Favorite choices to replace Steve Clifford

Not sure but miles was definitely carrying last night

1 Like

Adrian Griffian had a 30-13 second best record in the league at the time that he got fired. What was the Bucks choice for a replacement? Doc Rivers is way overrated and most likely is not the answer for them!

It may be too soon after he was fired to hire him but it isnā€™t like the Bucks underperformed record wise so he for sure has done enough as a head coach that somebody should take a chance on him again. He doesnā€™t deserve to be the next Vinny Del Negro!

Iā€™ll admit Iā€™m not as knowledgeable about the coaching pipeline as a lot of other people are. Itā€™s just not something I pay a lot of attention to. It seems like the popular choice is Budenholzer, which Iā€™d be fine with. But I canā€™t help but recall that there was similar buzz around Quin Snyder last year as a ā€œmust haveā€ yet the Hawks have struggled since he took over. Bud was also about to get fired for consistently underperforming in Mil just before they won, so I donā€™t necessarily see him as a canā€™t miss
hire. Given that, I also wouldnā€™t be opposed to a less established guy. DeadlySwarm makes a compelling argument for Griffin. I donā€™t think a rookie HC was necessarily a great fit for a team with established superstars who have championship aspirations like Mil, but I think he could work here.

I agree that Jackson deserves another shot somewhere. Whether heā€™s a great fit here or not I donā€™t know. Iā€™d want to understand better what went wrong in GS. Iā€™ve never heard or tried too hard to research that, but I think heā€™s definitely worthy of a close look.

Also agree with Chef that Iā€™d be skeptical of any college coach. Itā€™s just such a different game. And I also question realistically how a female head coach would be received. My daughter is really into basketball so I actually watch a fair amount of WNBA. Itā€™s completely legit in terms of the talent, coaching acumen, entertainment value, etc., but like college, it is a completely different game, and the reality is I think it would be tough for a female coach to win over an NBA locker room. Not saying itā€™s right or wrong, but I think itā€™s just the reality.

Love Staley and the Gamecocks, but see her as a Nick Saban type. Part of her talent is recruiting, which would be mostly irrelevant in the NBA.

1 Like

That100%. Wnba is that way too.

Major yikes. Hard pass. Pretty much every story Iā€™ve read about him has had references to him being a very odd person.

Edit: Iā€™m talking interpersonal standpoint-Mark seems to rub people the wrong way.

1 Like

An odd person who played a significant role in turning a losing program around. As we have seen, if an organization isnā€™t happy with their head coach there is no point too early for them to part ways with that head coach. I see no reason why a losing program would not take a chance on a fairly inexperienced, but briefly successful head coach such as coach Jackson with no real mark against him other than what a few people have said!

As far as most of the players that played for him are concerned, he deserves another job as a head coach. That has to mean quite a bit!

I have seen murderers, rapist and people like Miles Bridges get more chances and true forgiveness than what coach Jackson has gotten, ā€œand many of them suffer from mental illness.ā€ As far as I know coach Jackson hasnā€™t done anything close to criminal or been diagnosed with a mental illness, and/or is taking medication for such. He made a few people in the organization and among the free press feel uncomfortable. How dare him!!!

I say chalk it up to the likelihood that Mark Jackson was too open with his faith and for some people that was enough to cost him his job and have had him blacklisted.

I would love to see coach Jackon get a fair chance at returning to be a head coach. Even if the job he got was with our Hornets. That may just be me though. Remember I did say fair chance and not some job set up for him being likely to fail and further tarnish his reputation!

2 Likes

Call me old school, but just as I believe in the separation between church and state, I believe in the separation between church and basketball.

ā€¦Orā€¦Maybe mark can perform an exorcism to cast out the demons from this hornets team and replace those demons with the healing power of Christ.

Maybe the team just needs a ā€œbaptism by fireā€.

Or instead of rookie hazing, mark will institute rookie Wednesday night youth group meetings for them.

Itā€™s not necessarily a matter of preaching or any of the other stuff you mentioned as it is a matter of boldly professing your faith when the time is right. Itā€™s also a matter of setting standards that are based on your faith. There is no need to preach but if players curse and act out or play music that is offensive not only to devout Christians but to any decent law abiding person, then you let those players know.

I find that simply professing my faith all the time is not what is called for. I donā€™t do that. However, if asked you will find no shame in me doing so. If people on a job donā€™t like the bosses rules and/or beliefs there are ways they can protest that. However, the GS Warriors I saw under coach Jackson were a team on the rise and if they were offended in any way you would never know it.

Many people who were anti Christian and found a problem with accepting any faith in regards to their jobs and places of higher learning are now fervent Christians who boldly profess their faith. They are better off for it!

Live any way you choose but if you ask me about anything regarding my faith I will proudly and boldly tell you what is aflame and born inside me. I am far from living up to Godā€™s standards but I will never be ashamed of knowing Christ Jesus and his love!

