Game 10: 1st Place Battle in the IST

Big time battle against our ‘88 rival. Miami is not normally good for wins, but they also normally struggle early in the year. Plus they might see our record and take it easy, although I’m sure Coach Spo’s game plan is to blitz Melo and keep the ball out of his hands as much as possible.

Big game for Big Mark to prove he can bang with Bam. He struggles against physical types, love to see him fight through this time (though Bam will get the superstar treatment).

PJ sucked last game, so he’s do for a good one. He either hits everything or hits nothing. Don’t know why his calibration system can’t correct during games. Gordon gets rest so I expect better. Miller back. If Miami can’t hit their 3s, we have a good chance.

Ah shit, scratch that positivity…

Hello darkness my old friend…

They need to keep Hayward healthy. He needs to be tradeable to a contender in the next month and a half.

1 Like

Let the drinking begin, good Lord…

1 Like

Cool! Sounds like a good one for me to skip. Maybe I’ll glance at things around half time.

Losing by a margin of 20 would be a great victory tonight.

I’ll tune in when NSJ/Bailey/Leaky get minutes

Lamelo gets no calls!

I’m talking to myself in the chat. Lol

Holy shit man what a classic hornets game. Randomly play well against a good team.

I saw a smattering of good team defense and the guys going to the rim. And hilariously, hitting threes. Threes have been such a struggle this year.

And Melo get tripped at the end of the half and not get a tripping call. Classic.

Originally sent in Game 10: Heat at Hornets
cltblkhscoach

Off to a surprising good start

Key will be can the bench maintain when they come in

Cliff picked up a tech defending Lamelo. Awesome

Bryce being aggressive finally. A good sight

First quarter couldn't have gone any better

TheDorkLord

this was a pleasant surprise

GoBobcats24

Zach Zarba is a piece of trash

They are purposefully not calling shit for Lamelo

Screw them all

TheDorkLord

it is really looking obvious anymore

cltblkhscoach

Yeah it's been some real bs

GoBobcats24

That was the damn definition of a blocking foul, should have had 8 more free throws

powellrmp

Forgot about chat

hilarious how Melo can’t get a foul call

A tripping call is such a quick whistle 99% of the time

cltblkhscoach

They call that shit a foul on Melo? Bullshit

Gotta figure out that zone. Smart by Spoelstra to go to it with the bench in

spectre

Heavy lift for this lineup

GoBobcats24

This is a crooked crew, no surprise. That "foul" they called on Lamelo was a pushoff on Richardson

powellrmp

That’s bullshit

weve seen some officiating doozies so far this year

i can’t wait to find a way to get Theo off the floor. Not like Frank will be any better whenever he’s back

cltblkhscoach

Spoelstra going deep in the bag

Way for the bench to bounce back. Melo coming back soon thank goodness

spectre

Great look by Theo!

Ya frank is way worse i doubt you’ll see any better til next season

powellrmp

I’ve never been a Frank fan. I watched him in Dallas…

Buckets22

Isaiah Thomas anyone?

cltblkhscoach

How many fuckin times does a team make a buzzer beater against us

GoBobcats24

Calling sideout on that Mark catch was insane

2 shots 99% of the time

tnhornetsfan

The turnovers and officiating are awful.

Why does it seem like every team hits a buzzer beater at the end of the quarters against us.

GoBobcats24

Because they do

Heat getting every call in the book

Refs didn't expect this game to be close they are padding points

Mich_Mercer

It’s so tough to score when our whole team is hurt again. I wish we’d hire a different training staff. Or are we just that unlucky?

dnbman

LET PURPLE JESUS EAT!!!

Not watching, but closer than I anticipated when I saw the starters.

cltblkhscoach

This is where I hope the new owners invest in the franchise. It makes no sense to always have guys out.

This shit is ridiculous man

TheDorkLord

again

GoBobcats24

NO GOOD

NO GOOD

powellrmp

I swear man

so many buzzer beaters against us

GoBobcats24

It was still in his hand

We are down 7 feels like a win!

powellrmp

one every game

Well that’s good

GoBobcats24

Jaquez is very good

Mich_Mercer

I wish we’d play hard every game. We have no reason to win this one. Why can’t we fight when healthy?

+1 1
cltblkhscoach

Amen. Effort is excellent tonight

GoBobcats24

Why did they not challenge that goaltend call?

Looked clean in arena??

cltblkhscoach

It was worth a challenge on the tv replay too. Cliff asked his coaches and they said don't challenge

GoBobcats24

We dont challenge crap

We gotta save our challenge for after the damn game

Man fouling Lamelo is legal

TheDorkLord

nice!

three good trips!

Mich_Mercer

Again… play like this when healthy.

GoBobcats24

Incoming touch fouls on the Hornets

TheDorkLord

you called it

well…

powellrmp

Classic man

cltblkhscoach

NSJ!

Damn proud of these guys tonight man

+1 2
spectre

Definitely staying in the fight

GoBobcats24

Man PJ can't hit corner 3s

cltblkhscoach

Damn man. Key possessions!

spectre

playing good D just gotta score

Steelmatic

4 possessions under 3 mins that we hold them to 1 point total and we take two poor shots, turn it over twice and get nothing. SMDH

cltblkhscoach

They gotta get back to moving the ball. We can't go Iso against their half court D

As Melo.goes Iso for a layup. Lol

+1 1
dnbman

Jimmy's profile pic. nice.

