Who makes the 15-man roster 2021-22?

Is Cody Martin or Iwundu a legit player?

The bigger question is, how do the younger, more talented players feel about their minutes being zapped by the less talented coach’s pet aka the martins?

None of that is for me to decide. I don’t have a deep enough understanding of how those guys contribute to success of how they are viewed by their peers. And to be frank, most of us don’t here either. Younger and more talented doesn’t necessarily translate into team success.

But one thing I know for sure is that it’s sending the wrong message to the rest of the players and generating a powder keg if you start making personnel decisions on whose people’s buddies are versus how they contribute to the team.

Again, I’m not judging one way or the other on the guys in question. Just pointing out that adding a guy just to appease a star can have some potentially very negative consequences.

1 Like

I’m still under the impression that its gonna be Cody vs. Iwundu and Richards vs. Carey for that last 2 slots (unless we brought in a last minute end of bench C and PG). Ironic in a way though since in the past Mitch always wanted to leave a spot open.

3 of them though has guaranteed money. Interesting how the end of the roster would play out. On Gelo, only way for me he can make the team is through the 2 way contract, which I’m not sure can still be retracted from either Lewis or Kulboka

Agree with, Iwundu seems odd take. Maybe simple as we gave first, you take this

More convoluted, inwundu part original trade going to Memphis, had to take to get Memphis send us 2015 Tyler Hervey draft rights
not special international journeyman, but did lead Illawarra Hawks in scoring this year

I am sure Iwundu was a salary dump to create money AND space. Now he’s our problem unless w can flip him w someone else (exactly like what was done to us) to another team. I hope that is the plan.

When you look at NY and Atl you have to start wondering how they got so far ahead of us. I think it’s because they have limited their “upside” guys and hired more guys who can play now. We have a great young core but there are a few guys who need to “figure it out” on another team.

The really bad thing about the 2nd round rookies from last year is that they’ve been familiar w the playbook and coaches for a year now. They have practice w the the team for a year. They know the speed of the game from actual game time experience. Yet they have had worse games than Gelo and Kulboka. That is not good.

I know it’s summer league but if you can’t outplay a guy who has not played organized bball in two years then that is really bad for your job prospects. As for the two 2021 first rounders, their performance should help people remember that they are rookies. We would be LUCKY to get 15 minutes from them each night.

Kai needs to live in the weight room and in Greensboro. After the all-star break, if he’s added 10-15 pounds and shown some improvement, absolutely bring him up.

2 Likes

15 man roster news kinda. PJ Washington trending on Twitter this morning. Rumor is he has to pay Brittany Renner $200k per month for 18 years “child support”. She secretly filed for divorce (I don’t know if they were actually married) 2 weeks after she got pregnant. Now she makes 2.4 million a year, and on PJs rookie salary he will struggle to pay it, all the while seemingly being the one taking care of the child. I actually doubt the $$ amount considerably, but still, regardless of the amount, she should go to prison.

She doesn’t care about that kid, she just cares about the money it brings her. I feel so bad for PJ, although it seemed everyone in the world may have known she was trouble except him.

I worry what this has done to him psychologically.

The NBA is placing summer league highlights on YouTube. Just do a search for hornets summer league.

Sometimes you’ve got to own your s**t decisions. This is what happens when you make decisions whilst ignoring the evidence in front of you.

On another note, someone needs to take that man’s phone, his Twitter is ridiculous.

That’s why you don’t think with your dick.

I really worry for PJ’s mental state and how that might, likely will, impact his on court performance.

In my head I view him as our 4 & 5 on the bench, playing circa 36 mins a night. This is the role Kai will be looking to take next season. We also have Thor in the pipeline. Miles’ play also likely impacts on whether we trade PJ or extend him. Big, big year for PJ ahead.

1 Like

PJ…

1 Like

I think Gelo has given a pretty good account for himself. Especially in the second game of crappy "every man for himself, basketball where he was more or less stone walled by his teammates.

I am not an obsessed fan either but I can see him helping a team that treats him like a teammate as opposed to an opponent.

I am sure that is just me though.

1 Like

Looks like the center position is set w 4 guys:

Four spots will go to the 5 position.

Where did you read in the article that all four guys would be on the roster?

they can totally hone their skills in greensboro.

Keeping family and friends on a roster to appease the face of the franchise is common today but never have I heard of team doing that for a rookie no matter how high his ceiling is. That’s sending a bad message.

1 Like

Kupchak said the plan is to develop the team’s three young centers in hopes that at least one blossoms into a star in the next couple of years.

I read it as the 3 have to be on the roster in order to meet that criteria of “plan to develop” and we know Mason is penned in at starting center. The time lines (to develop) could be just during SL but that seems unlikely. Also, they can always cut one of Vern/Nick out of band to the plan.

Im not sure if we can cut Carey easily. Didn’t we give him a three or four year deal last season?

It looks, per Spotrac, that we have one more guaranteed year with Vernon than Nick who’s only guaranteed this upcoming season.