Game 17: Hornets at Nets

Gordon boosting his trade value with the 22/6/6 line!

We gave up 22 offensive rebounds to the nets.

And a little vintage terry.

Bryce shooting a little above 50% from three over his last 8 games. His stroke looks noice.

NSJ played some really quality minutes tonight. Shooting 50% from three this year. I mean itā€™s only 6/12 on the year, but 50% is 50% regardless of the sample size. And he looks like he belongs. Gives me vibes of when we first saw Bryce mcgowens play. Just gives that ā€œthis dude belongs out thereā€ kind of vibe.

Originally sent in Game 17: Hornets at Nets
spectre

NSJ in at the 6 minute mark. No that would be Ishā€¦who was I kidding

GoBobcats24

PJ doing PJ things not boxing out and sloppy turnovers

TheDorkLord

we are a bunch of slackers. Nets started off playing absolutely NO defense and we floated around

spectre

You guys hear theyā€™re reevaluating Melo in a week? Thatā€™s good

TheDorkLord

yeah, I'm wondering if Ashley gave us some hope

Eastley

Did Brooklyn's equipment manager not separate colors and wash in cold water?

powellrmp

Yes!!!

Thread
powellrmp

NSJ with the great offensive board and then the deep three same possession! Hell yeah

spectre

Only shot heā€™s gotten so far too. Not getting a lot of looks and I really mean no looks

powellrmp

rozier jacking up some bad shots

itā€™s like terry is randomly dribbling around, four hornets are watching, and then he jacks up a contested shot

I know he doesnā€™t play much but Iā€™d like to see a few plays that are run for him

cam Thomas is awesome

spectre

i think they have to start out in the corner of shame as a rite of passage

powellrmp

Kind of reminds me of rashad mccants a little. Dude that can score everywhere

GoBobcats24

I am so tired of watching PJ be lazy as hell

Mich_Mercer

What is happening. How are we winning? How do we score easier when our best players are out. I donā€™t understand us

powellrmp

Every time I turn away, we play well.

I missed the run before halftime. I was cooking wings on the smoker. Priorities

tnhornetsfan

I'm in shock

Does Mark leave his man too soon to protect the rim or is there no rotation on the back side to box out. Too many offensive rebounds

powellrmp

Mark has a lot of room to develop

i hate when he picks up his man like 5-6 feet away from the basket. At that point itā€™s already too late since heā€™s essentially backed down under the rim.

Gordon really canā€™t hit shit in the mid range.

Fuck this defense is bad

GoBobcats24

PJ flatfoot Washington man

powellrmp

like let the dude stroll down the court with 5 seconds left. Just watching

sure, I get not wanting to give up a stupid foul, but try. Pretend to care. Be at least slight inconvenience for the guy

Chef

The hornets the past two years are definitely that team on decent teams schedules where they know they can coast for 3 quarters and dial it up in the 4th and win.

powellrmp

Amen

TheDorkLord

ohhh

powellrmp

Iā€™m pretty sure weā€™re going to destroy Brooklyn in the 4th

of course

TheDorkLord

NSJ!

NSJ!

powellrmp

YES

NSJ MAFIA

NSJ-CREW? :joy:

Oh man that was almost a crazy oop for NSJ

Thread
GoBobcats24

I like Nick Smith he just passes the eye test big time

powellrmp

Big time. I hope Cliff keeps him in

powellrmp

Iā€™m not a fan of these Nets jerseys

Thread
TheDorkLord

yes, these jerseys are bad

powellrmp

They look like clowns

Thread
GoBobcats24

all PJ had to to was follow Roziers shot there. Instead he didā€¦ that

powellrmp

This has always been the problem with PJ. Always. Flat footed, floating around, inconsistent motor

powellrmp

That would be super dope if we could make a shot near the rim

I canā€™t wait to see how we blow this

tnhornetsfan

Terry is clutch.

powellrmp

wow. Vintage terry time in the fourth. The good old times

Mich_Mercer

Rozier is incredible tonight. Why canā€™t we always have this Terry.

