2020 Draft - 3rd Pick

I have serious issues with us drafting any one-position player in the lottery and I think he’s an archetype of a different era.

I would agree with you on consensus, we should be drafting whomever is consensus top 3 and in that light, it seems to largely be Ball/Edwards/Hayes.

1 Like

Not just a 1 position player but a remold of tyson chandler.

The biggest problem with this draft is he could also be the best player at #3.

Chandler never had his range…

Wasn’t Tyson a career 50% FT shooter to boot?

It wasn’t who I had in mind immediately but interesting comparison. I have felt he’s more a Whiteside comparison but Chef’s mention makes me realize the unknowns are pretty equivalent which makes for a good side by side of the two. I am not of the opinion you can make anything of the three college games at Memphis.

And then there is this, which gives me anxiety

Obi Toppin getting pub

Terrible idea. Not saying he isn’t or shouldn’t be the pick, but that line of thinking usually turns out very badly.

The idea that a terrible defender can be hidden at center is pretty suspect.

1 Like

Are there any comparisons to be made between Wiseman and Adebayo? I’m sure it’s wishful thinking, but he looks like he has the athleticism and touch to be that kind of player.

And @FoundingHornet, I’m B, but with unjustifiable optimism for anyone that wants to sell it to me.

1 Like

The consensus is Wiseman over Hayes, we don’t have a consensus about the consensus

For me, it’s that I see no reason yet to believe Wiseman will be an especially good player but several red flags. Admittedly, I don’t have much information on him to really properly assess his potential but those red flags are concerning.

I’m thinking along the same lines (although I’m more open to Wiseman). Plus I like that Hayes has already shown he can make improvements from year-to-year. It means he’s already on a solid upward trajectory at only 19.

In this draft with below average talent, i like wiseman’s fit with the roster.

I know you draft for talent, but the talent isn’t obvious this year. So i’ll be fine with Wiseman and Cody at the C this year. AT least, we could showcase his skills

I’m not high on Ball, and unless we trade Devonte or Rozier, fit is ugly. The boy is clear he wants to have the ball day one. Really not good to me.

Edwards is a good combinaison of fit and talent for this year, but i doubt he falls

I’m not completely down on Wiseman, I’m just concerned. I trust Kupchak and his staff if they pick him. If I had more game tape on him I could evaluate his game a lot better.

DNB, I have heard no comparisons between Bam and Wiseman. The misplaced comparison I hear is between Okongwu and Bam and those in the know point out the flaws of that concept. It lies in the comparative AAU play. Bam, while he featured no such set of offensive passing and floor skills in college, he had a body of work here in AAU ball. Okongwu however has no such historical value prop in that space. His literal comparison is that to what was expected of Bam out of college and only that if that makes sense.

Disagree with you BP on the consensus. There’s a big gap between what I hear across the non-bro deep dive draft analysis folks and they don’t have Wiseman in their top two tiers. Hayes is most often in their top tier and in some, he’s the higher weighted there making him the would-be #1. And that’s largely based on his limited downside, growth track, and huge potential. That’s a 3-some that noone else equals even if Ball and Edwards have a cache that has significant merrit of its own.

On fit, I am unclear why that should have any bearing on our draft selection this year. We’re just not good enough at any possition outside of possilby reserving a preference for PJ at PF. Despite that, I’d strongly argue that Ball and Hayes would be an incredible fit alongside Devonte if you are of the opinion he’s part of this team’s core. I am fairly sure that the best productivity we got out of Graham last year was with another PG on the floor for him to play off.

SuperK, I am with you on the lack of game tape concern and assume that’s where we are seeing Hayes in a similarly to each other (think we’re the only Hayes fans on here). He’s the strong opposite of Wiseman regarding tape and measurable growth.

Ziggy’s consensus and source is “At the Hive” LOL

Zig, you know your stuff but your just off here… Killian over Wiseman for this team could be a Morrison type mistake…

Don’t have At The Hive on my reading or podcast list FH. I go well outside the Hornets sphere for info. It’s truly the only reason I trust it.

On At The Hive, happy to hear they see it similarly though.

I do think there’s a fun correlation between the number of draft folks that hold Wiseman at mid lottery value but have us picking him. I however don’t think that’s a reason for us to pick him.

They still have PTSD from our Cho years

That’s what I said : we dont have a consensus about the consensus :joy:

Being BP from France, I follow Hayes closely :face_with_monocle:. I don’t know where you get insiders info, I’m just looking at mock drafts from major sport sites and I have never see Hayes higher than 4 and most of the time he is in the top 10.

What I see, 90% is Ball-Wiseman-Edwards in the top3

But believe me I would appreciate if he goes top 3 ! :clipperton_island:

Ah! Yessir, I didn’t catch the inception bit there :grinning:

I have logged an embarrassing amount of hours of podcasts that are draft centric or draft adjacent since late summer. I am not pulling from “insider” information. But I am looking at player rankings vs. where people think players will be picked. There was an interesting bit I posted a few months back that showed the discrepancy of player rankings vs pick projections. The player rankings always have Hayes in the top three to four and several have him #1 overall or in a 1a vs 1b with Ball.

As for my want for Hayes, I was slow to warm to him. I wanted Ball or Edwards because, guestures wildly at “major sports sites” but the flaws he has are easily correctable (his shooting form) or crazy counter indicators (that he has been able to do all the things while leaving his right hand in his pocket) and what he could bring alongside a Graham and PJ just seems off the charts fun.

And… having said all that, if the major sports sites are right about pick projections and ranking be damned, we’re very much likely to not have a Hayes on our team in lieu of one from that other vaunted three of Wiseman, Ball, Edwards.

Well, I am pulling from insider info and unless we trade back, Killian ain’t on the list

What they do or don’t do doesn’t change whom I think is the best choice. If they can trade back and get Killian, I am all the more interested. It’s been my hope we do so for some time now.