Hornets Head Coaching search (2022)

He did say his hip might keep him out a year. Have to admit it would be nice to get him.

But watch the other hand, that means where there was one head coach opening, now there would be two. But Quinn would not be a candidate added to the pool. Him leaving UTA would seem like only a bad thing for us.

1 Like

Atkinson meeting with MJ and others next week and is now considered the leading candidate according to Shams, says D’antoni and Stotts still finalists but they arent sure that either of them have secured an MJ in person meeting yet.

Will be the 3rd time we have met with Atkinson in-person.

Im going to be fairly disappointed if Atkinson is the guy. Not upset about it, I just think there are stronger hires to be made.

Having said, Atkinson will bring the attitude and emotion that JB was missing. He’s a players coach but won’t bullshit either.

Atkinson! Let’s go baby!

Looking strong that we’ve got our guy. Wasn’t my first choice of those remaining but like him better than most others (still have a coach-crush on Vanterpool). Really hope he can pull in a young up and coming assistant like Charles Lee and maybe a senior assistant in a Triano role.

1 Like

Snyder has interviewed with us before:

We actually have interviewed him twice and passed on him. But it looks like he was with the Lakers while Mitch was there as well.

1 Like

Would we have to compensate the jazz in some way to sign him since he was under contract with them?

Yeah. Just like with Sean Payton and the Saints in the NFL, he is still under contract. Unless they settle on a buyout I guess.

So, if Snyder wants to coach this year, do Hornets pursue? And, would Atkinson be interested/candidate for the jazz job? Interesting situation.

I would be so surprised if he went right into another position. In that case, i think this just complicates things for us and i wish we had handled our business already if that does come into play.

If NBA not get 75 billion tv deal in 2025 and franchise value decline, owners might pivot. But players league, If players paid less and not 300+ Max for Ball, players might pivot.

But not just rules change Silverball. the Analytics genie out of bottle not just 3P shot.
Start of this decade lowest in NBA history in fouls & thus free throws, turnovers, ORB rate (highest DRB)

To go with continued high pace & scoring, move to positionless playless basketball.
Hire Kenny Atkinson you get this and one of NBA biggest analytics coach’s, a real modern NBA hire.

Just accept good with bad…along lines if analytics say not play players more than 30 minutes, Nets players aren’t played more than 30 minutes…but not entirely inflexible, bend rules for super star Kyrie and played for 33 minutes.

Edit: Dang wrong thread move to other on coach hire or I need to delete?
Edit2: thanks & done

Donovan Mitchell 'Unsettled, Unnerved' Following Quin Snyder Resignation - RealGM Wiretap [LINK]
DREAM I had last night.
1st We hire Snyder as our new coach. 2nd We trade Terry, Bouknight, Plumlee, Our two first and our second round picks . Jazz trade Mitchell and filler if needed.

We look like Ball, Mitchell, Bridges Hayward, Washington
With Kai, Martin, McDaniel’s Thor. Veteran point.
Didn’t say i would do it .But it would be interesting.

1 Like

Let’s just hire both of them.

2 Likes

Saw this video, gives good insight into how Kenny is in practice footage and player interviews.

I know the radio guys were kinda meh on him based on his record, but I feel theres much more context that they were overlooking. The Nets were a complete dumpster fire with no draft picks for several long years. When they suddenly popped up as a playoff team with nothing but role players after only a couple seasons, he immediately was on my radar.

Our weakness this year was we were too soft. Punch the Hornets in the mouth, they’ll give up unless they start hitting a bunch of threes. Now if we got up on a team early, we were hard to catch up with because of the offense. But not much resistance, and while I feel Borrego did have an intensity about him, that energy stayed bottled up and didn’t translate to the rest of the team. And from bits and pieces we hear, it seems his communication style was close to the vest, without much understanding of his decision making.

I like Kenny’s attention to defense and energy that popped of in that video. I think his time with Golden State is pretty invaluable too, as he can see first hand the impact of a good culture and maybe what’s needed to help build it, and maybe understanding the management style of Kerr in how he gets the best out of players.

I know D’Antoni is getting another interview, I assume its to be a head coach but not sure if there is a scheme to bring him on as an offensive assistant guru/point guard mentor for Melo/future front office role. If the money is not an issue, maybe MJ brings in both as a combo.

2 Likes

I have been wondering the same thing. MDA is a big supporter of Atkinson, I wonder if we get them both.

Dateline: 11:32 AM, Wednesday, May 31st, 2023

For Not-So-Fast Release

Reports indicate that with Mike D’Antoni officially removing himself from consideration, the strong possibility that both Glenn “Doc” Rivers and Mike Budenholzer of Philadelphia and Milwaukee respectively will be terminated by management, and Quinn Snyder exiting his sabbatical year following his 2022 departure from the Utah Jazz, Michael Jordan will meet with each individually for next round of in-person interviews as they zero in on the 13-month vacancy of a head coach in Charlotte. The Hornets - having lost their 3rd pick in Kenny Atkinson to then-newly opened position in Utah - have spent the past 11 months thinking of candidates they like and offering college coaches interim spots on the bench when pressed into fielding a head coach by the NBA. Details to follow on the next round of interviews but expectations are that they will roll into 2023-24 again with fill-in coaches.

All in jest, just wishing to see some news of a hire so I can go on with my life :slight_smile:

1 Like