WIZZARDS at HORNETS tonight

Tank mode activated! Donā€™t bring Melo back until he is 100%. Trade vets for best return you can get.

Who do you propose we trade and for what . Who has value ? Terry equal value ? Hayward necktive value . Might be able to trade Washington. Jones , Williams, Richards, Thor, McDaniels all might have small positive value. Ball is about the only real value hear.

Looked it up grade2 sprain is 3 to six weeks out.

Activate Point Mason

1 Like

Terry + Gordon for Westbrook + Picks.

1 Like

Iā€™ve always been against the Westbrook to CLT rumors. But I could go for this. Hornets are a play-in team at best this year after the Bridges mess. Being a play-in team year after year is purgatory. This clears salary after 23, gets another 1st round pick in a supposed loaded draft. Moving expiring contracts of Oubre and Plumlee should bring at least 2nd round picks that MK loves. 3 firsts in 23, ton of salary space should allow for good young talent to come in. This team is not going anywhere as constructed.

I swear weā€™re better if PJ and Oubre donā€™t play. At least the remaining guys mostly play hard.

I have all ways been against that trade . But I might consider it now. LA fans are sure they will get the number 1 pick . So they might not do it now.

The reality, which everyone is having played out before them, is weā€™re barely a play-in team with Terry, GH et al. The question, therefore, is why keep them on this team when doing so will 1. rob our young players of playing time and 2. ensure worse odds of a potentially franchise changing lottery pick? Itā€™s simply illogical.

Iā€™ve said it many times before, and Iā€™ll keep saying it ā€¦ reset! Get rid of our big salaries, if at all possible, and play our young guys. Letā€™s see what weā€™ve got on the roster. Iā€™d MUCH rather watch a rotation of Ball, Cody, McDaniels, PJ, Williams; Bouknight, Thor, McGowens, Kai & a PG win 25 games than watch a vet laden team win 30.

Iā€™d even swallow @meloFanā€™s Westbrook trade to do it.

4 Likes

Itā€™s my understanding that the Pelicans have pick swap option with the Lakers for '23. So, Lakers wonā€™t keep that 1st pick if they get it. I assume that for the trade above, should the Pelicans choose to swap, CLT would get the Pelicans pick that would be going to the LA. Which should still be a decent pick.

I would speculate that Pelicans would finish under Lakers anyways. AD + Lebron + Hayward + Terry is pretty decent. In any case that pick would be late 1st round, which gives more power to move up in the draft.

1 Like

The angle isnā€™t so much the pick if you are trading with the Lakers. If this draft is what people think it is, nobody is moving out of the top 5 or 6. Even if the trade is #8 + #17. Itā€™s one of those NBA truths that two half dollars does not equal a dollar bill

The angle is 1. Shedding enough talent to tank 2. Shedding salary to make a better team next year in which you can offer melo a hope in the future

3 Likes

Sums it up accurately and eloquently.

I think everyone is on the same page, the reality of the team is blindingly obvious. The roster was set on mediocre at its peak. Take away the leading scorer, add another year to an injury prone vet, not alter the roster to address the glaring weaknesses from last year, completely flub a coaching hire, its not great Bob.

So the pivot, you canā€™t really just hire a patsy and be considered a serious franchise (not that we arenā€™t, just that we can still pretend with a thin facade of seriousness). Borregoā€™s team culture wasnā€™t meshing with our youth too well, but a young ā€œplayer friendlyā€ coach may get ran over and set in bad habits for our star. Cliff is probably perfect for the role in establishing a professionalism with the young guys (especially with the Marvin Williams hire), while also knowing Cliff will never win ā€œtoo muchā€ if he has a limited roster.

This is the most obvious case of a bridge year Iā€™ve ever seen. Almost like the basketball gods are purposefully trying to finally give us one and sabotage the team so that the front office canā€™t screw it all up with half measures to get on a playoff run. We are legit hamstrung by fate, and Iā€™m for it.

If Dennis Smith and Bouknight have to lead the backcourt for our team of happy little accidents, then letā€™s just accept the ping pong balls raining on our head. Sometimes you just have to read the signs the universe gives, and it is giving as big a sign to suck as weā€™ve ever had. Donā€™t fight it.

7 Likes