Off Season Changes?

I would very much like a small rebuild. I don’t even think it’ll require we give up our playoff hopes either. The team can win without Terry or Hayward and I think Mitch is realizing that. Terry isn’t the guy at the 2 for this team. Might be why someone like Sharpe is even getting a workout. Draft night is going to be really interesting to watch.

2 Likes

I think Mitch will be the one who will be the hold up. He’s tight. Not monetarily, but in terms of how he evaluates trades. The only trades he’s ever really pulled are the ones where the Charlotte Hornets seem to be the clear winner (at least at the time).

Any trade that rids the team of Gordon Hayward and Terry Rozier’s contract, he will have to take the loss on. It’s going to cost him to move those contracts and he knows it. I think Mitch hates “losing” trades so much that his ego and self image as a GM would take a hit. No one wants to be the GM accepting a bad or “meh” trade-when the reason for the trade is something they were wrong about in the first place… Especially at his stage in his career. This is my read and a lot of conjecture on my part.

But…Mitch has already fired coach JB and has put out the message that he’s not fucking around. So maybe there’s some humility in there?

[Fischer] Hornets have communicated around the league a willingness to move the No. 15 pick, sources said.

Terry has a plus value . No way we give up a draft pick for Terry. Now some one might give us a pick and a player for Terry. Oubre with his expiring should net a first all so. Plumlee another expiring we give up a first for him last year . Value should be more now. Hayward is a neutral contract . We could take on a extra year from another player. And move him easy, Think Brogdon or Love for Hayward straight up. We set up for tons of moves and or draft picks.

1 Like

You’re overvaluing our players. The rest of the league sees a team that got blown out in the play in game two years straight.

Hayward is not a neutral contract. Not even close. A guy that’s 32 years old, has missed about 70ish games the past two seasons, and has two years with 60 million dollars owed to him. There’s nothing neutral about that contract.

And your trade values are off. The Nuggets traded JaMychal Green and a protected 2027 1st pick to the OKC Thunder for…pick #30 and a “future second rounder”

What about Terry for Rose and a first . NY want’s Terry .NY needs a point bad . We save two years.
Oubre 16ppg for a first should be easy.
Plunlee netted a first from us last year . He should net another first being a expiring.
Hayward for Love or Brogdon , Westbrook and a pick in 27 . Wall. could all be done. And more.
Who do you disagree with ? Why all have been rumored?
I think you are undervaluing our guys some as i may be over valuing some. Thoughts on each?
If i had to pay to move Hayward . You keep him for two years as a reserve . His money is not required to sign what we need . I just count him as MELO money.

Agreed and who replaces his toughness - not Montrezl. We are already way too soft. We get bullied too much. I just don’t get why you guys want to replace someone who’s productive with somebody who could not crack the rotation on a non play off team.

2 Likes

We didn’t give up a first for Plumlee. We traded the 57th pick for Plumlee and the 37th pick (Thor).

My mistake just trying to show expiring have value . Hayward , even could be traded without giving up draft picks . Terry at 20ppg i really don’t want to trade . He is our leader [think last summer] I would be slow to trade.

1 Like

I agree I wouldn’t give up a pick, at least not a first round pick to trade Hayward.

I say we do a 3 way with the Pacers and Knicks with us getting Turner and Brogdon going to the Knicks.

I’d be happy to take Turner from them, but only if they take our injury prone player in return. I wouldn’t contemplate talks if Hayward going the other way isn’t part of the deal.

1 Like

I’d much rather have brogdon than Turner and then move Terry

Brogdon and melo would be super interesting

2 Likes

Brogdon is hurt more than Hayward . You want to move a 20ppg player to start a over the hill Brogdon or even a beat down Never been healthy Turner. We can do better .
Bamba would be a much better choice.

For all the “let’s trade Terry” people, who can we get who would be BETTER than Terry? Please don’t list some unproven “high upside” 2nd/3rd year player who hasn’t averaged more than 10 a game. Name one dude who averages over 19.5 points a game who actually wants to be in Charlotte. One.

That is why the “let’s trade Terry” talk is so irrational you want to trade him for your fantasies of greener grass. There is no there there to your hopes.

Let’s talk some actual numbers and NIGHTlY production.

2 Likes

I have irrational fantasies about operating within the limitations of our cap space. You know, the salary cap. You caught me.

I’m assuming you’re wanting Miles bridges back? How much do you think he’s going to get paid?

Oh, and this roster for two years straight has been crushed in the play in game. We’re not making a playoff run with this roster.

You’re not really trading rozier for a player that’s immediately better. You’re not trading Terry for a player to improve-you’re trading Terry to shed his contract. Those are very different things. Same applies to Hayward

To echo what @powellrmp said, it’s not about replacing Terry’s points or offensive production, it’s about resetting the salary of the team and bringing in pieces that fit around LaMelo.

I don’t think any of us think a big 3, from a salary perspective, of Terry, Miles & Hayward is where we want to be.

So most who advocate moving on from Terry aren’t doing so because they think he’s a bad player, because he clearly isn’t, it’s just that he’s a bad fit between Miles and LaMelo.

We need a 3&D SG next to LaMelo who can guard the opponent’s best Guard and space the floor. That’s the mould. If we have to take one step back, in order to take two steps forward to bring in such a player, that’s fine with me.

3 Likes

It’s not about the player it’s about the money. Secondary to the fact that if Terry crozier is your second best player you aren’t a second round playoff team.

Okay I see. No fairly tale dreams about a 20 point scorer instantly replacing Terry. We disagree on the timeline. In fact, I think you disagree with the Front Office’s timeline.

Couple of years ago Founding Hornet told us that MJ was sick of losing and contemplating selling. A few months later MJ sells part of the team. From that point on his word became GOLD because obliviously he had inside information that no one (not Woj, Shams or ANYBODY else) had about the team.

With that in mind, if we know that MJ wants to win NOW, then the team’s approach is clear. Melo, Terry and Miles = win NOW! Fix the PF, C and bench issue and we have a play-off run team. (I see Miles more as a SF.) The team is being rational by trying to fix 2 or 3 issues instead of starting over and shipping Terry off.

The front office approach was written in Terry’s multi year contract 11 months ago but you guys are rejecting it. The thing is that if the boss want to proved to everybody that he can use his brain/strategy to win (instead of his body) then we go with what he wants. He’s the king. Plain and simple - we are in “win now” mode. “Build for the future” mode means that he sells the rest of the team and nobody - NOBODY - has a reason to sign w the Hornets other than to take our money in a bloated contract - Hayward style.

Yes I would like to be in a better salary cap position but that doesn’t mean that I wanted busted up players from Indiana or worse a block head from the Lakers. Mitch and MJ put us in this terrible spot by signing Gordo for one year too long but they got the Terry signing right. In addition to teaching toughness, Terry is a win now and transition piece.

Saying that we need a bad @ss 3&D SG is also an admission that Bouknight is on the bullet train to bust city. We can use the draft to solidify our bench and if we get lucky find a future center. Then we are closer than ever!

1 Like