GeraldWallaceMVP

These losses man

Steelmatic

Painful

cltblkhscoach

All the bandwagon heat fans in order. Smh

Tonight it hurts but it's a hell of an effort.

100 1
GoBobcats24

I'm making sure they know that they had to play this hard to beat half the Swarm

joy 1
TheDorkLord

overall it was a good game by our guys

Heat vs. Swarm lol

powellrmp

Hey man I’m stoked we kept it within 20 points!

Lol was with my youngest at the game so that’s where my attention was. Was a fun game, we were in the fight more than we had any right to be considering we really didn’t play well offensively and were getting called for fouls for every whiff of air we displaced.

1 Like

We’ve been involved in several poorly called games so far this year. Real doozies.

It does seem like there’s some intention around the way Lamelo is being officiated. It’s not as if he’s getting annihilated every time, but it is certainly a level of contact that would draw a whistle for most players of his caliber.

On another note, it was great to see some signs of life from Bryce. What we saw last night was the confidence and overall level of play that we saw briefly last year that gave us hope that he could be a rotational piece.

3 Likes

Pretty entertaining game. Miami is one of the only teams who can’t take advantage of getting so many wide open 3s against us.

As expected, good PJ last night. He’s improved his ratio of good games to clunkers from about 1 every 5 games to about 1 every 1.5 games, so its growth. I finally noticed last night, and Oglesby pointed out too, the reason his shooting is inconsistent is he’s a set shooter who can only shoot, and in no other manner, when he has a perfectly clear platform.

He can’t shoot if being rushed, or having to step back, or escape dribble, or if he’s a little off balance for whatever reason. At the end of the game when he was missing everything was because of all that, while at the beginning he had a clear runway to launch every time. Should’ve drove hard on those last two 3s. But did keep us in it overall, so good game.

I understand Cliff going with Nick because he was playing great, but guys get tired, especially guarding someone like Bam. If Cliff is insistent we have a 2 headed monster rather than a defined starter/bench hierarchy, then it should be no problem to tag them in and out to get rest and keep them fresh.

But he’s let Mark rot on the bench for like 4 of the last 5 games. Don’t know if this is that “hard” Van Gundy/Popovich coaching style, but jerking players around too much can lead to resentment and a less close locker room over time.

Young guys named Bryce and Nick looked solid. All the other young guys did not. Hopefully Bryce hitting a couple shots brings his confidence back, as he has good size to be a productive player if he wants it.

Actually proud of NSJ, he earned chance to play the closing role, and most of the 4th quarter. Hustling, playing d, playing smart - there was no chance he was taking shots from PJ or Melo, but he did hit a big clutch 3. Gaining that trust from Cliff will at least give him a few game trial run of a bench role, hope he’s able to maximize it and prove he’s a gamer.

Of course the elephant in the room. Does Melo complain a lot, yes. Should he tone it down some, yes. But it’s bordering…no not bordering, it’s become disrespectful the treatment he gets across the league. Bumps and tugs that even non stars get called for them is always overlooked when it happens to Melo. Like getting tripped over on the sideline before halftime, or one shot he was spinning and got grabbed on a turnaround, or when Highsmith smacked Melo’s arm on a pass in the 2nd half and the refs just stare at him blankly.

Or the worst one, I just remembered. We were inbounding the ball, Highsmith gets his arms tangled in Melo, who simply lifts his arms to move towards the ball. Highsmith flails, but it’s not like its major contact or anything. Most times it’s a play on, but for some reason, the all star, at home, gets an offensive foul called at him for some role player. That’s the point the disrespect became so blatantly apparent.

Jimmy will always get calls, but the way any contact on him (or even perceived contact) is interpreted to be the defense’s fault, while our guys can get hooked and slung over the court, if I’m Cliff I’m taking the fine for my guys. It needs to be called out.

Oglesby (he’s turning out to be the best studio analyst we’ve had) did mention a difference, Butler seeks contact, but in a controlled way so he can’t get called for an offensive foul. Whereas Melo “receives” contact rather than initiating it, leaving it up to the discretion of the refs to not call it. He also mentions how Miami is coached to basically foul every possession, so the refs are almost conditioned not to call contact, even though they get the whistle on the other end.

3 Likes

It’s interesting that I can’t argue anything you have said above. And at the same time I can’t think of much of it that Clifford and his staff shouldn’t be out in front on or doing something to affect a better outcome.

2 Likes

I still can’t believe there was a challenge on the Nick goaltend.

1 Like

Agreed. I get not wanting to burn a challenge early, but to me, any play where points are directly involved is challenge worthy, especially since the replay seemed to clearly show it was a good block.

Honestly, I wanted him (Clifford, or any of his assistants) to get himself tossed for the tripping non call. Just lay it all out there guy. Make the league have to look at the foul handling on our only all star, who mind you was out most of last year due to lower body injuries.

2 Likes