22-23 Hornets General Discussion

Smh. Jarace Walker, welcome to Charlotte!

2 Likes

Cheering for your team to lose is never good karma.

Was anyone at the San Antonio game before the break? Both teams were competing as hard as any two teams playing one another with all the contests at the rim. There was just as much if not more trash talking in that game than any game I can recall from this season or last season. The players on an NBA roster will never care about draft positioning- thatā€™s the potential of someone trying to take their job.

Iā€™m glad theyā€™re going after it. Losing is never good and the worst record does not ensure the #1 pick. Our Hornets will play hard unlike the organizations that are purposely tanking and end the season with something to build on and still get a top four pick, hopefully #1.

1 Like

Good game! On another note how about Malik monk with 45 against the clippers in 2OT? Happy that he has figured it out although i wish it would have been with charlotte but i unfortunately see the same thing happening with bouknight if heā€™s ever going to turn into anything

Heā€™s definitely becoming an all around player - heā€™s only shooting 33 percent from 3 point range this year but his supporting cast is probably the best heā€™s had in his career too. Maybe the best overall coach too in Mike Brown. Happy for him

The issue is with gross mismanagement of the team from the front office and a commitment to consistently field a 6-10 seed

3 Likes

Well thatā€™s where youā€™re wrong on multiple fronts.

As the tank commander, and I stand by my tank brother Chefā€™s comments. This is why I appointed him to elite tank commander status.

It doesnā€™t matter ā€œhow hardā€ this team plays. They suck. The management sucks. The coaching sucks. But yeah, rah rah team-go, fight, win. Whatever. We get it, youā€™re a better fan than us. You want the team to win games. Good on you mate.

1 Like

Malik monk scored 45 in a double ot win last night

1 Like

This is a Hornets message board so definitely not trying to exalt my level of fandom over anyone elseā€™s. Weā€™re all Hornets fans- so wrong on that front.

Second, show me where purposely tanking has resulted in the ultimate goal I think everyone on this board wants- an NBA championship.

2 Likes

No disagreement there Chef. Iā€™m just against a Houston Rockets type of situation where theyā€™re purposely tanking and in the process their players are playing bad basketball and developing bad habits.
I want our guys to continue to develop winning basketball traits and weā€™ll take our chances with the lotto balls once the season has concluded.

1 Like

Last nightā€™s game was great. I hate the weird situation in weā€™re now and find it very hard to root for GH, knowing that when we really need him, heā€™s likely to get injured. However, I canā€™t fault the guys for competing and building winning habits. Our defense was tenacious though Wolves were a bit careless also. Glad Melo won the 20 draft star victory. Iā€™m finding it easier and easier to root for him.

Fingers crossed this situation works out. Even a broken clock is right 2 times a day.

1 Like

Yes, my gripe is that they made it through the trade deadline with both Rozier and Hayward. Of course Hayward was most likely never going to be traded with his injury history this season alone. But to retain terry is just dumb.

Terry is an ideal 6th man like Lou Williams. The issue is he is a piece for after you have your core and are already a 4-5 seed.

Unfortunately, Hayward, Rozier and oubre will all win you unnecessary games.

I just hope that qcā€™s lotto math works. As long as the 4th position is safe.

1 Like

The Wolves game was a lot of fun. Minny has an absolute badass in Ant, good for them on that. We played our asses off and that imo makes for good karma IMO.

And hey, we got to see PJ play really minutes at the 5 again, that was fun.

They really should trade kat for serious pieces to build around him and gobert. Not sure what team that would be though

We are streaking at the wrong time! Going to have to shut down some guys or we might as well trade this pick too

This is kind of where I am. Tanking doesnā€™t guarantee anything. We had the worst season in NBA history and all we had to show for it at the end of the day was MKG. So what did we go through all that misery for? Donā€™t get me wrong, this season is lost. It was from the moment we learned about Milesā€™ situation. So Iā€™m not disappointed with the losses and I do want to have the best reasonable chance of landing Wemby. But where I disagree is that we needed to dismantle the roster trying to accomplish that. Letā€™s just say we had traded Terry and Kelly as some wanted. And then letā€™s say that we ended up landing Wemby after doing that. Weā€™d still just be a mediocre team with a great player who would eventually leave to go to another team where he could win, just like LeBron did, and AD, and CP3, etcā€¦

