2023 Free Agency and Off-Season Action

Thank you. Good to have a reality check.

Weā€™re just reading the tea leaves. There are lots of rumors that we want Miles back and Mitch apparently has a crush on PJ.

Not critical of the poster, very critical that these are tea leaves

@Dav Miller is a better fit based on the roster right now, yes. But - and this is plausible - if we resign PJ and Miles and DSJ elects to go play somewhere else, we need a guard badly. Because Bouknight canā€™t be trusted, and we donā€™t know if Codyā€™s knee is gonna be stable.

In that scenario, Henderson makes a lot more sense than Miller. And thatā€™s not out of the realm of possibility.

Either way, Henderson would be good from the leadership and locker room standpoint. Some guys need to grow up over there and by all accounts Henderson is mature beyond his years.

1 Like

I like both players but I think we could entice teams that we want Scoot and fleece them for a bigger 2 guard and bring in Miller as well.

Wish we could get rid of terry and Hayward and find a way to also get the number 3 pick to land miller.

Melo
Scoot
Miller
Miles
Marky mark

You could but it will cost you melo

I would argue that when you consider talent level, productivity and availability, Terry has been our best player over the past several years. While legitimate points around fit and consolidation of assets have been made, I continue to be amazed by the fervor with which people seem to want him off the team. Iā€™ve never understood it. Heā€™s quite possibly the most under-appreciated player in the history of the Hornets in my opinion.

1 Like

I like Terry a lot too. Happy if we keep him around. But I think weā€™ve likely seen close to his ceiling, and Iā€™m not sure itā€™s enough to get us where we want to be. Iā€™d be very happen to be proven wrong.

I havenā€™t been eager to get rid of Terry either. Miller is my pick for now but I get the arguments for Scoot and wonā€™t be mad if heā€™s the pick. But if he is the pick then thatā€™s when I think thereā€™s some pressure to try to move Terry. For one, if we bring in Scoot it better be because he is ā€œThat Guyā€ as many seem to think. And if he is that guy, he needs to start sooner rather than later. Terry may be an ideal piece off the bench but itā€™s hard for me to see him taking that role with this team because as was said he has in many ways been our best, most available player. It would be a hard ask for Clifford and an expensive sixth man on a long term deal. If we pick Scoot I think we have to hope we could move Terry but Iā€™d still want value for him.

1 Like

Absolutely this.

If we draft Miller, thereā€™s no more reason to trade Terry than existed before, in fact maybe slightly less as Millerā€™s a good defender.

However, if we draft Scoot, there simply arenā€™t the minutes available to warrant keeping Terry (skill level and contract) on a roster that has a #3 pick and #2 pick in the backcourt. That said, and Iā€™ve said this before, I donā€™t mind Terryā€™s contract (relative to the league & coming salary cap expansion) so would expect some sort of value back.

1 Like

Iā€™m a big Terry fan. I love his heart, his never say die attitude. He has that cold blooded killer mentality at the end of games, and is normally the catalyst for our comebacks, whether we come all the way back or not.

If we had a fully healthy roster, him and Melo work fine in the backcourt to me, but we never really got to see it up and running for long periods of time.

To me, itā€™s not that heā€™s a bad fit at all, itā€™s just not the ideal, or most efficient fit. Heā€™s not old, but heā€™s a touch older than our growth timeline.

Not that theres anything wrong with older vets, but if he plays a duplicative position as our star young foundational pieces (if we get Scoot), then that development and investment time MUST go to them at the expense of Terry. And limited minutes with Terry is not worth the bigger (albeit reasonable) contract he has.

And with that as part of the calculation, his value right now is as good as it can be, and we would get the biggest return on investment for his ability now.

I know theres a human side to everything, heā€™s been great to have in Charlotte and cheer for, but if we ever want to finally get out of this rut here, we have to make business moves to make the roster make more sense for the future. Getting a good asset for Terry helps more than him taking a diminishing role and salary space here for our future.

2 Likes

Love you Terry. Terr-bear. Love your heart and everything you gave this team. With your own hands, you willed this team to victory with many 4th quarter heroics. He snatched victories out of the jaws of defeat, many a times. I mean, really inspiring stuff.

But that contract is scary, Terry. And weā€™re gonna have to Scoot you out of town. Even if your contract makes it hard to trade you.

Itā€™s done. The terry rozier in charlotte is now on a countdown.

Any word on Miles Bridges? Is there a deadline we need to be aware of?

I have been moving forward with the notion that Miles will be a Hornet this season. Is everyone else on the same page with that? Iā€™m wondering what kind of contract heā€™ll sign.

Iā€™m also if the opinion that the hornets shouldnā€™t sign both miles and PJ.

In both cases Miles and PJ it will depend what offer we have to match both are RFA. We have no idea what either will be offered. We might get a real bargin or either will be to expensive to sign.

I would like a line up of Melo, Miller. Miles ,PJ ,Mark or Melo, Scoot, Miles, PJ, Mark

WITH Terry, Hayward, Martin, Richards off the bench as rotation players.
Thats a deep strong line up a sixth seed at least.

I think youā€™re probably right, and the front office brings back both Miles & PJ.

However, I just canā€™t get on board with the notion of Miles on this roster. That said, I fully expect it to happen. A lot of us have posted about culture. What does it say to the younger players, like Williams, Thor and Bryce, who all appear to be good dudes, that theyā€™ll have Miles Bridges in their locker room? LaMelo is a unique character, and I know he and Miles were/are friends, but I donā€™t want him mixing with anyone capable of doing what Miles repeatedly did.

My one hope is that the front office holds his feet to the flames over the contract. If weā€™re going to have that piece of shit on the roster, it canā€™t be for a contract that all but ignores what he did.

2 Likes

Kitch, we are completely on the same with this one sir.

No freaking joke - we need to go after Lonzo.

Sure heā€™s broken but as a 3rd PG and solid to Melo heck yeah. The problem is that Chicago will try to jack the price on him to make up for their mistake of giving him all of that money. Make an effort to show Melo that you are trying and seriously committed to him.

Oh yeah we would need to restructure his contract to something team friendly but I donā€™t know if that happens in bball.

No way. He canā€™t stay on the court.

If not for his injury, heā€™d be a great fit. Exactly what we need. But, that injury, and its continuing nature, make any trade highly, highly unlikely.