Draft Prospects 2021

We could pick first and they’d have a commercial break so they wouldn’t have to talk about us. Haha

1 Like

So, Kai Jones?

Dig what we did with the draft.

• Potential elite scorer
  • Athletic big man with big upside
  • Rolling the dice on an interesting pick in JT Thor
  • Didn’t give up much unless we bomb in the next few seasons have to give away a first.
  • Some solid veteran experience in Miles.

Lots of great youth, and didn’t give up any significant assets, save the potential 1st rounder to the Knicks.

I’m very curious now who’s in and out on the roster.

The big question for me is devonte now. Bouknight is an easy monk replacement. But there is a clear and obvious need for a back up guard. Wannamaker is a good 3rd backup point in lieu of not drafting one.

Just looking at the roster, it is still relatively directionless in the immediate short term. It isn’t committed to youth or win now (which is actually a good thing). I am very pleased they didn’t try to assemble a capped out 4 seed of vets and melo. But it does leave some intrigue heading into free agency. I wonder what they are going to do with devonte. Terry rozier, imo, is the biggest question and moving piece and I wonder if given the Knicks trade they aren’t going to be picking up a future 1st via trade.

The other thing is with teams like OKC having so many picks, if the hornets aren’t thinking that 1sts like they gave up aren’t easily replaced in the next couple years.

Looks like we have 15 on our roster now not including Devonte or Monk. That includes all 4 draft picks and Plumlee.

According to Hoopshype, both Martins and McDaniel have guarantee deadlines in August. McD on 8/1, Martins on 8/15. Can’t imagine we don’t keep them.

We need a backup PG.

Plumlees contract has 2 years left at 8+ million each year. Not bad.

Maybe we 2 way Lewis.

1 Like

Our solution is Lonzo Ball in my opinion.

1 Like

He won’t want to sign in Charlotte and not start. Bros want to play together until one is clearly the lesser to the other. Unless you want to trade terry…

I think you may be underestimating the Lamelo situation. They all want to play together badly.

Hope we go after him. I feel like he fills a huge need for us

Don’t think we should go after Lonzo honestly our rotation seems pretty set

LaMelo/Devonte
Rozier/Bouknight/Cody Martin
Gordon/Miles/McDaniels
PJ/Miles
Plumlee/???

Was thinking same. I bet they move Caleb. No need for both Martins. Also, that they passed on Cooper/Butler at 37 makes me think they intend to match Graham.

Guys, Graham isn’t going to be signed for fiddlesticks. It’ll take money.

And I believe that Lonzo would actually be the perfect answer…but he ain’t gonna want to come off the bench. UNLESS. He would sign a ONE year deal to be the 6th man off the bench or act as the third guard in small lineups. Also, this would give the Hornets flexibility to flip Rozier at the deadline for picks. This would allow Lonzo to slot right into the starting lineup.

If I’m the Hornets. I’m making a HELL of a sales pitch to Lonzo to buy into that. At the surface that doesn’t seem like it would work, but once you think about it…I could actually see that working.

I wouldn’t hate it, but would be surprised. I like Terry better.

29 b4 yesterday

Plum 8 mill
#11& #19 7 mill

9 + devonte 4.7 hold
Around 14 for veteran guard? Previous contracts in the patty mills range
rozier traded,$ and start spot for lonzo, with some money for backup guard

Young roster. Feel 2 more non rookie contracts to bring adults to locker room. Bazemore, wannamaker, not biz big?

Competive and crowded 11+ and TW
Thor, Lewis, liangelo, twins,Jalen Carey richards riller darling (ha)…+ 2 minimum vets added above we at 20 players

This has disaster written all over it. A) he won’t be happy 2) his father and he will immediately be talking and jockeying for his next contract and C) if he becomes discontent heor feels disrespected by the front office or coaching staff it could affect lamelos relationship with Charlotte

1 Like

I don’t think so. That’s kind of how I felt about Lamelo coming to Charlotte last year and was very much disproven. Which is what gives me hope that this would work. I’m probably riding out a post draft high/euphoria of actually having two good drafts in a row

I’m usually with you, but I’ll really have to disagree with your take. A little hyperbolic IMO. I haven’t heard his father in the media or much at all for quite a while. Which is crazy because the media loves talking about him. His dad wants his kids to play on the same team, and I get the feeling thats a goal of there’s too. That’s part of the reason I was a little worried about Lamelo last year and that has not been the case at all.

I hear what you’re saying, but with Lamelo working out so well, their dad toning it down over the last year, and the fact they all want to play together tells me it could actually work. And the last thing, is that the 6th man role is not what it used to be. People dig that role. Look at how many people love what Clarkson’s role is in Utah. Even D Wade talked about how having that kind of role could have extended his career.

Whether or not we like it or not, Rozier has earned a big contract after this year. I don’t think that’ll be with Charlotte, or should be). And if we can get a young player and first rounder in exchange, well then great. And I still think it’s slim changes that Lonzo would agree to that, but after thinking more about it-I don’t think its too crazy of a theory and actually could happen.

It is a risk not worth taking for all the reasons concerning LaMelo you stated. He is happy in Charlotte. He is working super hard in Charlotte. He hasn’t mentioned anything about his brother.

It seems like alot of risk for marginal reward.

Look for Terry being traded. for . Or signing Ball outright. Tons of teams last night called about terry. Watch for Mo Bamba, Turner etc , tier 1 big for Terry.

Gotta get that pick back too.

1 Like

This. I agree. Let’s see what happens. I kind of doubt he gets moved right now, but you never know

I am not talking about for retaining him, I am talking about the further development of both of them. They have such chemistry that it would be hard to imagine that duo not being killers on the court together.