23 Late first round pick

As far as I’m concerned, Cody Martin’s future looks shaky. For his injury to be prolonged like it was last year to finally require surgery late in the season…and little to no information coming out.

And the only info we have is from almost two months ago?? The hornets have always been mum on injuries, but this is a lot.

I wouldn’t count on Cody Martin getting back to where he was this year, or maybe ever again.

Edit: forgot what I was originally going to say. Anyways because of this injury, I’d dump Cody at any chance. We’re stuck two more years with a guy who may not be the same.

Are you familiar with the story of Bryce McGowens? He’s a second round pick who became a contributor for the Charlotte Hornets in his 1st year of NBA play.

My guess that you overlooked the obvious example because I am hoping for an unsexy rotational player not a hidden gem for the second 1st round pick. It’s really unlikely that we will get a undiscovered gem late but if we do - great! But some of those names offered - i consider to be swinging for the fences when there maybe a more practical bland choice (think Chris Murray) available.

I am trying to be realistic and hope that we get a contributor - either a tall shooter or a competent strong tall PF.

Yeah I’m familiar with Bryce.

Are you familiar with late 1st round draft picks and early 2nds?

What percentage of these guys from the mid-late 1st and onward in 2022 were “NBA ready to contribute” the first season”?

I bet the Thompson twins slide a little bit and go in the 7-9 range instead of 4/5. If people don’t like scoot’s three point shot, go check out Amen’s. At least Scoot has the foundational mechanics. Amen’s form is really rough.

I was dead set on one of the twins at the 4th pick and then things broke our way! We won’t have to settle for either of them now. It’s a three person draft and we are sitting on the 2nd pick!

I am noticing Klintman and Sidy on more big boards and mocks now that they haven been highlighted here. Yeah you guys are looking for an upside pick here and upside never crossed my mind w this pick. Both of those guys will take a coupe of years to develop and I want to see us in the playoffs next year. We are still waiting for Thor, Kai and Bouk to at least take leap so do we really want to add another project?

If Klintman stats are real (as in they will eventually hold up in the NBA) then yeah he may go around 20 and we should consider moving up to get him. Since he’s local we should give him a work out and he should have been scouted in person during the school year. I am sure he’s on the front office radar.

You do make a valid point here … what is the front office looking for with pick #27?

Are they looking for someone who can realistically be part of the rotation in their rookie season, maybe early in the season (like Kris Murray, who I would actively target and trade up for), or a player to develop, with the knowledge there’s simply no space in the rotation for another young player.

I think the players we resign, quantity and cost wise, will point to the type of player we look to add with our second first round pick.

1 Like

(If we keep 27, which we shouldn’t. The second rounders, picks next year, and guys like Thor/bouk/Kai should all be packaged to move back into the 1st this year. 2024 draft is weaker.)

Anyways. Guys who I want but will go much earlier than 27: Bilal Coulibaly, Leonard Miller, Kris Murray.

Guys who may actually be at 27: Klintman, Clowney, Julian Strawther, Jett Howard. None of these will slip to our next pick at 34.

34, 39, 41: Olivier Maxence Prosper, Sidy Cissoko, Ben Sheppard. I’m probably forgetting someone here. Just off the top of my head.

I am for trading all four picks and hope thats enough for Murrey. How far up do you guys think we can move up to with all those picks?

I mean, no one really has the roster availability or desire to take on 4 picks from 27 onward. This is where I think we’d also have to add in a young player and a draft pick next year

Are you kidding me! Mitch’s Mike drop moment is to have 9 second round picks on the roster

Would you trade anyone of Bouk/Kai/Thor to move up into the first?

-I’d send one of Bouk/Thor/Kai, along with #27, #34, and #41 for Houston #20 if Leonard Miller is there.

-If Bilal Coulibaly is there at 14, I’d offer New Orleans: Thor or Kai, #27, 2024 conditional 1st round pick for the New Orleans #14 and a 2024 2nd rounder.

-Offer 34, 39, 41 and Bouknight to get into the 18-22 range. Miami 18, GS 19, Houston 20, Brooklyn 21 and 22.

-offer 39, 41, and bouk to move up to 28-33 range.

Yes absolutely

Ideally I don’t want to give up on Kai, and Thor’s close to a hard no from me. There’s just too much promise there. Bouknight, on the other hand, I’d be absolutely fine using to either move up or to trade for a similarly underwhelming lottery pick who fits our roster needs better.

You can’t resign everybody, you saw what we did with McDaniels. It just depends on if those guys bring us closer to a shooter we like. Kai and Bouk while I like them, it looks more and more like they’re not going to be rotation players barring a big summer of development for both.

Thor I’d hang on to, I think he’s developing into a decent two way player.

2 Likes

Ya’ll are talking about Bouk as if he has some real trade value - he doesn’t. He “slipped” to us in the draft, he sulked when he was drafted, he couldn’t crack the rotation for two different coaches, he was mediocre in the g league AND he got arrested. Who going to pay a higher draft pick for that headache?

Only way we are moving up is for Thor and maybe Bryce or Kai. It would be hugely shortsighted to give up on Thor and maybe Bryce so we are really talking about all of our second round picks. Oh yeah and Terry. I think Terry could give us a 7 spot jump. Either way it would be pretty bad to walk away w more than two draft picks this year.

1 Like

Would it be ridiculous to think that terry + #27 could get you #11 from the magic?

I mean… we got less for our 13th pick so why not?

No a move up to around 20. I think that Terry has some real value in the league. Plus if we draft Scoot and move Melo then we don’t have space for Terry.

Sarcastic and a punch to management’s nuts but funny none the less.

I don’t think it would be fair to ship out Kai in a trade to move up. He should get a shot at back up C to Nick this year.

1 Like

I don’t think bouk has any trade value. But as monk came out and played good ball for the kings, I could see a team wondering if there’s a decent scorer there.

I think so little of Bouknight, I’d practically give him away.

So no, I don’t think anything of Bouknight. And I don’t value him.

I agree. We have these handful of players and something has to give.

PJ, Miles, Thor, Kai, Bouknight.

Fuck Bouknight, first and foremost. I’d give him away for just about anything.

Second, are we keeping all of PJ, Miles, Thor, Kai? No, we’re not.