Preseason Game 1 vs Boston

Bad players, poorly coached. That’s all I saw watching the Hornets this afternoon. This is not promising.

Banged my knee on the coffee table getting up. Boss wants me to stay home tomorrow.

This can’t be an excuse, but I’m very curious how Miles’ situation is impacting the team. That has to feel like a guy died.

This team is terrible regardless of miles is there. They were terrible last year. They are terrible this year.

I dunno. This game felt like a continuation of the play-in game. Miles played in that.

The Celtics are a veteran team used to playing together. They’re first preseason game came off like a mid-season game because it was against - as the Celtics announcers noticed - a bunch of guys playing like an AAU Team.

Hornets first preseason game after 5 practices for a new coach. So there was little to no offensive structure. But it’s not like these guys haven’t played together for a while now or ever played organized basketball before. Well, most of them anyway.

Overall, other than LaMelo, they’re just not very good. Plus this has been a soft-minded group that gives up under duress.

Iso ball dominant with too many drives into the paint by guys who are either too small (Rozier), too lightweight (Bouk, Ball, McD, Oubre), too unskilled (Plumlee, Williams, Richards) or too lazy to care (PJ). Can’t get to the rim? Just chuck it.

…and our starting Center shoots free throws with his off-hand because he’s a grown man who couldn’t shoot a free throw to save his life.

It’s hilarious.

I know it’s the first pre-season game, but I’m afraid this is the case. Poor shooting, and giving up three’s at a record pace. On a positive note, they did seem to take open layups instead of kicking it out for a brick three. So there’s that.

Melo looked like he was trying to do it by his self. Kai got little time at center but looked the best of the four. Bouknight looked like a AAU player shooting 11% PJ not much better at all. LOOK at that box it suks bad . Kai is the only one who showed he needs a better look.

Listen, you gotta understand we were shorthanded. If we had Gordon and Cody, we would’ve kept it within at least 30. Maybe even 25!

4 Likes

Going to try to not overreact to a preseason game but that was ugly

1 Like

I just want to see us pass the ball around. It’s like we give it to a guy and they just stumbled their way into a shot.

1 Like

I was happy that we drafted Kai Jones and hopeful he would develop. After this past summer league I pretty much gave up that he was just another raw project piece too goofy to ever count on.

But hell at the 5 he’s no worse than the stiffs we have in front of him. At least he’s athletic and protects the paint.

I’m for letting him play in the big leagues (a lot) this year, but realize it won’t happen.

2 Likes

This is Coach Keetch’s preseason game one reactionary starting 5:

Ball
Martin
Hayward
Washington
Jones

Screw it. PJ is in preseason boot camp for me. Prove it or McD starts.

I’m trading Rozier. We’re done.

1 Like

Exactly! The best part of the 22-23 season might just be the end of the season. We’ve been building a clunker all summer. It’s going to be bad. Best to accept that now.

What is with the Cliff attacks? He’s been dealt a tough hand.

Like as bad as it is… we should just give Kai a go! I’m tired of seeing Mason already

2 Likes

That box score along says we need to see more of Kai . At least in the preseason.
I might try to trade PJ now for a nice player .Say add in Richards and Thor depending what comes back. Melo showed tonight Batman needs a robbin.

1 Like

Agree with others, everything we witnessed just strengthens the need to rebuild.

Our vets aren’t good enough to get to, let alone make any noise in, the playoffs … so why persevere with them? Strip it down, get a good pick in a very strong draft and have a shot at being good before LaMelo gives up and demands a trade.

Mitch fire coach again, can’t be roster you built.
Not completely fair, Mitch rotation expected put to together had healthy Gordon & not felon Miles. But Didn’t do anything to upgrade rest which desperately needs.

There is no depth again. Quality depth coach & fans screaming for happened end of last year and made a difference.
Despite this game, perhaps Mitch’s Kids
Will learn how to play.

1 Like

With LaMelo, Miles could play with an edge that this team may severely miss.

These guys badly need coaching. Maybe that’s Clifford, but it’s way too early to tell. It definitely wasn’t JB by the end of last season. Maybe it’s weak assistants.

I think a small number of these players aren’t good enough for any coach. That may well include Kai. Time will tell.

The rest of the guys? I don’t know if they’re outgunned, uncoachable, aloof of what. Defense is effort first and that slips when you’re not having any fun. Having guys rain three’s on you can’t be fun. Small margins get big fast in the NBA, and not just to the Hornets. Lots of teams lose lots of blowout games.

Lets just hope Duren looks like crap.

2 Likes

Just listened to Locked on Hornets pre-game podcast. Walker mentioned that there’s been little to no coaching so far. It’s been more about player evaluations. So there’s that. It showed.

Burn baby, burn. I nominate myself as the tank commander.

As the tank commander, I’m looking for honorable people to fill out my cabinet of fellow pro tank comrades. Who here possesses the courage to join the movement?

1 Like