2023 Draft Prospects

Agreed. The last thing we need in the Top 4 is another athletic project who has a great attitude and no clear great basketball skill.

Shoot 40/30 like Oubre or Rozier easy pick as does all other stuff better. But that FT & shooting bad as you said, and questionable ability to play off ball with Ball, Dick probably better next to Ball.

Thomson Twins do a Bouknight shooting make everything, pass.

4-7 feel Mitch keeps loading up on froncourt
Walker, Whitmore, or Hendricks

Get 20+ minutes for shorter/longer Zeller or
Miles
or take a big swing on Biz-like surprise climber

Yeah, after drafting so many non shooters and it failing, I’d err on the side of going for actual proven shooters over athletes.

Let’s say we get the 4th or 5th pick, is it then worth packaging our early 1st, late 1st, and one of the 2nds to move up to 3 to get Miller?

I’m increasingly intrigued by this Hendricks guy, who I’ve never seen play. But he’s 6’9 and his shooting splits were 50%/40%/80%!! And he’s known to be a really good defender, blocks a lot of shots, really nice athlete. He was originally projected late first, then into the lottery, but now, he couldn’t possible go up to #4 though could he?

I made sure to take a look at Jarace Walker too. He’s a burly beast of a guy, already built like Oakley or Karl Malone, but he surprisingly had soft touch to handle the ball on the perimeter and hit some 3’s. Also a pretty good defender, great shotblocker.

2 Likes

I, too, like Jarace Walker and Taylor Hendricks. I can see either one in the rotation from day one and, if Cliff’s still here, he’d absolutely love either of them.

Furthermore, I’m struggling to see a world where, with the fourth pick, I wouldn’t trade back. Let’s assume you’re trading pick four for someone coming up for a Thompson twin, a fact you’d clearly confirm by picking said player in the deal, you could go as low as 7 and be guaranteed to pick up either Walker, Hendricks or the other twin. If you moved lower, I’d be ok with coming away with Cam Whitmore, who’s almost a Miles Bridges clone … without the baggage of being a complete ****.

The first three picks seem set, but pick four is where it gets interesting. I’d love to come away with a lowly protected (if at all) future first and one of Jarace or Taylor. I think it’s a realistic and achievable scenario too.

1 Like

Was not impressed w/ them but a lot apparently are
Strong possibility if twin wings at our pick 4+ we trade back for a big like SGA-Miles.

What’s everyone’s draft tiers through the first dozen or so picks?

First dice roll in a few weeks

Hornets Law

1 Like

Moar lah

Most law

If we end up at 4 or 5, what are the odds we could trade back to 8-10, pick Taylor Hendricks, then, use capital obtained by moving back, to get to 16-17 and draft a SG, like Hawkins. Maybe have one 2nd left to take bpa. There’s no way MK is making 5 picks. If we can’t be top 3, I’m not opposed to moving back.

1 Like

It’s possible, but I doubt they’re interested in taking on another mid first rounder. If I had to guess, the late 1st and a couple of seconds are going to be traded for future picks or a vet of some kind.

Unless we trade away one of Kai, Thor, or Bouknight. Charlotte’s already shown that they don’t want to have too many youth projects.

1 Like

My thinking too, @tnhornetsfan. I’d like to stay top 7, because I have a clear top 7 (currently) in my mind.

As for what we trade for, I’m with @dnbman, I doubt we would combine picks to take a mid first rounder (if we did it would make last year’s trade look even worse, and I wasn’t sure that was possible!). Rather, I’d love to get a first for next year, or a 3&D SG.

I’m sure the pre-draft workouts will change a few things, but as far as I can guess with my gut-feel-o-meter:

Tier 1:
Victor Wembanyama

Tier 2:
Scoot Henderson
"It's Miller Time!"

Tier 3:
Jarace Walker
Amen Thompson
Ausar Thompson
Cam Whitmore
Taylor Hendricks

Tier 4:
Gradey Dick
Anthony Black
Cason Wallace
Nick Smith
GG Jackson

Tier 5:
Jordan Hawkins
Jalen Hood-Schifino
Keyonte George

Winning the lottery of course changes life for all of us. We might have to come out of our holes and show our faces in the world, as the media will come looking for us Hornets fans.

Getting the second or 3rd pick, I’ll still be really pumped that we’re getting an incredible player who elevates the team.

And, after the disappointment of not getting a top 3 pick, Tier 3 has exciting prospects. I know the twins have shooting issues, but the sheer athleticism/physicality of this group as a whole, if any of them pop and figure it out, will be an all-star.

Tiers 4 and 5 have some really good players, I wouldn’t pick any in the top 8 unless they show something crazy in the workouts (but always be wary of workout warriors), and we’re probably not gonna be able to trade back in for a late lottery pick anyway. Unless one of the top 3 tiers falls, and we trade our late first and first next year (lottery protected of course) to move back up.

2 Likes

I agree with your top three tiers, aside from a slightly different order in tier three.

I can’t help but shake the feeling that getting Scoot could bring some repercussions. It would certainly raise the possibility of a LaMelo trade from near zero, to something you might contemplate before he gets his next contract. We’d certainly be fielding some offers.

Hornets will get a good player this draft. Just a question of How good.

5 spins of the lotto simulator

2-4. #6

I’d say trade Terry, then go LaMelo/Scoot backcourt and figure it out

2 Likes

15 spins

0 1s
0 2s
2 3s
2 4s
0 5s
5 6s
6 7s

Shouldn’t the law of averages aggregate around the 4th pick? What evil sorcery has number 7 as the most likely outcome? Who do we need to sacrifice to appease the basketball gods?