MJ selling team 2023?

Dang man, where you been?

Agree completely.

My big wish, other than Wemby in the draft, is for the Hornets to strike gold on a GM. Someone who has plenty of years in the tank to be here for a good while. And for that person to be given licence to define and drive the direction.

LaMelo, Williams, a top half of lottery pick, the only bad contract (and Batumā€™s stretched deal) off the books next season is a decent place to be. But this off-season is absolutely pivotal ā€¦ choosing who of Oubre, PJ, Richards & Miles to sign, and for how much, is key, along with getting value in the draft. Such a huge off-season.

5 Likes

Between landing a Wemby or the next Masai Ujiri, Iā€™d venture to say the latter is more valuable to the franchise and us as fans long term.

2 Likes

Or whatever GM Boston has in mind

Lol here but lurking. I always come here for mostly rational discourse regarding the team.

Took over team losing money easy justify scrooging on players, coaches, and player amenities.
Team making profit, next tv deal bigger $$$.

New owner no guarantee make better choices, but hard to do worse.
And not one of bad people owners, just bad at running team.

Sell team MJ, make a lot of money.
No team ownership to add to legacy mantle but life is very good. Golf at Jupiter and spend time with Yvette and daughters.

And Maybe then we pay a player max, over cap, coaches more than 2 million, get players travel room better than Holiday Inn, etc.

What is this about? I have never heard that we are/have been cheap in regard to simple amenities such as travel expenses.

I heard that same thing recently too. I think it was noted when we played in NY, could be wrong on that detail, but the comment was that weā€™re the only NBA team that doesnā€™t stay in 5-star hotels. The others always do.

Good gracious, thatā€™s insanely short-sighted if true. Why in the world would you be the 1 of 30 not appearing to take care of the most precious assets of the team, the players and coaching staff.

2 Likes

Most recently, believe actually from one of Plowright pods.
Hyperbole or an actual happening, emphasizes how bush league and cheap we already know franchise is based on what we pay players, coaches, & staff.

1 Like

Sheesh @Plowright if this is hyperbole it should be clarifiedā€¦

What I think he is referring to is Jake Fischer who was a guest on my podcast and spoke about Charlotte being relatively low spending (Staying in 4* Hotels, low paying). Episode link is below:

2 Likes

I get the perception of ā€œlow spendingā€ but does the team actually stay in lesser hotels than other organizations? Stuff like this matters and just putting hyperbole out there like this based on the team didnā€™t sign so and so to a contract or sold off draft picks ā€œcause theyā€™re cheapā€ isnā€™t exactly a good idea even as fans.

1 Like

Thatā€™s not something I reported, but Jake Fischer stated it as fact in the podcast. I think he even listed the hotel they stayed in compared to the one other teams normally stay in. Youā€™ll have to listen to decide yourself if itā€™s hyperbole, but itā€™s not some rumor, Jake is well sourced and well respected.

3 Likes

Just to clarify on my end I wasnā€™t going after anyone in particular. I know how fans can be and throw stuff out there based on unpopular choices the team may have made so Iā€™d rather have solid info to go on. Obviously I donā€™t know Fischerā€™s sources but if weā€™re legit not taking care of the players/coaches the right way then we need a whole new ā€œownership groupā€ lol.

The NFLPA just released a survey ranking best working conditions among each franchiseā€¦ is there something like that for the NBA?

Good question. I saw the report. Iā€™m a Titans fan and they have long been viewed as, letā€™s say, frugal. Their lowest scoring areas were for locker room: C (20th) and team travel: F (T-28th). Maybe, where thereā€™s smoke, thereā€™s fire as far as the Hornets are concerned.

Edit: the Commanders were last overall. Plenty of Fā€™s. That explains a lot.

Miss all the data man. Good to see you in here

I remember many years ago when touring the arena noticing how surprisingly small the locker room was. Is it still that way?

Alexis Ajinca was sitting there and I tried a little tall joke on him (as in ā€œMan, you SO tallā€). He just snarled at me lol. I mean, it was pretty harmless.

Iā€™m in agreement with those who arenā€™t excited to hear this news. Iā€™ve never quite understood all the vitriol towards Jordan. For an organization that has struggled to find an identity and garner respect within the league, we could do a lot worse than to be affiliated with the best player of all time.

3 Likes

I think Mike is real instreted in his race team right now. I donā€™t think heā€™s missed a race this year . And a lot of money is going into his cars . They are competive starting the 2nd year.
I hope Mike is and has treated his players fair.