Off Season Changes?

I mean, Love’s an infinitely better way to shed the final year of Hayward’s contract than Westbrook would be. You’d still have ENTIRELY too much money tied up in one position where neither guy is a cornerstone piece, but Love would be additive without breaking the entire team’s structure in a way that Westbrook apparently doesn’t want to be.

5 Likes

Sexton, garland, lavert coming up for deals…to take extra year Hayward 30…to make work got to find place for their fragile seven foot PF Lari Legend.

Love, Markannen(17/17/6 of 17 guaranteed), Windler, a couple 2nds
for
Hayward, PJ, Bouknight,#13

plus what cost 3rd team take on Lari/Oubre/Plumlee for Miles extension cap space, hope limited to 2nd round player & future picks capital…what Mitch gets for Cody S&T, Thor, Jalen, Nick, those Cavs 2nds, etc.

This article claims that Ayton is probably on the move

I know the pistons have been linked to Miles, so I suppose Miles would be off the table if they acquired ayton

It’s not going to excite anyone, but supposedly Denver is shopping Will Barton and Monte Morris - that’s the kind of “two rotation guys making less overall” that Charlotte might be looking at if they move off Hayward’s money to pay Bridges. Denver doesn’t have a ton to package with those guys in order to aim higher, already owing firsts in 23 and 25, so it might be something to keep an eye on.

1 Like

This is an example of a good move, one that Boston and Miami do. Not necessarily this exact move but this type of move.

2 Likes

If we can bring in a rotational wing and a backup pg without adding either money or years, then we should look at it.

Morris would be really good for us off bench, Barton is an Oubre type (but better overall and more of a team player).

I don’t care that The Mitten is close to his AARP subscription, I’d love him as a free agent signing this summer.

1 Like

It’s time to get hyped all the way up! If something BIG is gonna happen it’s gonna happen over the next two weeks!

I for one am hoping for: word on signing Miles long term, maybe a trade of a few of our fringe players, solid draft picks and maybe just maybe strong arming PJ into a team friendly deal.

Personnel changes can lead to big things!

On the PJ front … surely one of PJ, Terry or Hayward needs to be moved? Granted, we could wait until the conclusion of PJ’s contract to do a sign and trade, but I’d like us to make our move sooner than that. Personally, I want to see what Kenny can do with PJ. Can he make him a more consistent player? That’s my hope.

I agree that a fairly decent sized shake-up could be on the cards.

Terry and Hayward should be moved. Probably won’t but they should be trying

4 Likes

Completely agree, on both players and both counts.

Who replaces Terry’s shooting?

2 Likes

I am in the camp of completely redesigning the roster especially in terms of the big money guys. It isn’t that I don’t like Terry (he is probably my favorite) it’s that everything needs to be built around LaMelo.

2 Likes

aaaaanndd just as i think we were out of it, we find ourselves in cap hell again.

at least we’re done paying batum buy out money after the 22/23 season…sigh.

I posted this in another thread but decided I’d re-home it in this thread

With the hiring of Atkinson and the hornets looking at all sorts of players in the draft, some far up the board…I wonder if the front office is close to blowing this thing up and regrouping.

Maybe not a FULL rebuild. But close. Atkinson did an admirable job with the nets. Atkinson would be the guy for the job if this is the plan…

We can all agree that this roster and organization doesn’t have room for multiple rookies to join the team. The hornets have been working out all sorts of players pre draft. Which of course, doesn’t mean much but it’s worth noting.

I’m probably reading too far into things, but I do wonder…is Mitch about to launch a mini rebuild and start unloading players to accommodate the young players that didn’t play last season? Which I believe was a big part of firing coach JB (not playing the rookies).

And the firing of JB one year after a contract extension is definitely a sign of a front office acknowledging that this isn’t working. I wonder if players like rozier and Gordon would be shipped off to get this rebuild party started.

So this is where your deleted post went … I’ll pop my answer to it here, so it makes more sense:

I’d move Terry, Hayward, Oubre, and Mason. I’d give PJ the year to prove what he can do under KA (or sign him earlier if the money’s right); obviously feature LaMelo & Miles; give proper minutes to Cody, Bouknight, McDaniels, Thor & Kai. Let’s see what we’ve got in our young guys.

There are loads of players I like in this draft too. I can see Duren & Williams, maybe Koloko being good additions. Murray, Sochan, Eason & Jovic could be really good for us. Daniels, Davis, Branham, Agbaji, Terry would all excite me. LaRavia, Williams & Moore are players I like too. Why not work some trades to get three picks in this first round, fill the roster with youth and let KA develop and mould them into a team that functions and works hard on both sides of the ball*? Then start filling holes with free agents and trading for vets next season.

*and move on from those who aren’t prepared to give the required effort on D. Ability is one thing, I doubt Bouknight could ever become a plus defender for example, but effort is surely non-negotiable for all.

I get the threads mixed up sometimes, and thought this would be the better thread for my post. sorry about that.

And I could be wrong, but my read of the tea leaves is that we’re heading towards a potential rebuild in the next few weeks that has already started. The question will be IF Mitch can get the value he wants out of trading away guys like Gordon Hayward and Terry Rozier. I think that’ll the biggest hang up on the process. Here’s what I’m seeing that makes me think this way:

1. Firing a coach one year after a contract extension for missing the playoffs again
  2. Firing the coach in part because he was not playing the rookies
  3. Hiring a proven developmental coach in Atkinson over a guy like D’Antoni
  4. Working out a lot of players all over the draft board

I wonder if we’ll see some pre draft or draft night trades of the vets to clear space for young players?

3 Likes

No worries. You had the good sense to move to the correct thread. All good.

1 Like