By choice I think helpful discussions on Wednesdays or any day/days of the week would be good. Nobody should have to accept any kind of religion but the option of being a part of religious activities or helpful activities shouldnā€™t be dissolved because some people are uncomfortable with them!

2 Likes

Hereā€™s the thing Powell, many many coaches say things publicly and to the team that are not just basketball.

Had I been a member of either the warriors or spurs when their respective coaches go off on yet another current event rant completely unrelated to basketball, I would not have reacted in a positive manner. I may not have vocally objected but it is distracting from the goal of the team nonetheless.

The point I am trying to make is that focusing on his professions of faith as the reason seems to be cherry picking. Especially, when he says it wasnā€™t the case and there isnā€™t evidence from any of the former players that that was in fact what caused the issues.

He could have just a completely abrasive personality or not be a good coach. But to say it is just his faith professions seems shortsighted

Chef, I am not about anyone forcing religion or anything else on anyone. The point I am making is that as Christians we are many times put on the spot in regards to our beliefs and the extent of them. While I donā€™t think it is time for a sermon I do find we should boldly be proud of Christ Jesus and our faith and address any questions openly and honestly that are asked in regards to our faith. We really know nothing about what may have gone wrong between coach Jackson and those he upset. I simply speculated it was his faith due to my own personal issues. Forgive me for making assumptions!

From what I have read and from the turnaround success of the Warriors under Mark Jackson it appears Mark being out of coaching as long as he has been is uncalled for! I wouldnā€™t be surprised if faith in Jesus didnā€™t play a part!

1 Like

Sounds like the biggest statement of faith is that Mark Jackson did nothing whatsoever wrong at a fundamental level but heā€™s been ignored for every single head coaching opportuntiy for 10 years for no real reason other than heā€™s religiously oppressed.

The other reality is that he has zero wants to be a coach again.

All Iā€™m saying is that I read plenty of stories that highlight how all sorts of people in markā€™s past have had issues with him. There seems to be some sort of drama that he brings.

It seems there are a plethora of interpersonal issues that have arisen relating to mark jackson. Even aside from the religious stuff. The religious stuff isnā€™t even so much the problem.

When I hear a lot of stories that continue to highlight high conflict interpersonal issues, thatā€™s a red flag. And yeah, some of the religious stuff didnā€™t land well with people.

(So no one needs to come at me for admonishing religion. Iā€™m not. Iā€™m just saying that it doesnā€™t work for a lot of people)

1 Like

This is more to what I was getting at. Stories arenā€™t lining up. I donā€™t buy powellā€™s line of reasoning that it is solely a proselytizing reason particularly in a league where the majority of the players wouldnā€™t be offended that badly anyway.

I also donā€™t think it is solely a case of some sort of lockout by other teams.

I also donā€™t think it is solely he doesnā€™t want to coach because he has directly said otherwise.

It is interesting though

Iā€™m not saying that. I know Iā€™m the resident heathen here at HP, but thatā€™s not what Iā€™m saying. Itā€™s a part of it, but thereā€™s a larger picture than just the religious stuff.

1 Like

I agree with Powell here.

Though I do think Mark Jackson probably does deserve another shot but I donā€™t think it needs to be here. Thereā€™s also another aspect which is he hasnā€™t been an NBA head coach for nearly a decade whilst the game has drastically changed in that time

Not directed at anyone. Since Mark Jacksonā€™s name was brought up the other day and the possibility of him not getting another job since GS was because of being outspoken about his faith, Iā€™ve been thinking. In our society, people seem to get multiple chances for all sorts of actions that are deemed wrong. Discussion of things, and use of language, that others find offensive is the norm. However, it seems to me that being outspoken about ones religious beliefs, in particular, Jesus Christ, is one thing that might get a person frowned upon, ignored, ridiculed, discriminated against, or even ā€œcancelledā€. Our culture seems to tolerate almost anything, except Jesus. Now, I am not for Jackson being the Hornets next coach. I know itā€™s superficial really, but I just donā€™t like him as an announcer. Nothing more than that. Sorry for the rant. Back to the Hornets!

2 Likes

To consider:

1. People still see a lot of ridicule and are ā€œcanceledā€ for a lot of things, but most of us arenā€™t mindful of it (in fact, if we hear it, it seems natural or just) unless we identify with what the person is being canceled for.
  2. Faith is widely accepted and even desired for things like political office. (Like this Gallup poll where 80% of respondents would vote for a qualified Evangelical Christian where as only 60% would vote for a qualified atheist.) In sports in particular, faith seems like more of a positive thing than a negative thing. Itā€™s only certain actions (typically coercion of some type to participate in spiritual activities) that become a problem.

I have no idea why Jackson isnā€™t coaching. But if it had to do with religion, I would think it has much less to do with expressing Christian faith, which seems like most athletes and coaches do, and if anything more to do with inappropriate sermonizing or coercion to participate in things players didnā€™t want to. But again, I have zero evidence of any of this. I suspect heā€™s just hard to get a long with, faith aside.

1 Like

Super hard no to Mark Jackson. Major hard pass.

1 Like