The There Was a Game Tonight Thread

For clarity, I don’t think this is a winning roster if only not for Cliff. I am just remarking about the cause of the ineptitude on court. I think a better head coach would give these guys more defined roles to play. JB’s offensive system of shoot or pass or drive within X seconds was more offensively defined. You knew what was expected every trip down the court, not that everyone played into that ideally coughelly-coughason-cough.

Unironically, the playable roster presently is similar to that which Atkinson exceeded expectations in BKN.

1 Like

I can see where you’re coming from - since we’ve had Cliff and know his track record, its easier to draw conclusions. This song feels familiar, and we know where the ride goes.

All I’m saying is, even if he had made all the remarkable changes to be a successful modern style coach, we still would have no idea because the shitty way the roster exists due to injuries and criming. I feel the crappy situation should afford him a limited benefit of the doubt until he proves he can’t do it with our A team.

But also I don’t mind at this point losses piling up on him, as we can use as high a pick as we can get in this draft.

2 Likes

I may be in the minority, but I’m really not that disappointed with how this season has gone. I’m actually pleasantly surprised we’ve been as competitive as we have given no Miles and being down 2-3 starters through the first 13 games. Cliff is Cliff. What was frustrating about him before still is, but I agree it’s hard to fairly judge any coach under these circumstances. But regardless, we all know he’s just a placeholder anyway and this year was a throw away year the moment we lost Miles. So I’ve taken pleasure in the little things, like not getting blown out by 30 every night and watching guys like Richards and McDaniels develop, and DSJ resurrect his career.

Last night’s game had the intensity of a playoff game. Our guys are playing hard. Most nights they’ve been entertaining to watch, yet we’re still losing and giving ourselves a chance at the Wemby sweepstakes. Almost like having your cake and eating it too.

3 Likes

Bottom line is that I’m not upset by the losses, just the body language on the court that looks eerily familiar. And yes, that body language might be more “oh shit we need help out here” and nothing else.