Magic Number Thread

There is ZERO chance this team is better than 4th. Tonight is Bobcats era bad.

1 Like

This is some trash basketball.

Shout out to Mikal Bridges though. That was a sick first quarter for him.

https://www.si.com/nba/draft/newsfeed/morts-rookie-notebook-v3

1 Like

Remind me, is there a mercy rule in the nba?

1 Like

Where are the young guys? Cā€™mon Clifford. Geesh!

He basically played 7 guys.

I think heā€™s telling us that Theo, Kai, Thor and Bouk are garbage.

Heā€™s likely right.

Iā€™m out until the Lottery. That wonā€™t go well Iā€™m sure.

Theyā€™ll keep Clifford and next season will be another disaster because heā€™s a dinosaur and the FO is incompetent.

Itā€™s almost baseball season. Love my Royals and the WBC starts this week.

Heā€™ll keep grinding Rozier, Hayward, PJ and Oubre because theyā€™re vets. They can earn their checks.

Then splash in Williams, Richards and McGowens because they might actually become NBA players. Donā€™t burn them out though.

The rest are done and at this point nothing matters anyway. This season is over and thatā€™s all we got.

I got the notification on my phone that the game started. Put it on and fell asleep after a quarter.

Woke up to being down 37. Was thinking, I guess itā€™s cool, maybe the young guys will get a chance to get more than a couple minutes experience, maybe Kai and Bouk can show some promise.

Haha. Wrong. Iā€™m so excited in a season where we canā€™t finish any better than the 4th worst record, coach thought it was a bigger priority of the team for the veteran starters to ride out a ā€œcomebackā€ from down 37 to 16 for a moral victory. Iā€™m sure this will carry forward and set a mark for excellence - ā€œlook, we didnā€™t lose by 40!!!ā€

I mean, I guess if you hire a mime to give your press conferences, then when he goes to give a speech and in fact does not even talk, you shouldnā€™t be surprised at all.

1 Like

I heard Cliff on WFNZ last week talking about how him, Kupchak, and Jordan are all old school in agreeance about minutes and how they have to be earned. I get that we want that culture here and the guys did start playing better, but by mid 4th quarter it was done. 5 minutes of those young guys would have been cool, because Iā€™m sure they are practicing and working hard too.

3 Likes

Yeah, I feel like this last part of the season is invaluable for Kaiā€™s development. Give him pressure free minutes, he needs actual time to learn valuable game experience, to work on a few things or at least gain confidence in being trusted with the ball and make plays.

This only helps him come back with a better idea what to work on this summer, maybe a confidence boost to inspire him to work even harder, and it also gives the team a good chance to see if the investment in the pick has a chance at panning out.

Again, this season is over, letā€™s see if there is anything worth it on the bench. At the least, Thor has gotten his chance at minutes and is not productive enough to play. Time to switch it up and let Thor dominate Greensboro for a bit and let Kai stretch his wings. And because the year is over, Iā€™d also see if something is salvageable in Bouk. Cause what does it hurt to find out.

1 Like

Itā€™s performances like this that worry me the most. Not specifically the result, but the performance. Terry & GH are experienced vets, on big money, who simply can not run the offence. I donā€™t understand how we can become so utterly dysfunctional without LaMelo. Clearly, our offence will suffer, but this is beyond a joke.

If we do indeed run it back, as Mitch clearly wants to, weā€™ll only ever be one LaMelo injury away from being dysfunctional again. We have to see what DSJ and Theo can offer at the PG position, as we have to protect ourselves next season against any time without LaMelo.

3 Likes

I looked at the last quarter season for DET, SAN, & HOU and I donā€™t see them combined to account for more that 3-6 wins total. Seems like the best possibility is actually HOU getting on a mini run to finish our equal of 20 wins. In other words, I canā€™t see a way weā€™re getting better than 4th in lotto odds.

I would say winning 11 games in January and February did us in. SO short sighted.

Oh well we will have better chances than any year that isnt 2011!

Grrrrrrrrrr

If Clifford was given an edict to win, that was short sighted. And in a way, not guaranteeing his second year when the team looked decimated health wise early seems so as well.

I was curious about how much of a difference Ball makes since we have fallen apart since he got hurt again. With Ball as a starter this season we are 31-23 (36%) and with him not starting 7-23 (23%). For an entire season it would mean and extra 10 or 11 victories. I hope he is healthy next year we could use the extra victories.

1 Like

I think he means even more than that to us in terms of wins.

I trust in MJ to continue to run this franchise on the cheap and into the ground no matter figure heads he hires.

If win get top 2 on 6/22 (especially Scoot)ā€¦this and broken ankle (and miss 82/247 games) gets MJ a bullshit business out to not extend Mello on 7/6. No max contracts and not keeping and paying Mello ?5/210(250)?

For a defensive minded coach, we sure donā€™t play any defense to speak of.

I think you should tune back inā€¦lol