Or…

Have heard nothing here either.

Harrell signing with the Lakers

Hornets apparently offered him decent money so he just saved us from ourselves

1 Like

See if this one sticks

This is interesting

And wow, that’s not bad pricing on DJJ

There’s another rumored target off the market. They may be saving us from ourselves though

1 Like

Baynes, Whiteside or maybe Bogdanovic might be our targets now yeah?

Ok, I assume that’s a typo and that’s for both twins but perhaps Balmer get’s a financial distribution he must spend each year for Surface residuals.

1 Like

As bad as we’ve been feeling about Batum’s contract all these years, in the words of the everlasting, unconquerable universal maxim, it could always be worse:

1 Like

Jeeze, that’s pretty bad

Steven adams to pelicans picks back to okc. All combined in with the jrue to Milwaukee trade.

And this

Biggest trend: people figured out they don’t NEED sports

Smaller trend: sports quit being an escape for people when current events became the focus

Eh i’m sure the nba isn’t too concerned

Don’t really understand the people getting so upset about the players being political.

Not to get political, but I worked for the Bernie Sanders campaign in Charlotte and some in South Carolina. And if every NBA player came out on twitter tweeting “Trump won the election it was rigged.”

I wouldn’t care and it wouldn’t effect how much I watch the league

Might be totally normal but only Dwight runs out of patience and tweets he’s staying to try will it to an end state.

Alot of people do though. And it’s showing. The nba is very concerned. Adam silver has said as much in basically demanding a pre Christmas start to the season and wanting to take the political messages off of jerseys

I feel sorry for him.

I honestly think it depends on which media personality frames it. Yes, ratings are way down, as they are across every single sport (except the WNBA!). Lost money from the pandemic, ticket sales, tv ads, and the Hong Kong/China thing are a big deal.

But I’m a basketball die hard, and I hardly watched any of the playoffs. I love the Panthers, never missed a game previously, and this year maybe have watched a game and a half. Same with my Heels, haven’t even seen a football game. With two young kids virtual learning, working full time, being the full time cook/housekeeper/nurse/mediator has pretty much knocked out most of my hobbies. And yes, I tuned in to the news a lot more because of the election/pandemic. I don’t think my circumstances are unique either.

So I know its popular with the Clay Travis’/Aubrey Huff’s of the world to focus mainly on the NBA, and then to say its mainly because of the NBA’s stances/actions (and of course there is truth for certain fan groups) but its disingenuous of them to blow it up like its the main reason for ratings losses (i.e. see me, above). Plus I don’t think Silver planned to have messages on the jerseys past the bubble, it was part of the negotiations to get the players to agree to come to the bubble in the middle of the pandemic and police murder protests.

But yes, the pre-Christmas start is definitely money motivated, as it should be. Extenuating circumstances have killed revenue, and it will reverberate for many years. I just think its better if we can look at the broader picture of the hellhole that is 2020, rather than let certain media influencers lead us to believe it is because player’s have strong opinions on things.

3 Likes

Not sure if this should go in our FA/Trade thread or the non-Hornet FA/Trade thread but we did crack the news. Our '23 second rounder went to OKC (part of the Steven Adams trade deal) as part of their full team, and G-league team worth of future picks. Woohoo! Put a stamp on that envelope folks!

I agree 100% which is why I ordered my reasons so.

Personal anecdote. I was in the exact same boat as you. Totally disengaged with sports. I started coming around to watching a game here and there until the race politics entered the nba in mass. I have no problems with the players having a voice, but between the “boycott” and the broadcasts, I just shut it all off. That isn’t why I watch.

But again to reiterate, it is much more the first part than the second but the second part absolutely played a big role across all sports