2020 Draft - 3rd Pick

Saw that the draft is being pushed back again (Nov. 18) along with pushing back the proposed start for next season.

harsh… but fair.

We’ll take it

You weren’t alone, I recall reading an article a few years later that said that he was dropping to the 11th pick if he wasn’t picked #1 by the Cavs. To me, that’s one of those situations where you have to wonder how much being “#1” hurt him on top of the environment into which he was drafted. E.g. you underrate him vs. overrate him, there’s far fewer expectations.

Yeah, I think you’re right. Those expectations have to be huge. Hard to live up to I’m sure.

I’m not telling you anything I don’t tell myself.

I’m a treasure trove of cynical life lessons.

My current hope and insanely unpopular or unreasonable take is that we can pick Ball if available, and if Hayes is on the board at pick 8, offer LiMelo for the Knicks’ picking Hayes with their unprotected 1st next year. We can offset with a future 2nd (think they already have next year’s so not that one).

This is borne of the NYK apparently frothing at the mouth for Ball and my sense that even if he is a long term boom, he won’t hit next year and we likely can’t outrace them to terrible. Add to that the recent trend of bad decisions and large appetites, I can squint enough to see this happening if they feel Ball is franchise saving. Additionally, the more i hear about Hayes, the more i think he’s the long term haul in this draft. I’m also of the opinion that top 3 in this year’s draft are back of the lottery in 2021 so the value is there.

Ok, throw rotten fruits and veggies this way.

I disagree that the top 3 players in this draft are that bad…

I would, however, take the deal for Hayes/ Okongwu and NY unprotected first next year.

I’d take that deal and be happy about it.

I’d be equally happy with Advija or Wiseman.

I’d be happier still if it was for either Okongwu or Vassell.

To be honest, I’d still consider the deal if the 8th pick was Okoro or Williams.

That’s a long-winded way of saying there are certainly 7, if not 8 or 9 players I’d happily pick at 8 but be hesitant to do so at 3. Throw in an unprotected first in a stronger draft and I’m in.

Knicks 2021 unportected first… to move up a few spot in a weak draft???

Next draft will be better than this one and the knicks don’t have any free agent target to pursue this summer, which means next year Knicks draft pick is basically a high lottery pick

Such a deal would be a huge steal for us, no way the knicks do that. For Ball ?

Man, these highlights got me excited about Hayes. I know people say he too reliant on his left hand on drives, but I think that can easily be fixed. It’s not like he’s a terrible ball handler who can’t dribble at all with his right. Just look at that touch on tough finishes around the basket (including tear drops and one-handed shots off the glass). He’s actually pretty athletic, as well.

SuperK, give this pod a listen - there’s a 2-part on Killian that’s extremely interesting (epis #44, #45)

1 Like

Bleacher report said today they expect Ball to be the number one pick if the T-Wolves don’t trade

Obviously, I personally dig this.

Not to create a narrative but questioning, we are a guard heavy team by all accounts presently, no? Not that they’ll all be here but curious of the statement.

Heard an interesting tidbit in a pod I was listening to over the weekend. It was an anonymous exec in the lottery that said he prayed Ball was gone by the time they picked so he didn’t have to. WTF is that? Kind of wonder if that’s a bit of reverse psychology but thought it was odd. I get it but still think he’s an easy pick from a ticket sale perspective even if you don’t believe in his game.

Edwards, Wiseman and Toppin out of the combine seems suspect to me. I can squint and make sense that one of them is promised to go #1 but as CLE doesn’t have the first pick, that rules out Toppin. I could see Edwards getting the rose from MIN. I can’t fathom James and Obi are out for the same reasons, especially the former where the main complaint is not enough tape on him. Obi I get, there’s a mountain of film on him.

I know some folks like Wiseman here at 3 but to me, this is concerning.

According to Deni he is what we need to be a winning team

How we feelin’ about Anthony Edwards fam?

I think his peak could be what Victor Oladipo was before he was injured but I also think there’s a good chance he could be incredibly inefficient, and black hole on offense and not

1 Like

My list is

[top tier]
Hayes
Ball

[second tier]
Okoro
Edwards

[please don’t tier]
Toppin
Wiseman

If it’s me and the notion is that Hayes won’t go in the top 7 and I can get NYK to bite with a 2021 FRP, I am all about that trade down. But that’s just me and my nonnormative top-three thinking.

What Warriors general manager Bob Myers does with that pick – whether it’s flipping it, trading down or using it – has been the topic of conversation for months. He’s come out and said the team will “consider” trading the pick, but he’s not committed to anything. But if the organization stands pat, it’s looking increasingly likely that, if James Wiseman is available, they’ll be passing. Here’s what The San Francisco Chronicle 's Connor Letourneau reported on that front this week:

“Everyone I’ve talked to in the organization doesn’t feel comfortable spending the kind of money associated with an early lottery pick on a center when Golden State prefers to play a position-less, up-tempo style. Odds are that the Warriors will round out their center rotation in free agency.”

Why is everyone so down on Wiseman? If the playoffs proved anything, you HAVE to have size/length at the 5. 7 foot 1 with 7’6" wingspan and a good touch? How would that not be good for us? I mean I have to be honest as a fan of this team we really can’t be picky. Seems to me that whoever of the top 3 consensus is 3rd we pick. I woould be happy with any of them.

2 Likes

Bro

You hate Wiseman because:

A) you know something…

B) you know nada & that’s what worries you

C) you are trying to be an NBA sophisticant who follows the trending girl talk that Wiseman sucks

Help us out brother…

Thanks