A Trip Into Central Valley

Terry couldn’t have bought a bucket, yet made a 3 and 3 free throws to make that gank job possible.

Wasn’t able to watch the game. A few questions. Was Rozier just off tonight, get locked down? He had almost as many turnovers as points. Did he look tired? (we’ve had so many various injuries and absences it seems some of the guys might be getting a bit wary) also how did LaMelo get a fragrant with about a minute to play? Glad to get that win so shorthanded!

Rozier didn’t have it tonight, but came through huge in the clutch, scoring 6 points in a 20 second span in the final minute to put the Hornets within reaching distance.

Lamelo’s flagrant was because he contested a De’Aaron Fox dunk attempt and hit Fox in the face. Kings were up 8 with 2 shots and the ball with 1:09 left and missed 6 of their final 8 freethrows (I think)

1 Like

These guys have NO quit in them. None, absolutely none. Damn I love this team

3 Likes

Well holy shit. Its a weird feeling, seeing your team down, but not having the sinking doom and gloom any more. Like its the reverse of all these years of our own choking, losing 7-10 point leads in constant close losses, but now we’re stealing it from these other teams. I really don’t recall stealing wins or holding teams back from comebacks as frequently as this. I love it.

And as is everyone’s mantra, we’re just one good big man away from making a strong push into the top 4. Gordon was out, Terry was off, and our offense was still humming. Glad that 3J finally returned to the team this year, if he realized that he can do this just by being aggressive, its one more weapon teams gotta worry about.

1 Like

Well that was a game we had no business wining but I’ll take it. I love the fight of this team. Also, I’m beginning to think Monk is our most clutch player.

1 Like

Didn’t watch the game but watched the full highlights. This team has no quit and loves stealing games from teams who try to coast. This was almost as good of a steal than from golden state two weeks ago.

PJ looked aggressive and his shooting looked confident. And my guy, Malik Monk with the game winner. Sorry I missed this one.

after 15-16 playoffs could not win clutch games for 3 years…heck many nights seem not do the simple like get ball in bounds…if we won average amount we in playoffs.
and team hitting game winners and/or down a couple scores, opponents no worries.

team started to change a little last year and this year really big in clutch, 6th in league at 11-5…huge in determining again in who wins in that playoff east mix. That can’t watch team becoming a can’t miss, no fear in facing Hornets in final minutes to scary any night

1 Like

To your point eshelmon, CLT vs SAC is the NBA TV Game of the Day :slight_smile:

1 Like

I was going strong through the 3rd quarter. Started dozing on and off throughout the 4th but woke up just in time to see Terry hit the 3. Once again this team never ceases to amaze. No way I would’ve believed it if someone had said we’d get a W on a night we’re forced to play without Hayward, Devonte and Cody, and Terry only had 2 FGs.

This constant carousel of injuries the past month has been extremely frustrating, but to the extent it’s accelerated Ball’s development, and allowed guys like PJ and Monk to find their sea legs, perhaps we’re better as a result of it in the long run. All those guys were great last night. And shout out to Cody M too. Really solid game from him on a night we needed all hands on deck.

I think PJ’s the kind of player that needs a lot of reps. It might take this whole season to really make that next big step. He’s a lot more skilled than last year but has been struggling to implement those skills in an NBA game. Hopefully he’s starting to figure it out now.

I’m going to double down on my take that PJ is just trying to find himself in our lineup. Given a glaring hole like yesterday, he can be assertive and score buckets. But it’s a bit harder being the team guy I assume he is to defer to Ball, Rozier, Graham, GH, Monk, etc.

1 Like

I agree with this, and I’d say Devonte has suffered from this a bit as well. Both Devonte and PJ had much more prominent roles last year and I think they’ve both struggled a bit to find where they fit in given Ball’s and Hayward’s arrivals and Terry’s emergence. Devonte has clearly seemed less confident and much more hesitant in a support role this year versus being the go to guy last year. His situation has been further compounded by being hurt, so I expect his reintegration into the rotation once healthy will require even more adjustment since I’d imagine LaMelo is now a fixture in the starting line up.

I think it’s true that certain guys just function better when there are fewer people to defer to and they know they have a permanent green light. I think they’ll both eventually find that sweet spot though.

1 Like