2023 Free Agency and Off-Season Action

Before I saw this I had been thinking the Suns would be a prime candidate to trade Terry IF we really wanted to get off his contract. They have limited ways to get better. But that’s the thing, I don’t see what would make sense for us. We don’t want Ayton anymore. They spent all their near future draft capital on Durant. I don’t see what they can offer that would help us get better.

1 Like

Exactly. I wouldn’t quite go as far as to say we’re set at center but I don’t think it makes sense to invest $30M in the position with the promising option we already have in place with Williams. Especially considering the whole point of trading Terry is getting off the contract. Plus Ayton comes with some baggage in apparent attitude issues.

1 Like

Last season I’d of definitely traded for Ayton but at this point I wouldn’t plus I feel like Mark has the ability to be as good if not better than Ayton

2 Likes

I’d worry they want to send out CP3 for that. Not sure how it works w/ his 30m guaranteed/15m non-guaranteed contract however. Mark me down and “do not want” wrt Ayton and they don’t have that many other guys under contract.

Don’t make me keep posting this

die-is-not-what-i-would-choose-i-would-rather-die

3 Likes

No they are not. Just play Williams. Why are you in a hurry to pay $30 mil to a center not named jokic or embiid?

1 Like

Unless you have a center like Jokic or Embiid, putting big bucks in the center position is a money sink. They don’t impact the game like they used to.

Big Mark has a much higher motor than Ayton, and potential to be a more dominant type defender. If they’re talking a 3 teamer with Ayton going somewhere else, Terry going to them, and us getting a pick and solid young prospect, or good veteran presence for the roster, then sure.

1 Like

There’s no one on the Suns not named Devin Booker who interests me. I wouldn’t even want to mortgage our future for the one or two good years KD has left.

1 Like

So I’m going to be in the minority opinion on this, but I think Durant has plenty of good basketball left in him.

I’m not saying we should go after Durant. The cost would be insane.

I still think Terry rozier to the lakers makes sense….so that we can get Mo Bamba as a part of the deal…

Bring back DSJ

3 Likes

Time for Terry to Scoot it and boot it

Do you guys think there is any way we’d bring Rozier off the bench if we are unable to trade him. Would be a pretty insane 6th man. Just a thought. I wouldn’t want to give up assets to let him go to be honest.

1 Like

If a beneficial deal can’t be found, that’s the ideal position for him anyway

1 Like

Most realistic situation is Rozier starts the season and FO looks to trade him mid season when his value will be highest. Also lets Scoot acclimate a little bit.

I actually think drafting Scoot makes signing DSJ even more important. I think DSJ would be a great vet on the bench to offer Scoot a great mentor.

And I’d hope DSJ’s defensive habits would rub off on scoot. And the team needs the defense of DSJ anyways

I guess put me in the other camp. I don’t want a small back court . Mello don’t play defense and Scoot like Terry is too small to guard the shooting guard position. I just would like more size and defense in the back court. Not talent but fit Miller is the better option . Saying I am not sure what the right move would be. Scoot might be the better way to go .
I love the pick and we have tons of options we can make . I can see us as a playoff team with the right moves for years to come.

1 Like

What if there already is a model for a multiple guard oriented team?

Starters:
Fox - 6’3
Huerter 6’7

Bench:
Monk - 6’3
Mitchell - 6’0

Ours would be
Melo - 6’7
Scoot - 6’2

Terry - 6’2
DSJ - 6’2

I think its comparable in the sense that there is a do everything, cat-quick guard who can get in the paint and get off any shot at will, a long range sniper, on offensive oriented spark plug off the bench, and a bulldog defender off the bench.

They overwhelmed teams with their unstoppable guards, and of course, a well rounded roster with threats at all levels. But it can work, and Melo is of course a better passer than all of them. Scoot might be the second best passer of them all too.

So I think Terry would definitely be a huge part of a killer offensive guard brigade for us, but with his salary, I would probably see what takers he has to consolidate talent and even out the roster. But its not necessarily a must to do right away if we get Scoot.

Looking at Hoopshype, the Hornets would have 13 contracts if they sign PJ and Miles. Then the 2nd pick is 14. They don’t usually use 15.

That leaves off resigning DSJ, Oubre, Maledon and Svi. It also leaves little room for the 27th pick much less 2, 2nd rounders. Those can be 2 ways though.

At this point, Bouk and Kai are kind of wasted roster spots. That, and for some reason they signed Kobi Simmons late in the season.

I don’t think DSJ wants to resign here if we draft Scoot anyway.

If Cody Martin’s knee is cooked….

Who knows what’s up with that smh.

1 Like

Everytime I read a roster projection and see “if they sign PJ and miles” my insta-reaction is why would we do that?

I just can’t get behind either of those guys eating up north of $12m of cap space let alone whatever PJ thinks he’s getting.

It’s like starting the race with your shoelaces tied together

1 Like