Swarm vs Atlanta Hawks

I’ll reserve judgment but I have a hard time reading it any other way. We’ll see

Great win! Like what Martin is becoming. Several mentions above about Bouknight’s defense, or lack there of. I thought he looked ok on defense, but kinda lost on offense. The quality of depth on the wing will certainly make him earn his minutes, no arguing that.

I’d be hesitant to trade Oubre. We have him for another season after this one on a relatively team friendly deal at 12.5m per.

If anything, this may be the first time I’ve ever seen this team have a competent bench. Usually, when the bench comes in, we get behind or lose leads. We’ve never had the depth of talent to handle injuries. Oubre has been integral to our wins from a scoring and defending standpoint.

Our success this season is largely due to having depth that we’ve never had.

3 Likes

I don’t disagree.

Oubre has been very good indeed (not as good on D as I was expecting but certainly better on O) and having him and Cody as our bench wings is definitely contributing heavily to our success. Not to mention his value as insurance against an inevitable GH injury.

While I wouldn’t be in a rush to trade him and the offer would need to be a good one, I just don’t think that he’ll ever have better value than at the deadline. The second year of his contract, matched to his good play and versatility makes me think a contender will offer a good package for him. I’m also thinking timeline wise, where I expect Bouknight to be ready for bench minutes by deadline time and McDaniels can also pick up some of Ubre’s minutes.

So I would trade Kelly at the deadline but only for the right package, with the hope being a starting calibre #5 would be on the incoming side of the deal.

Now, if we were to enter dreamland and can trade GH for that starting #5 with Oubre wanting to stay beyond his contract at a fair $ amount as our starting SF … now we’re really talking! Ball, Terry, Oubre, Miles, #5; PJ, Martin, Bouknight & McDaniels as a nine man rotation post deadline gets me very excited.

1 Like

If we can use Oubre to upgrade at 5, it has to be done. Oubre has been really excellent for us, and seems like he may finally be in a situation where he is comfortable with his role, which has lead to a rise in production.

He has even recently mentioned wanting to be here long-term. It is tough to ignore that.

But our need for a serviceable 5 is so glaring that all options need to be considered.

I followed the Lakers religiously under Kupchak. When they needed help, he did whatever he could to get that help via trade. (see Pau Gasol). However, he also swung and missed quite often.

I wouldn’t be surprised if we see a win-now move at the price of giving up one of our young guys over the next 2 months.

Maybe now that we are a media darling now they can help to swing a guy our way? Haha. Would have loved to have the chance to sign DMC.

I completely understand the need to upgrade the center position but have to veto any trade involving Oubre. Hornets fan since the age of 7 and can not remember a time when the Hornets have fielded a team with competent starting wings and backup wings that could start on other teams. I trust in Mitch to get it done without sacrificing our wing depth.

1 Like

same. it’s the emotional fan in me that says “holy shit for the first time we have a competent bench that doesn’t guarantee a loss when they’re in the game”, which makes me vehemently reject the idea of trading oubre.

but it is the perpetually disappointed hornets fan in me that says, “oubre is on a hot streak and no way this continues. look at trading him to avoid the disappointment”.

2 Likes

Excellent response. Mitch has to earn his money now.

The fact that the team has done this well given the most road games in the NBA and difficulty of the schedule so far, I doubt he will rock the boat this year honestly. Unless they really get hot and are rolling at the All-Star break. Then he may “go for it”, but I think status-quo or a minor pickup on one of those veteran release deals is what we can expect.

3 Likes

Oubre said this is the first time he’s got to play with freedom . Ever body plays together for the other person. . I really don’t think this is just a hot streak it’s about playing loose .

JB is a hell of a coach . He takes players to the next level . Miles, game plays off others witch is rare now days . His shot attempts depend on team needs. At a high level. Martin on a lot of teams could start but not showing his best assets . Defense and energy. JB has brought that out . McDaniel’s has come a long way and is now a decent rotation player .JB puts players in the best place to give them a chance to get the most out of their game. He watches Haywards game close . I can see how Gordo has a much better play in the first half . And he seams a little slow footed in the 2nd half. Jb gives him longer rest in the 3rd and 4th. He’s even cutting down Melos bad shot selection. JB might be this teams all star.

1 Like

I think JB understands that Hayward’s impact extends beyond the box score as well.

2 Likes

What an awseome win! The effort and play those core 6 guys did was special and great. Wonderfully basking in moment against against those I85 big city @#$%&^*.

Heavy minutes, especially for Hayward on back to back.
Too many of these developing babes hurting roster…sucks these young kids aren’t ready and wont be pretty but going to need to throw out those babies on court more anyhow. Should not break Memphis 73 point record against OKC g-leagueish roster last week with our veteran mix we can play. But going need to bite bullet for a long season IMO, or this core is going to be hurt and burnt out when others get back.

2 Likes

With this season not being the “go for it” season, I’m surprised we’re not seeing more of the younger players so far. I’d say that next year and onward is the higher expectations year…which is why I’d assume we want to develop the younger guys like you mentioned. I agree with you eschelmon. I don’t think anyone on this forum is super attached to the idea of this year being a big season, other than continued growth.

BUT, maybe the front office and coach JB see this season different than we do as fans. Maybe they are expecting a push for a 4/5 seed from this roster. I still think we’re a big man and one season away from that-but right on.

On one hand, I agree that the young fellas aren’t ready for NBA minutes, but on the otherhand…experience leads to growth and readiness.