powellrmp

can the NSJ fan club be called nsj-crew? Haha

Theyā€™ve stomped us on the boards, they have to have had a ton of offensive rebounds

Buckets22

Happy accident? We won

powellrmp

shocked he missed that shot

100 1
Mich_Mercer

Dodged a bullet there. I just knew that was going in. What a win

TheDorkLord

if we could have played better on the defensive boards we wouldn't had to sweat this. good game though for us long suffering dudes

powellrmp

They had 22 offensive rebounds

twenty two

cltblkhscoach

I guess I should go shopping more often during games. Lol

rofl 1

Nice win. Terry was incredible. I understand the excitement around the young guys but I donā€™t feel like he gets nearly enough credit for what he does for this team.

Bryce was huge as well. Nights like this restore hope that he could have a future after all.

I definitely think weā€™ve got a keeper in NSJ. He seems to have big-shot making DNA.

Mark has a ton of upside but he gets his shot blocked more than it seems he should for someone his size. And heā€™s got to do a better job keeping his guy off the offensive glass.

Was nice to see good Hayward tonight. And man, the impact of Milesā€™ absence last year was profound.

4 Likes

We have the best broadcast team in the league. Period.

2 Likes

I agree. I also would trade him today.

1 Like

Another big plus from this win is we keep winning the close games. I believe we have won every game we have played that has been decided by 3 points or less. I donā€™t remember another season where that is the case. Hope it continues.

I think it just means weā€™re actually worse than our record. I wish it meant we were clutch, but think it means weā€™re likely to eventually lose some of these games we should be winning by a larger margin.

2 Likes

Iā€™m starting to question his vertical and/or explosion. Maybe itā€™s just strength and experience. Hopefully correctable no matter what it is.

I have no idea who that team was yesterday. 21-36 from 3? The Hornets?!!! Was like they were scrimmaging themselves and giving up a bunch of wide open looks.

And to think, if they werenā€™t having a historical night from deep, we wouldā€™ve lost. Well, besides almost losing anyway due to our trademark of allowing wide open 3s and buzzer beaters, I donā€™t know how Cam missed that last shot. Maybe the double trademarks canceled the shot out. A contested three from half court definitely wouldā€™ve gone in.

I like confident Bryce. Seeing shots go down will unlock a ton of confidence, so we could see some growth here. NSJ needs to play more. Heā€™s got that Terry heat signature to his game, he needs to get as much experience as possible to begin becoming a set rotation player.

I think Mark is the perfect candidate to be in Olajuwonā€™s big man camp. Heā€™s more a fluid athlete than a stiff, and heā€™s got such a soft touch and good accuracy where heā€™ll be way more capable than someone like a Biz ever could be.

But it seems he doesnā€™t know how to play the post up game. Down there, with his size, you donā€™t have to be way more athletic than the defender. But his lack of footwork and experience being a primary scorer is obvious. Heā€™s not sure how to get people off balance with good fakes, how to leverage position, angles, timing - itā€™s definitely a skill to be learned. Post game isnā€™t a brute force game, its more craftiness and timing that will unlock his ceiling.

Iā€™m a little more conflicted here. I understand the pro argument completely. Thatā€™s peak Terry, teams will be salivating to get that guy, can hit tough shots and can absolutely steal a game or two in the playoffs. And the fact that Melo has started to become a primary scorer, which is Terryā€™s best skill, can that mesh in a coherent manner?

Maybe, but itā€™s the reason why the Nets have Cam Thomasā€™ scoring off the bench, even though heā€™s the leading scorer, since it might interfere with getting Mikal and Cam going. So getting peak value for a still really good asset is smart GMing.

But keeping Terry I think is beneficial. Like I said, he can steal a game or two for a contender, but heā€™s not gonna lead a team to a huge 10 game improvement by himself. Stealth (or outright) tanking to land a "It's Miller Time!" is great. But doing it multiple yearsā€¦as we see with the Panthers, lack of culture, accountability, dedication, that stuff creeps in to a locker room and itā€™s hard to shake out.

