Hornets Head Coaching search (2022)

Feel like you go back to my early posts on JB being terminated and searching for a replacement was my concern that we weren’t a destination because of how we (poorly) paid assistants. Super bummed to be on the right page here.

1 Like

This is very concerning. A HC should be able to pick his own staff and they need to be payed a competitive salary. This is the NBA, not a middle school program. Gesh!

2 Likes

I just was about to post this, but it is VERY difficult as a new head coach to have to inherit assistant coaches from a previous regime that were probably mostly loyal to the guy that got fired. Now on a professional level, I’m sure it happens and you can make it work, but still you would think something like this would have came up in the THREE interviews prior to this point.

I mean good grief, I feel like the Hornets would have made this clear and so would have had Atkinson. It’s kind of a big deal to get thoughts on who’s going to help you as a possible head coach, and what slots the team are willing to give you, and roughly what they would be able to provide.

I mean I’m sure there can be negotiations based on factors, but there had to be a baseline expectation and if Kenny didn’t like it, once again, don’t accept the damn job in the first place.

4 Likes

Do we even want this stuff out there right now? I’d say stay silent unto you have a signed contract.

2 Likes

He’s back!

I smell bullshit here though. I get it, Hornet’s management has notoriously been inept and in disarray. But it really feels like they’re tying to use that old reputation to save face.

Has anyone anywhere seen any quotes from Kenny the Coward yet? Like all these days and he can’t answer any questions, or even release a statement? You renege on a deal, sure its your right as a living breathing asshole, but maybe you should I don’t know, state your reasons from your own quivering mouth.

Plus, the narrative was all about it his kids who love the Bay, he doesn’t want to uproot them again. But now, after all the financial negotiations over 3 interviews, he’s satisfied with his pay but not the assistants? Maybe there was a disagreement here or there, but I’m not buying that that’s the actual reason Chicken Shit Kenny whimpered away into hiding.

6 Likes

I’m with you QC. I know this franchise has it’s share of disfunction and poor decision making, but I’m pinning this on Atkinson. There were three interviews, the matter of assistant coaches was absolutely discussed.

I’m not about to try to pin this on our FO. This is on Atkinson. Even with the information coming out about the assistant coaches at etc., why did he agree to it then? Come on.

6 Likes

Warriors panicked and couldn’t afford to lose tbier top 2 assistants and basically cheated to keep Kenny.

Karma will get them for sure.

1 Like

If the “have to keep the assistants” is true, that’s Bush League.

Don’t fire the head coach if that’s the case.

If this were the case why is Triano in Sac?

Doubt that this is anywhere near “full story”. I mean how many seconds of negotiation took place between the time that he “committed” until the time the finals ended?

Again, stinks of Warriors having more to do with it than Hornets.

1 Like

Yeah, who knows what’s true anymore. I was merely saying IF it’s the case

1 Like

IMO the Warriors are trying to avoid becoming an “example piece” in the next CBA.

Did they technically do anything against the rules? No, but they laid out the framework to totally screw over a franchise for sure.

2 Likes

I’m with you. I hate to sound like “that guy”, but the more I hear the less I believe. I would wonder where and who this “new information” is coming from. Because I’m sure it’s coming from the Warriors/Atkinson camp. This isn’t Mitch’s first time on the merry go round. He knows how shit works. And he’s probably not used to someone conducting themselves with such little professionalism. Mitch has been around the league and FO for a long time. He’s no dummy. He got an agreement from Atkinson, and respected that. Mitch understands that Atkinson needs to get through the finals before finalizing.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. I’m glad Atkinson will not be our coach. This is not the behavior or communication from a real leader. Shit like this will lose respect in the locker room in a fucking heartbeat.

4 Likes

Let’s just fire Dantoni and pretend like this never happened…. If only he was younger…

Is this a freudian slip? ;D “fire D’Antoni”

I don’t see the problem with age. Larry Brown coached until he was 94. Coach K is 91. Popovich is 102. And those are definitely their real ages.

1 Like

It won’t be coming from us. There’s a risk MDA might say no, and we couldn’t risk that rejection becoming public.

MDA is going to be the coach right? I mean, he’s already meet with MJ once, if he’s going to decline the job, just do that over video chat. I’m betting he’s the hire, and we might get the news before the end of the day.

He never met with MJ, only Kenny did. The original report that both would be did not prove to be the case.

1 Like

If he’s meeting with MJ, I’m sure he still has interest so I feel he’s our guy now.

Wasn’t my point. There was an error in either perception or information initially that both he and Kenny met with MJ. It came out later only Kenny did. Not saying he’s not now - just correcting this will be his first MJ meeting.

2 Likes