"Neva' Lost" LaMelo Ball Thread

This was in The Athletic last night. Part of a Rookies: “Most likely to” article by Zach Harper. I don’t know if this is a better fit in this thread or Hayward’s. I don’t think it’s an unfair MLT prediction. I do think it explains why an “improve the roster before anyone questions when we will” was prioritized.

1 Like

I fully expect this to happen at some point

I mean if we’re a contender I doubt he’d leave

Either way he’s basically locked into here for 7 years

I think Trae Young has proven that to be wrong. If he can insist on the team getting him help in year two, imagine the influence of a young man with more IG followers than the team he was selected by?

Borrego went on the Nick Wilson radio show and spoke about how Lamelo texts him constantly asking about the plans for this season and general questions about the game. He also spoke about how Lamelo is not what he expected and is a joy to be around, a real team guy, etc.

So how dumb are the Wolves for taking Anthony “I don’t really like basketball” Edwards instead of a guy who could set up KAT and Russell for easy looks without taking shots away from them?

Oh well. Always glad to get another guy who lives and breathes the game.

2 Likes

Have to admit, I think this is really neat.

from: https://twitter.com/BleacherReport/status/1334317567926628352?s=20

2 Likes

Seems to me like the # switch is real. Malik taking 5 and giving Lamelo 1?

Hornets released some Lamelo jerseys tonight and when you got to checkout there was a thing that said the jersey was going to ship 6-10 weeks after the player signed their contract with their official jersey number.

Interesting. Also cool that if they do change his jersey # to 1 thats the jersey you will receive.

So even though The Athletic let Rod Boone go, he apparently is still in Charlotte and started his own Hornets newsletter.

“He has an infectious spirit. This is a young man that is infectious. His spirit, his energy, his desire to be great, his desire to make the most and get the most out of the players around him. So for me it’s a joy to have someone in the program that we’ve added. I’m not going to have to wear this guy out to get in the gym. He wants to be in the gym.”

To make it in the league, you either need to have incredible talent, an insane drive/motor, or freak physical attributes. What separates the stars from your so called run-of-the-mill freaks of nature in the league is if you have that inner drive to go with your great skill set, which seems far less common than you would expect.

From all I’ve been reading, a 6’7 (and growing) point guard with innately acute basketball awareness/ability to see the court, combined with this seeming passion and work ethic, we may have finally been able to uncover a true natural gem down here. Though as the great Mike Tyson said, everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth - so I guess we’ll see once he’s on the court. But my optimistic side has good vibes here (not to be confused with the Vonleh or Monk vibes…or Lance vibes).

4 Likes

If he does realize the star potential, let’s just hope his dad doesn’t become the punch in the mouth

I feel like his dad will be a huge cheerleader of ours honestly, particularly if Lamelo does realize star potential. MJ being the owner will help with that as he will think twice about badmouthing the GOAT in the public eye.

Which is probably why MJ is reaching out to him to build a relationship. With all the talk about MJ being a “bad owner”, MJ is still MJ. He still commands a lot of respect in the sports world.

According to some insiders podcast I forget who but they claimed behind the scenes Jordan is probably one of the most powerful owners with the other owners

Was not a Ball fan, but have to admit I like the facts he’s 110% committed to being a good basketball player.
He seems to be a hard worker and very happy to be on a basketball court. Hope it translates, I admit I’m now not worried at all about him becoming a bust

2 Likes

Him being 6’7" is a huge plus. Of the three top picks, I think he has the brightest future and highest ceiling. If he can get a derozan mid range shot look out. If he can get a three ball, you are talking franchise setting player.

1 Like

Yea, his size is a big plus. If he applies himself on D he has the size to guard multiple positions. And his attitude, thus far, is everything you want to hear.

His shot will, as you say, dictate his ceiling and IF he can shoot the ball from deep the sky is the limit.

I also love players who grow late as they had to work on skills to enable them to compete against players larger than them when they were younger and/or develop skills outside of the normal remit at their position (Anthony Davis for example).

I can not wait to see the team out there for real now. So much intrigue and potential to excite.

1 Like
3 Likes