Magic Number Thread

As much as a fracture sucks, I’d think the recovery is so muchbetter than sprains or worse.

1 Like

Done for the year damn it

I am concerned over the nature of that fracture. That was him stopping/planting and it fracturing. It could be one of those 1 in a million type things. When you consider the force on the body during normal athletics it is amazing it doesn’t happen all the time.

Or it could be the sign of a glass body.

He has been injured each of the past two years with bone/joint stuff

Saw speculation it could be an avulsion fracture, where a small chunk of bone attached to a tendon or ligament gets pulled away from the main part of the bone. Not sure if this can lead to chronic issues. Hope he spends time in the weight room getting stronger overall this off-season, and is at full strength to start next season.

Believe Gordo had that type of fracture last year

Absolutely. As long as there’s little to no ligament or tenon involved, this could be a heavily disguised blessing. Rest up and rehab his ankle properly, i.e. without the need to get back on the court anytime soon.

*added as I scrolled down the thread … If it is an avulsion fracture, or the like, the lack of urgency in the rehab process is a good thing. Let the fracture heal, then set about diligently rehabbing from the toes up. Really get his foot and ankle mobility, strength and power to a good level.

1 Like

Typically an avulsion fracture happens when you twist the ankle and then tendon breaks away with the bone at the insertion point.

Not saying it couldn’t be one of those super rare instances, but he was planted and it seems like it was just a failure to carry the load. Just judging by what I saw the cause of the injury seems to be internal and not the result of an external trauma like an ankle twisting. More like when Achilles tendons rupture

1 Like

On the subject of magic number itself, I’m not sure we have any real way of moving up from 4th worse or moving down. With 19 games left, we’re 5 wins ahead of DET, 6 and 7 ahead of SAN and HOU respectively and 6 behind ORL. I think we’re where we’ll be regardless of a complete melt or surge.

May the Lottery gods forever be in our favor.

2 Likes

Thats a lateral ankle fracture, not your typical for sure. We all thought it was achilles. So I guess this is better.

Bones healing haven’t been Ball Brothers strong suits.

Also, way to go Hornets, 5 straight WINS in a season that Kupchak said was throw away last month.

How many seasons did we need 5 straight wins and couldn’t get them?

We have solidified ourselves of at best 4th place odds, where you are just as likely to have a pick 5-8 range as 1-4.

It was shortsighted.

Ok Chef, here’s my therapy services analysis so you (and the other worried tank heads) can relax your souls for the rest of the season.

Great news, Magic Win! Or Magic Wins? Can Magic be plural? So right now, we are 6.5 games back of the Magics. 6.5 doesn’t seem like a lot, are we gonna catch them?

If Melo didn’t get hurt because of the Hornet’s curse, we absolutely would’ve won the next 19 games and gotten 11th place. As of now, I’d say at best, maybe we keep playing above .500 and go 10-9, which would take us to 30-52.

The Magicals are currently 26-36. They’d have to go 4-16 to match us, but I think they win the tiebreaker, so it’d actually be 3-17. They’ve been playing above .500 since like December, so this is extremely unlikely to happen. They got their star, and they’ll still end up with the 5th worst team and a great chance at Wemby anyway.

Indiana might be a bigger threat, but they are another game up on the Magic, so they too would have to go 3-17.

Bigger picture, at the start of the season I thought we’d fall into our normal place with the 10th-11th lottery slot. There was no way to sniff the top of the lottery right?

Things fell (apart) into place perfectly for us to get all the way from 11 to 4. We were never gonna be as terrible as the Rockets/Spurs/Pistons. I’m even surprised the Rockets and Spurs won as many as they have. With our guys healthy, we’re a couple tiers above them, so the fact we were even playing in the same sandbox shows remarkable fortune.

If you asked me at the beginning of the year if there was a way to sabotage the team to get us 12.5% odds instead of our normal .001% odds, I would’ve done almost anything for that (just not creepy or murderous stuff, but anything else was on the table).

I am now excited to see Gordon up his trade value with his all star play down the stretch. With Mark becoming a new version of Rudy Gobert/Jarrett Allen but quicker and better offense. With DSJ turning into our Marcus Smart. With Bryce outplaying his contract within a month. With Thor getting up to 3 points per game. With Kai taking off his warmups once per game.

3 Likes

Tonight’s a big game against the Orlandos to determine whether we can relax the rest of the year with a loss, or continue pulling our hair out by winning and creeping closer to 5.

I still feel we’re not going to be able to go past Orlando in the standings. But understanding fully the curse of HL, it’s almost guaranteed that either Terry or Oubre go off for a career game, Mark gets a 20 and 10 game, and we win by double figures. Thor may even get 4 points this game in 30 minutes!

2 Likes

agreed but even with a win we would still be 5.5 games back. I think we are safe even with a win.

The need to have a non-random “random” significant person not affiliated with the team approach steve clifford and not so subtly suggest that if it is even close going into the back half of the third quarter both rozier and oubre are to be benched.

At the same time the entire locker room area is showing nothing but the nancy kerrigan film on loop.

1 Like

No Melo, no chance. We’re good at 4 either way.

3 Likes

Definitely no way we win this game with LaMelo… I’m not sure we win again, but I’m cool with it, as long as we give the young guys big minutes. Really need to get Bouknight in the game.

I could watch Mark Williams play 48 minutes a night. He’s a great to watch even if there are some rough edges in pnr defense.

2 Likes

If we somehow secure the #1 overall pick, I’m going to cry. Please universe, we need this one.

Edit: you know what. Mitch would find some way to fuck it up. Trade it away for a couple of future firsts and every single 2nd rounder for 5 years. So no, I won’t hold my breathe because I do believe Mitch will find a way to fuck this up.

And then I would really cry.

Here it is.

If the hornets get the #1 pick, I will record a video of myself eating one of those spicy one chip challenge chips. And post my the video of my suffering here on HP. That’s how positive I am it won’t happen.

1 Like

I screenshot this JUST IN CASE! Because if we get the 1st pick im coming back for that video.lol

1 Like