2023 draft thread

Now that the draft is settled and there is some clarity on direction:

It is 100% critical that Charlotte nailed the Miller pick. Not is relative terms to Scoot’s performance but in terms of Miller being able to be the 1st or 2nd of a 3 man core. Anything less and I really do think it’s doomsday. Like if he turns out to be RJ Barrett, game over.

So let’s just assume he will as we don’t have a choice.

Regarding this year’s restricted free agents:
You can’t bring back both at what is considered average market rate. They become anchors to your flexibility and bad contracts instantly. They just don’t perform to that level. So if you want one, fine. I wouldn’t but I can live with one.

On terry, I am not saying now nor have I said you just have to dump him. Sure, if a deal for an expiring and an asset comes up, I would do it. But chances are it won’t. The key to Terry is finding a better use of his salary allotment. Something that makes the roster better. He is an ideal 6th man. He is less than ideal as the starting sg next to Melo. They just don’t get it done against good teams down the stretch.

Hayward, at this point, let him expire unless you can package him into someone like Pascal sikam, paul george, a starting sg etc.

What you can’t do is lock yourself into a team that doesn’t move the needle past the first round of the playoff, gets very little national attention and expect Melo to just stay out of loyalty while he loses millions of dollars in endorsement deals not playing in a market that matters.

Does that make sense?

So let’s assume we don’t trade Terry and Gordon but don’t but re-sign Miles, PJ or Kelly which is your preference. I guess my question would be, do you think the addition of Miller, is enough for us to be a playoff team this year? If not, what do you think that means for Melo’s desire to stay here?

And lastly, do you feel that even if that meant we lost Melo, that would still be preferable to locking into a core that includes Miles/PJ and/or Kelly?

1 Like

Continuing the discussion from Off Season Changes?:

Ok, Hornets686 seems like a nice fella, he’s also been advocating for trading our starting lineup for Shabazz Napier to lead us to the finals since 2005, and then bringing back Kemba, Lamb, El-Amin, Okafor, Scotty Burrell, and every other Husky legend to turn us into UConn south.

So I’m sorry, one singular dude, not dudes, who likes having fun suggesting out of this world trades to bring us Husky love, does not count as a segment of this board wanting to trade Melo for Wiseman.

I think he was obsessed with Shabazz Mohammed too if I’m not mistaken, just to have all the Shabazz’szs

Wiseman isn’t even with the warriors anymore

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s good to get a glimpse into the time, money, manpower and care put into these kids. These professionals are under appreciated.

I do like the aggregated rankings and this is the 1st one that I’ve seen for next season plus it’s only two days old/stale so I thought I would share:

Plus it helps me not to worry about Kai when thinking basketball.

Keeping an eye on the two guards and I am not sure if Bronny should be drafted at all.

LeBron can have ESPN write all the articles he wants, no way he is a lotto pick with the heart issue. I would think no way he’s a first rounder

I hope I don’t get poo poo’d, but I still have a soft spot for Scoot. I keep up with him and Portland. I’ve heard general internet chatter about him being a potential bust and I think that’s crazy. 19 years old and adjusting to one of the hardest positions in sports will take more than a quarter season. Once he got the glasses he’s looked great.

Over the last ten games he’s been 30% from three, big improvement. He’s looked like the guy people thought he’d be over the last 5-7 games.

Edit: don’t come at me. I love miller and I’m glad we have him.

Nothing wrong with being a fan of other players. We love basketball so it’s ok to like a guy even if he’s not one of our 15. I’m not as much of a college bball fan these days, but back in the day I followed ACC basketball obsessively (the real ACC, before the merger with the Big East). I’d track on all the ACC guys whatever team they were on. They were easy to root for because after watching them in college for 3-4 years they felt like family.

I wasn’t necessarily enamored with Scoot but I have no reason to want him to fail. Glad he’s finding his legs.

Based on this link, he recently got contacts. I’m trying to figure out if the goggles are a vision corrective replacement themselves or just a barrier to touching his contacts. They look vision corrective to me. I still don’t understand why he can’t have side transparent, curved, Kareem goggles instead of something that blocks peripheral vision. But, whatever works!

I wish Melo would have the same willingness to try things to help him on the court…like being open to ankle braces.