22-23 Hornets General Discussion

100%. We need to play guys that still have questions hanging over them. Not only to see what they have, pointers for offseason development etc, but also to highlight where we need to recruit/draft.

DSJ should start every game. Bouknight, Thor, Kai, McGowens & Richards all need to be playing 16 plus minutes a night. Nothing to win or lose in results/odds terms, so play them.

1 Like

23-33 3p last 3 games. If can finally make shots consistently can get a Troy Daniels-lyte spot on 15 man roster. :thinking: hot steak, but really not a shooter.
Do a few Little thing with oncourt effort and w/o all the BS & crappy attitude, talent bar not high on roster to get minutes.
Mitch got high volume low FG % below NBA average Oubre for next year for 4.5 instead of 15+ million.

But Do not reward for finally playing basketball and bring up, finish last 3 vs swarm and bring up last 5 games.

I meanā€¦ we used a lottery pick on him. Why in the hell not play him when the games donā€™t matter. Just seems dumb to not play him. Not as dumb as trading a lottery pick for a late first but still makes two wasted lottery picks.

Heā€™s not as good as Monk. But Monk would be nice to have right nowā€¦. And we just let him walk. Just donā€™t want to see that happen again with such a young player. He clearly had a lot of talent.

2 Likes

I know Iā€™ve probably said this a lot, but I do think there are reasons-- if the coach believes he has certain issues-- to not play him. Mainly, he has to build something cohesive with the guys that are more ready. The more shaky guys you have the court, the harder it is for any of them to develop.

If Cliff, my three main projects in order are McGowen (heā€™s close, so I prioritize him to get him off the list, so to speak), Kai, and Thor. I want to have some semblance of a squad while those guys are out there for anything other than garbage minutes. I need to know, for example, that the offense is setting itself up correctly and the right passes are being made to determine if Kai specifically knows what heā€™s supposed to be doing. If there are too many variables, itā€™s hard to figure out if itā€™s any single player or just a cluster ā€¦ .

Itā€™s definitely frustrating that he was our first and weā€™re not sure what we can do with him yet. But I definitely understand with so much youth why they donā€™t just throw him out there.

Iā€™m hoping Kai shows up for the next couple of games and then they feel more comfortable throwing Bouk out there for longer durations.

How many pro-tankers are season ticket holders?

I just want the season to end so I donā€™t have to cheer for them to lose. Iā€™m not even watching at this point. Just not much to see.

I am for sure

Iā€™m a STH and have been vehemently anti tank even before I became a STH. Iā€™m not as much tank this year as I thought the season was lost before it began. I really wanted to see on-court organisation by the vets and a whole lot of play by the first through third year guys. So much that they were the 30mpg guys by this time in the season. If anything, Clifford has given them such insignificant roles and play time that they canā€™t account for heavy meaningful minutes and Bouk is still not seeing an NBA court.

My path should have gotten about a many wins (as we currently have) but at least weā€™re be getting a stronger core together and hold more value in our youth, not more unknowns.

2 Likes

I definitely see your point re Bouk. And I would agree that we donā€™t want the time that Bouk, or any of the young guys spend on the court, to have the chaotic feel of a SL game. There definitely needs to be structure to aid their collective development so I agree that just throwing all of them out there together is not productive.

But I still think we have an obligation to properly evaluate our asset, and I donā€™t think it has to necessarily be framed in terms of McGowens/Kai/Thor OR Bouk. I think it can be a both/and. I think the same strategy we employed earlier this season when we were using a platoon system with Mark and Nick could be implemented with McGowens and Bouk. Weā€™ve given Bryce a look for the past several weeks, so why not give Bouk a look for the last three? I think we should at least be as committed to the evaluation and development of a lottery pick as we are a 2nd rounder. If weā€™re not, then thereā€™s probably not much point in even picking up his option for next year.

Others try to kill people continually or passed out drunk packing in a garage?
Evaluating Bouknight all year just to keep on roster, so far not seen anything reported in Guilford or other counties, and hope receiving mental treatment for behavior needed.
Now G league starter again and putting up good numbers in g league, only reason our FO donā€™t play in last 5 Hornet games is he has been caught doing dirty again.

So many people forget or just donā€™t care?

