2023 Draft Prospects

Ummm, yeahhh, about that… I really liked his fit on the roster, but not Miles’ RTB roster.

Like, I can imagine the most likely scenario is if you let a teammate in a big time, top 5 ranked college basketball program, borrow your gun, you probably don’t think he’s gonna murder someone. Maybe at best he thought it was for protection, or at worst to maybe let your haters know you’re not to be fucked with.

I don’t see any accessory to murder charges, because he would’ve had to know that his teammate was going to actually murder somebody, which I doubt (hopefully).

But you’re about to be a top 5 pick and make 10s of millions of dollars for the next few years, you do not risk anything. Don’t drink, don’t smoke, don’t jaywalk, don’t speed. Always secure the bag first.

We’ll see what the investigation finds, but even if not criminal, the decision making alone will make every lottery team think he’s not worth that risk. Maybe all first round teams.

EDIT: I see now that it wasn’t Miller’s gun, Miles (that name is cursed now) asked Miller to bring Miles own gun to him. Which makes it slightly better, since its more understandable someone might just want to have their own gun on them, rather than asking to use yours and being all suspicious and shit.

This is probably in poor taste on my part, but this comes to mind. Forgive the video quality, or lack there of.

To get back to your jaywalking point though, I feel like it’s the same thing. If I was a few months from the NBA draft, I wouldn’t be bringing my friends guns, throwing stars, bags of fertilizer, quantities of bleach, any length of rope… nothing. My friends would have to get their own refills from the fridge.

IDK. I’m sure it’s probably overblown, but that kind of thing just makes me nervous now. We need a team focused on basketball and not dumb things that compromise their ability to compete.

2 Likes

And if we don’t pick him, he’s the next Kobe.

Ugh.

2 Likes

Kid had a night last night. It really sucks cause he does seem a perfect fit for us in a (likely) scenario where we miss out on the top prize. I’d like us to still fall into a position of a no brainer decision like we did with Melo. This makes things much more cloudy.

1 Like

With Miller having his issues, and after DSJ playing well and seeming to fit with Melo without a good 3pt shot, I’m starting to lean a little toward Amen Thompson. Elite athlete, quickness, good defender, but weak 3pt shooting. I could be convinced.

Despite shooting concerns and what seen, can do more for team than Oubre.
At 4-8, Team could be looking at paying Amen 30-40 million/4 years vs Oubre same for 2-3.
Leave about 35 million for 2 bigs & a backup PG. And if Amen can really play PG too…

doubt keep both picks, but leaves 14/15 roster spot for Den first & our 2nd or minimum $ free agent.

1 Like

Miller really is not impressing me at all man. He really needs to develop some offensive consistency.

Yeah, he stunk it up tonight for sure. In the tournament as a whole really. Granted they say he’s playing thru a groin injury.

I don’t watch a ton of college ball but I have seen him take over and be “that guy” enough times compared to the rest of the field to say he’d still be my choice behind Wemby (off court issues aside). That’s partly because all I’ve seen of Scoot is basically highlights.

I’ll just say with Miller, I’ve witnessed an “it” factor. I’m pretty confident he has it in him. He does have to be consistent. I haven’t seen anyone else over this season I could say has impressed me more than him.

You guys interested in the Athletic’s latest mock draft?

Easily the weirdest thing to see considering he was getting late lotto buzz last year

I’m not not interested.

1 Like

My first and only spin today. No way this happens, but it’s fun to play.

From the latest The Athletic Mock Draft

4. Charlotte Hornets

Amen Thompson | 6-7 lead guard | 20 years old | Overtime Elite

Amen Thompson is the best athlete in this draft class, an explosive 6-foot-7 lead guard who is all sorts of twitchy. He will enter the NBA as one of the five most athletic players in the entire league.

We know Thompson will thrive early in his career in transition. Amen is an aggressive rebounder who immediately starts fast breaks, attacking with reckless abandon in the open floor. He passes at a very high-level, seeing advanced reads easily on the court. Defensively, he is capable of generating steals and deflections with his aggressiveness, but still possesses rudimentary technique, standing straight up a bit too often.

Teams do still have real questions about how Thompson will thrive in the half court. Right now, Amen is a non-factor as a shooter, and it’s going to take some time for him to add that to his game — if he ever can. Additionally, he doesn’t have a lot of ball-screen reps against difficult competition in half-court settings because Overtime Elite games are often played at a breakneck pace.

Still, Amen’s upside is sky high. It’s almost impossible to find players this athletic at 6-foot-7 with long arms, high basketball IQs and professional mindsets. The Hornets could use an upside swing like this, and Thompson pairing with LaMelo Ball would create potentially one of the most interesting up-tempo attacking duos in NBA history.

27. Charlotte Hornets (via DEN)

Julian Strawther | 6-7 wing | 21 years old | Gonzaga

Julian Strawther worked his way back into the first round following a terrific finish to his season. In his final 16 games, Strawther averaged 17 points while shooting 48 percent from the field and 40 percent from 3 while helping Gonzaga to the Elite Eight. He is a terrific catch-and-shoot weapon, plus has a little more off the bounce than most realize due to his floater. Defensively, he’s not an impact player, but he worked through some issues throughout the season to became passable. He’s seen as likely to be picked somewhere in the 25 to 45 range. The Hornets continue to need better wing depth and shooting as they work to build around LaMelo Ball. Strawther would help fit those weaknesses.

34. Charlotte Hornets: Terrence Shannon Jr. | 6-6 wing | 22 years old | Illinois

41. Charlotte Hornets (via UTA): Jaylen Clark | 6-5 wing | UCLA

There’s definitely gonna be a trade, they’re not gonna add 4 rookies. Probably sell the later pick or swap it for another year. I really hope they package the late first and early second to move up some, maybe late teens.

3 Likes

Amen Thompson is exactly the sort of player I dread us drafting. Athletic freak who can not shoot and isn’t fundamentally sound on D. He may turn into a hell of a player, but while he’s learning, he’s stifling your offense. To be at all effective he’d need to be the lead guard, so would take the ball out of LaMelo’s hands, and would offer no spacing at all when off ball. He shot 23.3% from three and 64.6% from the line.

1 Like

If it was any year I wouldn’t mind them selling a pick it’s here, but hopefully as you said a trade up happens. Makes some sense for a contending team to save on some salary.