NBA Top Shot / Video Market

The $1, $2 and $3 moments are not moving. So if you’re really eyeing that Bogdan Bogdanovic for $2, plan on holding it for a while. I know from experience.

Value right now is two-fold I think. Demand v. Supply (rarity) and future value of the moment: i.e. special moments. Some examples right now are -

Firsts of anything - for example LaMelo’s first assist.

All Rookies

Historical moments - KD’s first 3 as a Net, Kawhi’s 10,000th point…

Anything LeBron, Zion, Ja or Luka.

Low serial numbers. Low numbers are much more valuable than high. If you’re savvy you can “snipe” low serials at low cost by sellers who don’t realize the difference and just sell at the low ask. Beware tho high value low serials may be slower to sell.

My money is very limited so I’ve abandoned marginal players and am focused on stars at value.

And Hornets. I want to create a video history of Hornets moments; whoever that is.

So this is basically video trading?

Yes sir. Sanctioned by the NBA tho privately developed.

Or m’am sorry! No idea who you are!

This is a good article by Mark Cuban discussing the bigger worldview running alongside Top Shot.

https://blogmaverick.com/2021/01/31/the-store-of-value-generation-is-kicking-your-ass-and-you-dont-even-know-it/

Checking back in on this. Still panning for gold over here. Finding lots of it.

Rozier plays lol

Ha I’m up about $300 just on his video. Love you Terry!

LaMelo’s first assist moment went over $4000 today. So crazy.

2 Likes

Is there a Bottom Shot moment of Draymond getting T’d up?

3 Likes

Just got my first moment, a Bridges dunk from game 1 on 12/23

@Keetch What’s the latest on the market?

I can tell you, the market is on fire.

There were at least 170k people that were waiting in line pre-drop to be placed in random order. I got 64.6k and they are dropping 32.7k packs.

I’ll try again next time!

Edit:this was for the rising stars pack

1 Like

@dnbman Oh boy it’s volatile. I got in at a positive entry point in January and watched the market jump to a peak at about 10x recent cost a couple weeks ago. But it’s been dropping since and many moments are now 30% to 50% of that peak. If you bought in at the high you could be seeing a lot of red right now.

Things can change pretty fast. I’ve watched a LeBron 3 pointer moment that I got in a $9 pack go from $100 on the market to $2300 (Holy Sh*t Martha) then back down to about $1000 (WTH?) now. I’m not complaining. It’s an iconic LeBron moment. It’ll go back up and jeez I got it for practically nothing.

Demand for packs is big and causes market chaos after drops. You play a lottery to try to get a pack. All-Star weekend they had two pack drops. The first “Seeing Stars” was fairly assured (over 180,000 packs dropped, each with 3 moments) and just $14 a pack. I was fortunate and landed a Luka.

But afterwards that many new moments available crashed the market. Many people were putting those up for sale not realizing that a simultaneous crush of buyers had locked up the “buy” side of things. The result was a rush of sellers blindly undercutting each other in a market where no one could buy. The resulting prices were great; you just couldn’t buy anything. After a full site shut down, fix and brief re-open; they shut the market down again for extended maintenance. This sort of site behavior has come to be expected in Top Shot.

The next “Rising Stars” drop though was about a 15% chance to score an opportunity to purchase a $199 rare pack. I wasn’t lucky, but another member of my family was and will likely see about $2500 return from $213 spent when she sells the moments she received from these 2 drops (in a week or so).

The new LaMelo moment in this series is predicted to be worth about $5000 soon. There will be only about 2000 of them which is fairly scarce. LeMelo Ball is a hot name in Top Shot.

With any pack drop at this time, if you can get one a very positive return is assured. I think it’s best to wait a bit though for the market to settle if you want to flip.

That won’t last forever. At some point this system will balance supply and demand vs. entry cost and dilution/saturation. But we’re not nearly there yet.

1 Like

That’s so cool! Miles has some nice moments in TS. His new one features a slam off of a LaMelo behind-the-back pass. I’m definitely getting it but waiting until it’s at about a $5 price point. It’s common so there will be a lot available in the near future. It probably won’t be a great investment in the short term, but definitely a cool collectible for a Hornets fan.

A word of caution to anyone looking to buy in right now. The lowest cost moments on the market are the newly released Series 2 Base. These are common moments noted 35000CC. That means that ultimately at least 35,000 of each will be released. (if not more)

They are the most affordable, but only a small fraction are on the market. Nearly all of them will drop in price in the near future as more packs of them are released.

The better investment at an entry level price may be the Series 2 15000 LE. Those LE moment quantities are locked and mostly all on the market now. Prices have recently dipped.

tulip bulbs.

this is a bigger indicator of the overall global and us investment market right now. tread lightly.

For sure. Proceed with caution. Never invest what you can’t afford to lose.

This game has many whales at the top who are sometimes, if not often, controlling the market. If they’re not; then Dapper Labs, the Canadian creator, certainly is.

It’s a fun idea, but NFT’s actually have greater value I think in other forms of investment and in more independent markets.

This is just a game though, closely held by a private company holding an NBA contract.

1 Like

Thought this fit in here