The Machine: Albert Pujols

As a lifelong Cardinals fan, it’s hard to describe what this season has been like for us fans of the Birds on the Bat.

Albert now has 703 home runs and trails only Henry Aaron in career RBI.

It’s truly been a storybook season. A few years ago when Albert returned to StL as a member of the Angels I was blessed to have tickets to that series all weekend. When Albert homered on Saturday I admit I got all choked up. My wife rolled her eyes and said, “You didn’t even cry at our wedding.” I replied, “True. But Albert has been a part of my life longer than you have.” That went over like a pregnant pole vaulter.

Albert is in the inner sanctum of the Hall of Fame. “He’s a first ballot hall of Famer” they’ll say as a compliment. Yeah, no kidding. He’s in the Holy of Holies. There are HOFers that don’t even belong in the same conversation as Albert. His peers are few and far between. Ruth, Aaron, Williams, Mays, Mantle, Musial, DiMaggio.

He’s in the elite wing of the Hall.

By the way, the Cardinals are the anti-Hornets. The seemingly always make the right decision are always in the playoffs. You know, completely unlike the Hornets

1 Like