22-23 Hornets General Discussion

Over the summer I noticed Monster Mark’s quick hands and they were apparent again last night. He’s really good at gathering the ball on either end and can be pesky inside for a dude his size.

We’ve had so many bigs that just couldn’t handle the rock underneath, denying us what could have been easy garbage buckets and possibly free throws. Mark will do a lot of damage that way, as we saw last night.

Also, even though he didn’t have a lot of blocks, he was clearly making it harder for guys to get shots in near the hoop. Love that.

1 Like

Agree. That was always such a frustration of mine with our past bigs. Mark and Nick are both really good at catching and finishing. Kemba’s assist totals would’ve looked a lot different if he’d played with bigs who could catch.

1 Like

I have a totally different type of question. NBA has 3 officials: crew chief, official and umpire. Does anyone know what the different duties of each are!?

Here’s a general overview of the officials’ roles:

https://official.nba.com/rule-no-2-duties-of-the-officials/

The bottom of this page explains the specific roles a little more:

https://official.nba.com/referee-assignments/

It sounds like they’re mostly interchangeable with the Chief having added responsibilities along with leading the group and the umpire appears to be the lowest ranking of the three.

Thanks I appreciate the link. I agree it sounds like they are interchangable.

Someone pointed out to me years ago that their jersey numbers indicate their seniority. The lower the number, the more senior the official.

1 Like

Funny and unfortunately validating to hear Windhorst low key light us on fire discussing the Quinn Snyder hire ( about 30 min mark https://play.stitcher.com/episode/212349047 )

serious question: at what point does jordan consider selling?

Saw that and had the exact same thought

Any prudent business person should be assessing this. At this point, the bulk of the appreciation has occurred. The rest is more a function of inflation.

According to some rumors out there, he has considered selling.

Of course, if money is the question, I’d think they’d always be listening.

But the main major league sports teams are very rare commodities. If it’s something you like the idea of owning, you more likely to hold on to it.

100%. it is totally a status symbol now. but at this point, if you are (relatively) minor player like jordan, you can cash out on the high side and realize an enormous profit. where the people that are buying them now for $3+ billion are all a different level of wealth.

i think jordan would be wise to sell and realize the gains.

2 Likes

Oh he will

He will continue to take chips off the table and potentially sell the entire thing within a few years.

Only thing that stops that is if we somehow get good quick.

It’s almost over …

He should sell if they get good. Maximize value. If they somehow win the lottery and have a core of wem, melo and Williams it could easily add $500m to the price tag

1 Like

Question with Melo’s absence: would you just ride with what we have or would you go and get a cheap, veteran PG to at least run the offense so that others can grow in their spots?

My only concern about going with what we have is end up playing a lot of free form street ball that doesn’t help guys develop or learn proper sets and rotations.

If you do pick up somebody, who is that guy?

I had a dream last night we traded Melo, and the 29th pick for Wembe . We then took Scoot with the 2nd pick.
We I think bring Meladone back up he should know the offense.

I assume we lean hard into DSJ and see how he looks in a primary role. It’s reasonable to expect, based on the first 3 years, that Melo could miss 10 of so games annually due to his fame and injury history. And it’s a chance to fully see what we have in Theo as an option should DSJ earn himself out of a back up role here.

2 Likes

Completely forgot about Theo.

I’d definitely use what we have. I don’t love Bouk, but I think it’s time to throw him out there to finish the season. Probably a bust he really have to see what we have there.

2 Likes