Draft Prospects 2021

If the issues he had were more anxiety related than immaturity and petulance, which is what I’m hearing, then he could be a steal at 11. He certainly has an abundance of talent.

I’d also back JB & our core to embrace, support and hold him accountable.

Very intrigued.

Jalen Johnson had the largest hands at the combine by quite a bit supposedly. Big hands are a big deal in basketball.

Also, he looked incredible right out of the gate at Duke. I think he is really good value at 11

If we exclude the consensus top six players, it makes sense to have a personal top 5 list as at least one of them will be there at 11. I’ll kick off with:

1. Moody (safe 3&D pick, can play/guard either wing due to excellent length)
  2. Keon (Higher ceiling but lower floor than Moody, with less length.)
  3. Wagner (safe, multiskilled, fundamentally sound forward who can defend & facilitate very well)
  4. Bouknight (true scorer who can create his own shot)
  5. Ziaire (Can defend, pass and shoot. Most complete skillset of my 5. Stanford more affected by COVID than most programs, does that excuse lack of production?)

Seems about right to me at the moment but I can see Jalen Johnson working his way in there if his personality checks out. I don’t, however, see Davion, Kispert or Sengun cracking my top 5.

Curious to see what others think …

My biggest concern is Keon Johnson. Watched a good amount on Tennessee games this year, and he didn’t stand out. Not a good shooter. For me, he has the lowest floor and I wouldn’t pick him. Of course, he’ll be All-NBA in a few years.

i don’t know, he doesn’t look bad. lots of stuff in this highlight reel to like. of course, this is the first time i have heard his name much less watched him, so there’s that.

I’ve been watching videos by this guy. Covers strengths and weaknesses, and makes a comparison to other players. Keon has physical tools, his effort was never a question, seems like a good teammate, and never heard anything about off the court issues. Just afraid his shooting will limit him offensively in today’s game.

By the way, not trying to argue, just wanted to share in case someone is not aware of these vids.

1 Like

I guess I’m the only one on here likes Kai Jones haha. If not then Sengun or Moody.

Then again, I didn’t watch much bball outside the NBA. Just riffing.

Re: Keon … we’ve already drafted MKG. Great teammate. Played hard. Couldn’t shoot. I don’t want to do that again as much as I liked him early on.

Agree that he’s not a good shooter but he’s also not bad. His form isn’t broken/non-existent like MKG. That’s why I commented about his floor being lower as there’s absolutely no guarantee he’ll develop a good outside shot. I still like his hustle, D, athleticism and ability to get to the rim.

1 Like

this sentence gives me ptsd

1 Like

I’m with you, Keetch. I like Kai and Sengun as bigs. Liking Moody and Bouknight as SG’s too. I’m afraid we don’t have space for Wagner the way we are put together now. How do people feel about Kispert? Great shooter, but is he too limited athletically?

I thiiiink I have settled on Keon as my favorite target for the #11 pick. I understand we are all skeptical of another pick of a wing/guard that can’t shoot, but every player that’s going to be in our range has some warts. The shot isn’t totally broken and I definitely think there is a chance he can end up being a league average shooter or better.

I think Keon has the highest ceiling of any player in our range. His athleticism is other worldly. This may also be irrelevant to some, but I truly think our team is lacking toughness. Keon has that bulldog mentality that will immediately help us defensively. I think I am most concerned that we draft someone that should be a solid defender. It’s why I also like players like Springer, WAGNER, Moody, and I’m not even near as sour on Davion Mitchell as some are. This is why I’m also not as high on guys like Sengun, I don’t see any path that dude has to becoming a solid defender.

1 Like

I thought Kispert was limited athletically but he had a great combine. His measurements aren’t great, but his athleticism tested better than expected.

Still do not want haha

Agree wholeheartedly. We could certainty do with adding a wing who’s tenacious on D.

I think Kispert is an ok athlete, he simply knows who he is and plays to his strengths. He’d be a great fit as a high level outside shooter and intelligent team defender. He’ll be a solid rotational player for a decade in this league, so I can certainly why we might draft him, I’d just like to go for a higher ceiling player with a lottery pick.

Zach Harper’s NBA Mock Draft 2.0: Jalen Green moves up, plus other top-10 shake-ups and trade deals to ponder – The Athletic

Interesting that Zach has us taking Bouknight at 11 while Jalen Johnson, Moses Moody, Franz Wagner, Corey Kispert and others brought up here are still on the board. I am not as convinced in Johnson and Kispert being on equal footing with the others but those are some big names to be able to select the right fit for us.

Still have Moody as my A1, and would be super happy with Bouknight who I’d have thought was a tick below.

Is MKG available? Also how’s his defense been since he’s been gone? (not draft related but related to wing with tenacious D)
mo6z6i-mo6z6dtenaciousd

I am enjoying reading all you guys takes as I have yet to solidify players to root for to draft. Any possibility we trade the pick for a vet/young promising player?

I cannot see a future where Mitch trades first round picks.

My priority wouldn’t be drafting someone to be a major contributor day 1. If they surprise us early then great. But at 11 that shouldn’t be an expectation. I’m more interested in finding someone that can blossom into a star over time and I’m less apt to play it safe.

From what little I’ve seen, I think my top 5 in our range would be

1. Boughknight
    (proven scorer, good size for 2 guard, aggressive mentality)

2. Jalen Johnson

3. Ziare Williams
    (Great size and length, good shooters, high pedigree HS players that were projected near the top of their class and high lottery picks outta HS. Extenuating circumstances and off court issues impacting their 1yr college performances which is likely the reason they are as low as they are but big upside and potential)

4. Moody
    (great shooter, great size, safer pick that could play role earlier. Perhaps lower ceiling but I can still see upside)

5. Kai Jones
    (High upside big, super athletic, seems like a good fit with Melo)

I’m also intrigued by Keon Johnson. Major theme for me is upside. Let’s develop someone that can be a cornerstone with Melo in a few years. The draft is our best opportunity to acquire a star so let’s not swing for role players right now.

2 Likes

the more i read about him the more i reeeallly like jaden springer at 11. Super young, already with great functional strength, terrific defender with real shooting and creation potential