Especially if theres an impressionable young core youā€™re growing. Never feeling any success, or purposefully trying to tank definitely can seep into the DNA of a young guys development. Terry seems well liked in the locker room, can get guys excited and work hard to get a win. And getting a win every 2-3 games instead of every 6-7 does help with maturity and confidence.

Plus, the selfish part of me as a fan needs to see a win every now and then. Terry himself isnā€™t going to garner a huge playoff push. I donā€™t need or expect to win even half our games. But I was excited to watch last nights win, I donā€™t get those too often.

And in this draft, is the difference between pick 6 and 10 going to be that huge anyway.

But yes, trade Terry if weā€™re getting a 1st rounder and some intriguing prospect. But not just at any cost to move him right now.

2 Likes

I agree with this. Iā€™m definitely of the mindset that losing doesnā€™t guarantee any certain outcome. As we know all too well, having the worst record, even the worst record in history, doesnā€™t guarantee the top pick. And even if it did, thereā€™s no guarantee the #1 pick will pan out. Even during the 76ers ā€œprocessā€, most of those high lottery picks were busts. Only Embid turned out to be a franchise cornerstone and even with him they have yet to make a single conference finals appearance. Fultz and Okafor were busts and Simmons imploded after a few years. So what did all those years of being awful really yield?

And imo, I think the criticism of our FO making all these moves that have led us to mediocrity is a little unfounded. I agree we locked ourselves in during the Cho era by doubling down on average players like MKG, Zeller and Marvin. Extending them was a mistake. But the only clear win now move weā€™ve made under the current front officeā€™s regime was signing Hayward. And even with that weā€™ve still managed to be a lottery team every year heā€™s been here. I suppose some people might argue we shouldnā€™t have re-signed Terry, or maybe shouldā€™ve flipped him immediately in a S&T for picks. But back to QCā€™s point, losing only breeds a culture of losing. And since Terryā€™s been here weā€™ve had a #2 and a #3 overall pick and weā€™ve been able to still acquire a talented young core even with vets like Hayward and Terry, so Iā€™d argue they havenā€™t hindered our ability to build while remaining at least moderately competitive. I havenā€™t agreed with every decision this FO has made, but I agree with @Steelmatic 's earlier point that theyā€™ve struck a decent balance between building while at least trying to be somewhat competitive.

1 Like

I like the sentiment, but if I could add: we got incredibly lucky vaulting up to pick 3 in 2020 to have the potential to nab Lamelo ball. We had a 6.7 chance to get the 3rd pick, and then the fortune for ball to slip.

We were also blessed with the second pick this year. So we got miller and ball by sheer luck. So Iā€™m not going to give GM Mitch any credit there, or say that ā€œsee we can build without committing to losingā€, because getting those guys was just luck.

Other than that, weā€™ve had middle picks in the middle of the first.

Despite not committing to the losing (I say laying the foundation for the future), we got super lucky with those two picks.

When you commit to laying the foundation for the future you can do what the Thunder have done. You can trade people away, be bad, get high draft picks, and develop some of that young talent and let ā€˜em play.

But we havenā€™t been able to commit to that because of injuries. Injuries have left empty promises and GM Mitch has been chasing the dragon of ā€œwhat ifsā€.

1 Like

Yeah, the Cho era moves like MKG, Zeller, Marvin and Batum are the type of moves I was referring to as keeping us in mediocrity. While I wasnā€™t all that excited about the Hayward signing I wasnā€™t mad at it and understood it. Terry has been a gem and made us clear winners of the Kemba trade.

I can see both sides of the tank vs be competitive argument to build a team. While you have your Philly examples You also have your examples like Orlando, OKC or Houston who have torn it completely down stockpiled a volume of young talent and in Houstonā€™s case now they hire a great coach and bring a few adult/vet role players in to make them a formidable team. OKC has stacked the assets to acquire vets to add to their mix if they want and they are close to being real contenders.

We chose the try to be competitive path and Iā€™m good with that. While weā€™ve had a lot of terrible luck weā€™ve had a little good lottery luck to get Melo and Miller and thatā€™s a really good foundation to build on.