Our best shot in my opinion is to maintain a base of talent such that if we do land him, weā€™re able to take full advantage of it. Adding Wemby to a core of Lamelo, Terry, Miles, Williams, maybe Kelly, maybe PJ, puts us in a position to be legit contenders. In that regard, the silver lining to the Miles situation is that it allowed us to bottom out just enough be in a position to add a star to what was already a solid roster, kind of like how Robinsonā€™s injury allowed the Spurs to grab Duncan. Obviously not saying Miles is the equivalent of D. Robinson, but you get my point. Itā€™s going to take some serious luck to land Wemby, but if we do, adding him to our current roster would give us a chance to be something special. I think sacrificing 1.5% of ping pong balls is worth it to give us that chance.

3 Likes

Mello keep gaming & growing, even if a 30/10/10 explosion cost a handful percentage points to possibly win in a lottery drawing for unknown prospects.

Mello not playing for ping pong balls. Donā€™t care the haters & tankers that want him hurt, benched, or trash.

I 100% agree with everything you said especially as it pertains to our current situation. And while I agree that your comment ā€œtanking doesnā€™t guarantee anythingā€ is factual, hereā€™s where I would offer my onnnnly bit of push back.

I believe if you commit to bottoming out for multiple years, a la Houston, Detroit currently, Philly, Orlando, and Iā€™m sure many others over the years, it increases the odds to pick up multiple young stars and perhaps a superstar or generational talent type player in the mix.

Honestly the only time in our history I felt like we had a dynamic young duo with star potential to really make noise in the playoffs was with LJ and Zo. Back to back top 2 or better picks. Throw in Kendall Gill (top 5) within a 3 year window and we had something to be excited about. So long ago I was kid. Sure weā€™ve been able to piece together some competitive teams with the likes of glenn rice, baron davis, Kemba etc. but itā€™s never felt like the potential of that LJ / Zo combo if we could have kept it together.

You spend multiple years getting picks that high, youā€™re bound to come out with some solid to great young talent you can build around.

I just think there is a time and place for it. Especially when your franchise has been on the treadmill of mediocrity for sooooo long like the years we were capped out with overpaid role players. Led by the likes of Felton, captain Jack, Gerald Wallace etc. Felt like thatā€™s the time where you just reset, take your medicine for multiple years for the chance to finally come out with something great, young and exciting on the other end.

But I donā€™t feel that way about our current team. Melo is the best thing to happen to us since LJ and Zo. Weā€™re not capped out (yet). Weā€™re one year removed from the playin, enduring a season without our leading scorer from last year and one where melo, Hayward, Oubre, Martin and smith jr have all missed significant time with injuries. Getting relatively healthy, getting miles back, adding a one year seasoned mark Williams plus a (hopefully top 2 / young star) lottery pick and that could be a team to really get excited about. And we still have some young developmental pieces.

So no, I wasnā€™t ready to trade Terry for no other reason than to ensure more losses this year. I think weā€™re already in a good space to get some lottery luck that will propel us back to relevance sooner than later. I think itā€™s perfect timing for us to have the season weā€™re having. I just think there are times when the complete multi year tank does make sense.

3 Likes

We probably should have kept himā€¦. Like Iā€™ve been saying. But what do I know? Anytime I look at Bouknight, I throw up a little.

1 Like

Brilliant post.

If we luck into Wemby, weā€™re set (assuming heā€™s anything close to as good as everyone thinks). LaMelo, Terry, Miles, Wemby, Williams has the makings of a team that can advance in the playoffs, still has its own draft capital intact and attract good free agents that we wonā€™t have to overpay for. Still needs some D at Guard and on the Wing, but itā€™s a good team.

1 Like

Ill stay relatively mum on the winning lately. Glad for the guys and the progression of mark, but not really wanting to win games.

On the very little good nuggets of this season:

1. I like what mark is doing. Defense is there, still needs to develop offensively, but I still want to see mark shoot more. Shoot more midrange and from three. The mechanics are there.

2. I legit donā€™t care about anyone on the roster outside of Melo and Mark, but there is one other bright spot this year: DSJ. Sign this guy to an affordable 2-3 year deal as the 3rd PG. Love what heā€™s brought this year and I think this team needs him.

4 Likes