and not much else. Hard Pass.

Yeah I listened to it this morning. A complete joke and so much cringe.

And everyone is entitled to their opinion. I’m not into any of the new stuff but I try to avoid trashing this generation’s version because I remember being a 80/90’s baby and the previous generation trashing what is now seen as a golden era of hip hop. If you respect the culture you allow all of it’s iterations it’s space.

Hip hop in it’s essence is art. Art is one’s interpretations. Basquiat’s work looks like scribble scrabble to me but is seen by most as exquisite. To each their own.

Oh, it’s not all bad. But I hear a ton of stuff that I hate. Like the mumble rap auto tune stuff. There’s still lots of really talented artists out there now.

But I still think as a whole, hip hop is is not what it used to be.

1 Like

I’m with you on that but I see how the youngsters are just as passionate as me and my friends were about their music as we were about our time period.

Anyways what news to wake up to today. Only the Charlotte Hornets. And to think my seats went up 15% ugh.

Yeah it’s a whole new generation. Can’t remember what rapper had this lyric, but something like “selling mix tapes out the trunk of my computer”. Lots of people passionate and putting their own stuff out there.

Anyways. Back to today’s trainwreck.

There’s more rappers today making songs about break ups than talking about shooting guns

I’m only referring to the stylistic quality, not lyrical content.

Trying to think of a way out:

1. Plead down to a misdemeanor if possible
  2. Pay off the woman big time and tie the money to a non disclosure agreement
  3. Hire the best people possible (spare no expenses) to lobby the NBA brass for leniency
  4. Go low profile for a few years like Randy Moss did back in West Virginia (NO social media or rapping!)
  5. Learn and grow up.

I am worried that the team may be f-ed!

He can do that if he wants but I pray it’s not with the charlotte hornets.

I’m with you 100%, QC. TBH, I’ve seen several posts that IMO, had tinges of dog-whistles throughout from someone i recognize as being relatively new here, so I choose to not even dignify them. But thats just my opinion, and I dont aim to sow division, each is free to make their own conclusions.

That being said, not to paint with a broad brush either, but i feel anyone who correlates hip hop culture with an entirely net negative effect or influence has not been a part of hip hop culture and has very little knowledge of it. As you alluded to, there are so many elements of it that have zero to do with the music itself, but rather were borne of it and cannot be separated from it. Fashion, language, aesthetics, art, etc, so much of which has become mainstream that many people consume it and partake in it, but have no idea or appreciation of its origins.

I, being a poor/working class white kid on the fringes, growing up in Fayetteville, cannot ever appropriately express the gratitiude i feel towards hip hop culture for giving me a place. Period. Be it the music, art, fashion, sports, or especially even socially… if no one else accepted me, it did. Now, as we grow, we venture into other facets of culture, but my home and default is always with hip hop. This garbage about violence and it brainwashing people into violence and immorality, is just that - garbage. The culture I grew up with wasnt about that… it happened within it, but the overall vibe and direction were always positive, about upliftment, hope, and encouragement while drawing attention to the ills, and it still is. Just my opinion.

2 Likes

So are you saying that we are f-ed? Trading assets for John Collins is f-ed. Trading for anyone is a loss of assets that was not anticipated. We need something out of Miles not to be screwed.

There is no positive spin. The only positive would be to part ways as soon as possible.

Guys already back posting on social media so

I do have a perspective that may be somewhat unique. Never thought it relevant to this board before but here we are. I have seen the justice system up close as a juror, graduate student researcher, law student, intern (paid and unpaid!) and as a lawyer.* Thank God never as a defendant! Granted all of my experience is in DC not LA but somethings are predictable:

Some intern will be assigned the duty to listen to every single lyric rapped by Miles to look for instances violence, gun play, drug usage, misogyny and anything else that will make Miles look like a monster. This will be done with enthusiasm because this case can make the careers of a lot of people in the prosecutor’s office. They have an excellent incentive to NOT engage in a plea bargain. Video of him talking about b!tches and blunts makes their job that much easier. They don’t have to get Miles to talk because he already did!

So yes, there are MANY positive aspects of hip hop/rap. (My personal favorite is a drive/determination to create one’s own success but I am less impressed by the hair, drug usage, slang, posturing and the immaturity.) Unfortunately Miles rapped proudly about the wrong sh!t for a guy who got arrested.

Lean!?!? I had to look that up. Believe me the prosecution is going to LOVE that social media post more than Miles’ boys did. (I can see it now, “Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, Miles says he wasn’t under the control of a substance when he hit her but look at this cup of lean!”) Sure there will be an objection but every single juror will look up lean and Miles that night!

He needs to plead and let his worst instincts go.

*Went to a prison as a young grad student to conduct interviews. After being there I just knew I would get raped on my first night if I ever went to prison.

1 Like

He’s what!!! Are you sh!ting me!?!?!?

I see the discussion veered into hip hop a bit.

Listening to De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Digable Planets, Brand Nubian, Public Enemy…

Catching LJ and Zo at the arena…

Chowing down at Lupies… (it’s still there!)

Living with my best friends…

Those were the days.

Okay, sorry, carry on.

3 Likes

Making me excited to graduate and move back to Charlotte in a few months. Only problem is rent is skyrocketing.

You born in 1975? Me too! Haha

I went to Randolph Jr High when it was the Crib… and not a magnet school.

Best unsung rap group of our time was “Black Sheep”

Our Pink Floyd “The Wall” was PE’s “Apocalypse 91!”

1 Like

“You can get with THIS. You can get with THAT…” I still have that cassette.

Born in the 70s I’ll leave it at that ha ha.

Could write a lot but will hold off.