Reported & caught one time at Uconn, Since we drafted, caught & alleged:
107 in 65
92 in 50
84 in 35
75+ reckless driving charge, racing causing wreck w/ 3 other cars
DWI passed out with gun in garage

All had court dates, some probably resolved and others ongoing

No bueno. Apparently he isnā€™t good on any court

Ouch

I always ask myself that question when gauging the different arguments on tanking. Canā€™t see someone that drops their hard earned money on season tickets be okay with the team tanking. Just of the opinion itā€™s bad ā€œjujuā€ to purposely lose. So Iā€™m happy the team isnā€™t laying down.
Also am tired of the narrative around the cityā€™s fan base. Ok, so based on the article tickets were $1 last night- most likely nosebleeds on a Monday night against another lottery bound team-So what.
Itā€™s such a lazy take. The article fails to mention the team is averaging for the season 17k in attendance per game. Thatā€™s at about the same or better than two teams that made the playoffs last year Phoenix and New Orleans and just a shade under the Grizzlies, Bucks, and Clippers. That means for the season the building is at 90% capacity for our current 23 win team. The Hive showed out for our last playoff team and is ready to support a winner. The entire lower bowl was sold out for this season and will be for this coming season.

2 Likes

I donā€™t want the team to just lose on purpose. But I do think younger guys should get more minutes, just bc itā€™s better for the team in the long run. It will probably result in more loses, but more wins in the future.

3 Likes

I agree, that article was just sort of gaslighting. League pass is available for the remainder of the season for $17 or something ridiculous. If I wrote an article that the NBA is down in ratings (true) and then said they are selling the rest of the season for $0.16 per game, I sure could make it look like they are going belly up.

However, this team should absolutely be losing every remaining game and should have since February. Itā€™s just not really even debatable. Sorry. But if I lose 10% of season ticket holders but end up getting a #1 or #2 pick and in five years am in the conference finals, I made a ton of money. You could also offset that with discounted merch, concessions, etc as an act of goodwill.

When people read tanking, they think 76ers. There is a happy medium when you recognize a lost season and try to capitalize on it.

3 Likes

This, as soon as you get the #1 or 2 pick, or even 3, the marginal amount you lost would be gained back immediately.

Butbif you get the 7th or 8th pick, this season was a total loss.

So season ticket holders want their team to not get better and have meaningless wins in a throwaway season?

Once you got off to the start we got off to this season, there was only one path forward, and we screwed it up.

That Axios article is stupid. There are so many circumstances that went into this season, our roster when healthy is play-in capable.

I for one am so glad we wonā€™t be in the play in this season. Can you imagine if that was what we were fighting for right now with no Lamelo and Mark?

So yeah, count this season ticket holder as one that has been kind of pissed at the wins recently

1 Like

This, absolutely this. Iā€™d add that tanking, in the context proposed by many on this board, is not loosing on purpose or laying down, itā€™s giving your youth more minutes on the court to develop. I get that Iā€™m arguing semantics, but I do think thereā€™s an important distinction to be made.

Iā€™m not a season ticket holder, it would be a tough round trip from London, but I would rather watch a young team give it their all and learn on the court than watch a vet filled team win a couple more games. The former gives you better odds at a generational player in the draft and will help your team moving forwards, via internal development. The latter will give you the odd hollow win, but do nothing to help you beyond this, already lost, season.

I would have transitioned to the youth movement more than we have done. Case in point, why is Svi getting minutes? How does him playing ahead of McGowens help this team moving forwards? Thatā€™s where I think weā€™ve handled the latter part of this season incorrectly.

3 Likes

I asked the question not to question the merits of tanking or not, but I just wanted to get a sense on here of our situation right now. I guess I should have added that to the question.

Iā€™ve thought about this a good bit, and Iā€™m surprised we havenā€™t considered this more. With our track record in drafting, why donā€™t we start to look at trading these picks along with some players we want to move on draft night for proven commodities in the league?

3 Likes

It was definitely a valid question.

I understand that anyone who both holds a season ticket and equates tanking with throwing in the towel, would want us to play our best rotation as much as possible. Watching a younger squad lose more regularly from court side would be a harder pill to swallow. Even though Iā€™m firmly in the ā€˜itā€™s a lost season, so play the young guys and donā€™t worry about lossesā€™ camp, I do understand why a season ticket holder may take the opposite view.

I like this site because all views are aired, discussed and respected.

4 Likes

I think this is such a different year that I never really accounted for success. And embarrassingly, I thought the value of my tickets next year and the following (because I know I could not extricate myself from renewal before all was known with the trade deadline) would simply be higher because we got a top 3-4 draft pick irrespective of who is selected.

I fear we have only shown ourselves to be worse at drafting (vs. trades and free agency) because we canā€™t even get out of bed for trades and free agency. The times we do, we so overspend that itā€™s hard to judge the move on its merits alone. In other words, do you trust the organization to make the right move when the stakes are so much higher insofar as the salaries are not cost controlled?

Note: I have always held great fear we would do one of those big expiring deals where you know the team trading for the guy has every intention of re-signing him in the offseason. But in our case, we just wouldnā€™t lol, or weā€™d somehow allow ourselves to be outbid.

Not that I have a lot of faith these days but Iā€™ll take my chances with the draft.

1 Like