Hornets @ Cavs Game Thread

I take it back. Miles getting PAID. Those 80/4 numbers being thrown about gonna be looking small by the time the off season comes.

1 Like

Put in Kai!

Yeah, heā€™s probably going to be a $100M guy or more if he can keep showing that outside shot.

And the restā€¦

Following this franchise for 14 years and seen some of the absolute shower of $^*? Weā€™ve happily thrown big contracts and extensions at over the years.

Miles deserved to get paid this off season. Hate to be a downer after a solid win and a 2-0 start but things could get ugly next off season.

On a positive note, another solid win and that ability to step it up a gear in the 4th is big. Long may it continue.

1 Like

That was a really solid run in the 4th. Team really looked good there. Solid win.

1 Like

Good guys win again even with so many Debbie downers on the site. This team is playoff good and better than most of you think.
Prumdog 14 boards in20 mins
Martin 8 boards and solid defense and solid points
Oubre Miles. Hayward Melo , all solid
Terry will come around PJ will get better
This team is deep real deep. Netā€™s will have to play hard to get a win Sunday .

1 Like

Maybe it was the bourbon but I was shocked to see miles with 30 pts. It was a quiet 30. Plumber played well. He definitely does alot of things Cody doesnā€™t, especially finishing at the rim.

1 Like

I personally am digging the auto rebounding from Plumbs. And Kelly, if he can spike games like tonight from time to time, thatā€™s huge.

1 Like

And this guy, heā€™s not going to score a lot of points but the offense does not lose a beat when he swaps in for Melo. Something else weā€™ve not had but really need

1 Like

The way the Cavs ran out of gas in the second half makes me wonder if the Hornets are just in much better game shape. Their bigs disappeared in the second half. Sexton vs. the world isnā€™t how theyā€™ll win.

Yeah, I think that run where they turned it over several possessions in a row without getting it into the front court kind of demoralized the team and made Sexton press.

One thing Iā€™m really liking about a squad at the moment (center depth aside) is that we have lots of guys who can generate a bucket if needed and everyone appears happy to share. Fingers crossed that stays the case.

They do scramble things up well, on both sides of the court. I think Martin, Oubre and Smith contribute a ton to that.

The expected scoring concerns havenā€™t played out and the guys ability to find a higher gear in the second half has given us 2 wonderful and exciting games to start the season.

Plumlee also has seemed to get a whole lot more effective in the paint after halftime.

1 Like

During the 2nd half of the Pacers game I kept thinking ā€œMan theyā€™re scrappy as hellā€ lol.

1 Like

Game thoughts:

Nice win. Donā€™t like slow starts. When we play good teams, we wonā€™t be able to do that and win.

Love that we have 6 guys who can score 30-40 points on a given night. How many teams can say that?

Love the bench too man.

Melo: So solid and smooth man. Turning into a true court general. Love how he starts high stepping as he runs down the courtā€¦ endless energy. When he gains 20 lbs, he will be unstoppable.

Miles: Seems so comfortable. Canā€™t believe he has developed that smooth shot. Great game on all fronts.

Terry: Rusty but will be fine. We have not needed him yet. Love his game, so tough to guard. Smooth

Gordo: Smooth manā€¦ smooth. Guy is so good and is definitely our universal joint as he does so much more than score. I would credit him as much as Oubre for Kellyā€™s big game.

Plumlee: Nice rebounding game. Did not realize he was as good of an athlete as he is.

Oubre: Guy is sooooo athletic. I cringe when he shoots but this guy is one of the best 6/7th men we have had in the last 20 years. Love his defense and driving ability. He is more of an aware basketball player than I thought.

Ish: Dang man, that car is fast and very aware of the court. Has a sneaky good offensive game and we donā€™t lose an ounce of energy when he comes in.

PJ: Playing tough and will have his time in the sun. Playing with a lot of heart and Iā€™m excited about what he could do this year.

Cody: actually had a very good game. That rebound and pass to Gordo was a turning point. Iā€™m fine with him being our weakest link until Jalen and Bouk are ready.

3 Likes

Cody Martin has taken a very noticable step forward. Great to see.

And yeah, I am fully immersed on team I love Oubre haha

1 Like

Actually, Cody is pretty much the same player heā€™s been the past two years. Heā€™s brought this same effort and energy since day 1. Seems that people are finally starting to appreciate him now though.

3 Likes

Good call demondeacat

Disagree, I think he looks more poised and polished out there. And itā€™s gotten better over the past two years. Particularly his offensive game and shooting. I think itā€™s a bit if revisionist history to say he more less looks the same.

He looks like a good role player who has settled into his game. My biggest issue was that he was playing more than 20 minutes regularly, which was (and still is) too many minutes. Heā€™s great for 15-20 minutes. Or maybe a spot start when weā€™re decimated by injuries.

Iā€™d imagine his minutes will decrease to a more appropriate range of 15ish when bouknight starts getting time. If not, Martin will continue to be a source of annoyance if he takes minutes from bouknight.

Iā€™m going to agree with Demon here. I think he probably does look more poised, but I think that has a lot more to do with the role heā€™s now playing with more legit ball handlers around him as opposed to often being a playmaker that was going to make mistakes. He can truly just be a hustle guy now and be a difference maker. I think that will help his shooting too as he plays in a more defined role and able to get in rhythm better.