Devonte' Graham farewell and S&T details

On the farewell, I loved this guy and am going to root damned hard for him to absolutely crush it with NOP. I have never felt this kind of love for a SRP in our Bobcat/Hornet incarnation (and I was a big UPS fan). He seems like a great guy and he punched way above his draft weight IMO. I also am thinking it’s hard to not credit our development approach (and "The Dude" major credit for taking him at #34) that he turned into several game winners, a potential FRP, and a SRP too (if I am reading things right).

On the S&T itself, the protections are what I think most were waiting on.
Per Rod Boone’s article on the details of the deal:

In regards to the lottery-protected pick the Hornets received from New Orleans, per sources, if the Pelicans are among the 14 teams participating in next year’s draft lottery then the Hornets will get their 2022 second-round pick instead – which could be a valuable selection near the top of the round. In addition, Charlotte also would receive a 2024 second-round selection from New Orleans.

Did ask Rod for clarity if that '24 SRP is conveyed in only the '22 SRP condition or in either case.

3 Likes

Looks like it’s a 1st in 2022 or (a 2022 2nd + 2024 2nd)

This is very solid value IMO.

2 Likes

You know Devonte did some bush league BS by posting that workout room video to expose Gelo. I am glad that he’s gone plus he was not worth the money.

DKM fan over here lol

How many private team workout videos have you EVER seen posted on social media? Zero! Better off w/out that negativity in the locker room.

I see workouts posted all the time

2 Likes

Agree. I see them frequently.

Agreed. Seems like there’s no want to make a contributory post, just tease out a reaction.

I would take Graham back at the backup pay rate that he’s earned. The Hornets front office fleeced NO with that guy. Great job!

You could probably get him back for a bag of Doritos!

What is going on with these guys. Miles and Devonte would have been way down on the list of guys I would think would have legal issues.

1 Like

DWIs are easy to get.

Of course, easy to avoid too.

1 Like

True. In my opinion, it also depend on the severity of DWI. If your BAC was 0.1 (limit is 0.08), not a big deal (compared to having 3lbs of weed in the car) just a bad lapse of judgement, but if you were piss drunk and driving, he should know better.

He’s been a train wreck (on and off court) since leaving. He needed Charlotte a lot more than he realized.

Please cite sources on this statement. From what is publicly available, he’s had one DWI, that’s a singular event. And as bad as that itself is, it does not suggest one has been a trainwreck off the court. Most of what I have seen on him has been a high rate of positive interactions with students at the University of Kansas and Kansas alums.

The article is my source. I guess in basketball world a DUI is an “event” but in the rest of the country it’s a criminal felony. Decades ago courts decided not to overlook or minimize the devastation this crime causes families every day. I agree with that decision.

As for on the actual court, he got replaced by a 5 11 undrafted free agent out of Georgia Tech of all places. The guy needed the Hornets a lot more than we needed him. Instead of greener grass he found failure and criminal behavior.

Man, why’re you trying to be cute with words, you know what Eastley meant. Train wreck implies (requires?) more than one bad act occurring. This was his first negative event that’s been documented, everything else has been great stuff from him in the community. And the word “event” is proper, its not a downplaying of a DWI, but a synonym for “act.”

And as a lawyer, you should know first time DWI’s are a misdemeanor, not a felony - its only escalated on the 3rd conviction. As a first time offense for him, this would fall more under being a big mistake which we hope he learns from, and it doesn’t move him into the realm of ongoing criminal behavior which you’ve somehow unfairly and wantonly imputed onto him.

1 Like

Some might consider a 700% raise to be greener grass. And since we’re still in search of a back up PG a year after his departure, one could argue that we actually need him more.

Yeah money can make up for that the fact that karma has been butt romping him every since the day that he left. He did try to “expose” the FO plans for Gelo while walking out the door. Not sure if anybody wants him back - not even for a bag of Doritos.