Welcome Head Coach Atkinson

3 Likes

Welcome to Charlotte! Kinda meh for me after all this time but hoping for the best. Hope some of the Golden State magic has rubbed off on him in his time there. Glad to have a decision so we can turn the page and get to the other major decisions that are looming.

5 Likes

Fingers crossed! Now we can focus on the draft and the signings. Let’s get above 50 wins.

1 Like

I was in the MDA club but still like this hire, those nets teams he built were fun tough squads

1 Like

Great! Let’s hope for the best!

1 Like

Welcome Kenny. Turns out the Reddit guys were right. Let’s do this!

1 Like

Welcome Kenny Welcome

Good hire. Now, let’s focus on the draft and free agency.

I’ll wait to see what the org has to say about his hiring but its about what I figured… this kinda feels like a sideways move from JB. Like I don’t see anything Atkinson has done that impresses me to the extent that I’m any more excited than with JB. There are supposed differences in style/approach so maybe that’s the difference maker? Maybe the fit is better with the group but I thought the -stars- pushed him out in Brooklyn so how will that play with Melo and Miles? Definitely “Lets hope for the best!”

I’m sure a big part of the hire was the coach would have to give high draft picks minutes, so I think that’ll be a change from JB.

5 Likes

The roster needs an overhaul too. It is way to soft defensively.

2 Likes

Oh for sure… we need some guys with some fire too. That’s the big thing we will miss with Montrez. Our guys are all just too nice.

Montrez is the right personality but not nearly talented enough. He is more like a modern day Kendrick Perkins.

The entire perimeter wants no part of playing defense. They built a “position less” team and with the exception of the martins nobody plays any defense. Not a recipe for success

1 Like

I can see WHY you feel this way but I don’t think this is a fair assessment. Kenny Atkinson achieved more with less and coached a much better defense than JB. I actually think JB is a solid to good coach who happened to not be the best at communicating with players, in a language they like or understand (apparently), and getting buy in. It’s also noteworthy that in the season after their playoff berth Kenny had to deal with injuries which derailed it. I believe he can do a lot more with a team like our Hornets. In a sense, he’s the best of both worlds: he can (1) develop your young talent and (2) still get you results in the win column.

3 Likes

Most exciting coaching hire in franchise history. Recently been with warriors and clips, so happy for our org. For sure upgrade over Borrego

1 Like

Yeah I do think the appeal of Atkinson, being that we have such a young team is that he has demonstrated success developing young, less talented players. It does give hope to us seeing our young guys getting significant playing time and enhancing their development. Development is still a huge priority for us. He’ll have even more to work with here talent wise so hopefully we get the best of both worlds as u said.

4 Likes

Letssssss gooo baby! I’m pumped! Now let’s sign Shabazzz!!!

1 Like

Happy with the hire.

He has HC experience and did well with limited resources. Got players not known for their D to buy in and play as a unit. Got kicked out by super star players (which LaMelo and Miles are not) because they wanted things done their way. That’s not a negative for me as it likely demonstrates Kenny wouldn’t kowtow to them. He’ll have learned a lot from that first go around, just as JB will have here, and will be a better HC for it.

Since then he’s gained experience working on high level teams and is coaching under one of the best in the finals. That playoff experience is HUGE. He’ll know exactly what works and what doesn’t, what type of player gets picked on in the playoffs and how teams attack weaknesses etc.

He’s not a home run hire, but is a definite upgrade on JB and someone I hope is on the same page as Mitch from day one onwards, in terms of development vs results (minute allocation and size of rotation especially).

2 Likes

As usual, I have no idea what the possibilities were (in terms of all possibilities, not just who we interviewed), but imagine he’s as good of a hire as anyone else that we could have gotten. Having someone with coaching experience in the finals is a great sign.

I think this is also why the decision was so delayed, as he’s a still active coach focused on winning a championship.

Well, at least we have some knowns. A Nets buddy of mine said he’s likely not a huge difference maker for us, but is pretty solid. I think the whole developing talent angle is overplayed, but hopefully he can get everyone reconnected, driven, and coached up to be champions.

What a mistake and disappointment. MDA was the choice.

Hopefully I eat my words next season.

1 Like