SCOOT vs MILLER: FIGHT!

So you’re saying there’s a chance!?

3 Likes

So Portland is willing to trade #3 pick and A Simmons for Lillard some help. Whoever their trading partner is it should be a 3 team trade, Portland, Charlotte and whoever. If the team acquiring the 3rd pick wants Scoot then we need something from that team. If they want Miller we need something as well. We have to be tight lipped about who we want so they don’t know who our pick is. Say for instance it’s the Raptors and they are sending Siaciam for Simmons and the pick and they are eyeing Scoot. Then we need Trent Jr or Shaedon Sharp to fill the void at sg. Say if it’s Houston we need Tari Eason to help with the backup pf position.

Portland should be going full send on trying to acquire the 2nd pick from the hornets to solidify Scoot to replace Lillard.

Scoot/Simmons/Sharpe is an extremely strong young core. With Simmons being the oldest at 23 years old. Sharpe and Scoot being both 19.

IF the hornets are truly sold on Miller, the hornets should be full send on trying to acquire Simmons or Sharpe. But the problem(s) is…

Simmons is great but he signed a 4/100 deal and is an overlap with Terry. And if you take Miller and acquire Sharpe, the hornets would have a log jam at SF with Miller, Sharpe, Hayward, Miles. Bridges is better slotted at PF, but he’ll play the 3 too.

Which is too bad because I really like both Sharpe and Simmons. In fact, I think Sharpe is going to be a very good player.

I don’t think there’s a ton of secrecy with these types of things. The only real issue is Portland gambling on how legit the consideration is of Miller. The desire to trade up for 2 is more about ensuring another team doesn’t. That’s what they’d be paying for more than directly jockeying with us.

1 Like

This one’s easy. Bye to bridges. Sign him to some trial deal and trade him next season.

Crazy thought here, this front office wouldn’t be foolish enough to trade Terry Plus sign and trade PJ plus #2, 27 for Dame? What day? Please tell me they wouldn’t. Please talk me off of this train of thought.

Of course they would then try to sign KD or some other big free agent. Of course it would end in disaster. Of course we would all be excited then let down.

Cam Whitmore is a little bit younger than Scoot Henderson. Somebody explain to me skill-by-skill-by intangible why Scoot is clearly better.

Legit question. Not trying to debate. Wanting to understand.

There was nothing connecting the Hornets to LaMelo either Bonnell was even tweeting stuff that indicated the Hornets didn’t like Lamelo

I watched Whitmore a few times at Villanova and though he seemed plenty athletic, he just wasn’t actually doing anything much. These guys are sometimes just too young to evaluate.

If you listen to todays Locked on Hornets - the guys talk with Sam Vecenie who confirms that Scoot is clearly the best choice at 2, but it’s unknown if the Hornets will choose him.

So at least that much is settled. Scoot is the better player.

Another thought on scoot. The popular commentary is “scoot needs the ball and Melo needs the ball, so it won’t work with both guys on the court.”

So to look at that in a different light. There’s positives for both Melo and scoot. For scoot, he’s 19 years old. Allowing scoot to play off ball more to start will HELP his transition to the NBA. And I feel like scoot’s transition to the NBA will be less so than Brandon Miller. I think allowing scoot to slowly over time to take more time with the ball in his hands will help him.

And for Melo, he’s still going to be the dude with the ball, and scoot will take pressure off of Melo to reduce his responsibility. Melo is a three and layup cat. Scoot will set up Melo because 1) scoot has great vision/playmaking 2) scoot’s ability to attack the rim and draw help defenders who will leave Melo with more open looks from three. We’re lacking aggressive slashers. This is where the offense grew stagnant last year. Offense became too easy to defend. Teams just crowded the 3 point line.

So the camp that says “scoot and Melo on the floor doesn’t work” is intellectually lazy and superficial.

There’s nothing wrong with respectfully looking at it from all angles.

The fact of the matter is that Scoot is currently not a real threat from 3. Last year, we were near(at?) the bottom of 3-ball percentage. I’m tired of Melo not having enough good 3-point shooters to dish it to with his amazing passing ability. Scoot doesn’t help that particular situation.

There’s something to be said for drafting a potential superstar PG and letting him develop in his natural position right from the jump. Again, there could be an issue, because LaMelo rightfully owns the 1-spot.

So, it’s a great problem to have, because you are adding a massive talent in Scoot, but there are potential kinks to consider. And doing so is the complete opposite of intellectually lazy and superficial.

Well the problem is that the camp that says “Melo and scoot are ball dominant and won’t work together” stop at that point and don’t really add anything else of value. It’s a very surface level analysis.

The funny part is that scoot’s shooting mechanics look fine. The numbers show that he’s a good 3 point shooter when open. A few years ago my criticism of Melo was his three point shooting-wasn’t he shooting around 27-30% from three pre draft?? And his mechanics were definitely odd and needed work.

Well, we all know how that turned out. And scoot’s mechanics actually look pretty darn good to me. Unlike Melo.

Is there anyone who has said ABSOLUTELY that they won’t work together? I think it’s in the realm of possibility that playing them together involves compromise for at least one of them. It’s possible that Scoot running point could push Melo away. It’s possible that Scoot off ball could be bad for spacing. And yeah, Scoot could improve his 3ball but that is NEVER a guarantee in a young player.

There’s nothing wrong with exploring trades of your high valued assets to promote roster balance right from the jump.

There’s nothing wrong with bringing in an innovative coach who can sell a system(or lack thereof) where Scoot/Melo shine together and everyone stays happy.

I’ve already mentioned all of this before, but here’s another thought:

Reshape your entire roster around Scoot/LaMelo/MWilliams with deadeye catch-and-shoot three point shooters. Now, some of our guys did have off years shooting the three last year. Let’s hope they bounce back if they return.

Wouldn’t that be nice to see everyone stay healthy to know for sure what we have? What if Gordon Hayward was worth his contract? And did play more that half of his games?

I agree on the idea of surrounding them with shooters.

Guys this entire thread from top to bottom points out why the individual workouts, interviews and background checks are soooo critical. The right decision must be made. The stakes are too high for anything less. As long as the boss doesn’t get carried away, we have to trust the FO. Again, it looks like Mark was the right call last year.

As for Melo - the God knows truth is that we need to ASK him! No he shouldn’t make the decision but he is our all star and we need him desperately to be on board with the pick. I think Melo has earned that level of respect.

We are at a critical juncture this summer and things can go either way. So far it’s been gravy.

Melo’s persona always struck me as a very chill, go with the flow kinda guy, not the demanding me first guy.

While he is flashy and loves attention, it seems more grounded in having fun in life, and not trying to overcompensate and appear to be something he’s not.

I agree it would be prudent to run things by him, get his thoughts on how he thinks he’d fit next to both Scoot and Miller. I’d imagine he’d say he’s excited about both and can play next to either one.

I remember that one game where Ish was on fire, and Melo told coach when he was about to be subbed in to leave Ish on the floor to close the game. That unselfishness is incredibly rare in big time stars. There was no jealousy or bitterness, showing he loves it when other guys shine.

2 Likes

I wish there was a way we could draft Scoot and Gradey Dick without trading LaMelo. Maybe there’s a Rozier+something trade out there somewhere.

I have Gradey and Miller as similar. Maybe like Gradey better considering his love to play and fire to win. He can be drafted a little lower, which helps.

It’s Mitch though so not happening.

Hell, Rozier, the 27th, plus next years first lol.

Crazy I know, but I like Gradey alot.

We have five picks and I’ll be STUNNED if we make more than three of them. Tbh I think we only make two. I’d love to be aggressive and try give 27 + 2’s + player to get back into the top 16 or so. I’d love Gradey Dick here

Mitch said we werent going to have 4 19 year olds on the roster next year so I think you are right here.