Finally cutting the cord

Sort of

Moving from direct TV to Hulu live.

My question: is there an answer on if canes and hornets are moving networks or is bsso still carrying them in 23/24?

2nd question:
Can you watch condensed game replays free of each somewhere?

1 Like

1st question: https://www.si.com/nba/hornets/news/new-hornets-ownership-talks-future-with-bally-sports

2nd question, I sometimes watch full game highlights on YouTube.

Thanks. I will just have to wing it. For the life of me, I can’t figure out why the league just doesn’t broadcast everything itself. No local blackouts, offer all games to any network for national broadcasts. Keep everything else on say nba tv streaming and sell league pass or a per team basis. Seems like a no brainer.

2 Likes

Agree. I get team league pass. That’s a big deal for us since the Hawks and grizzlies are our local teams, even though the Hornets are much closer. Don’t know what those in the Charlotte area are to do. All blackouts in all sports need to go away. I don’t think it would hurt attendance and would probably help to attract more fans.

I’ll add that I hope the Hornets broadcast team stays in place. Best I have seen.

I stopped DirectTV Stream after the season and went back to Hulu because it’s about $40 a month less cost. $70 vs $110. Stream has Bally and Hulu doesn’t. I don’t know what I’ll do next season. Maybe watch highlights.

Cut the cord 12 years ago. Hard wired the place w Ethernet (over kill). Installed digital antennas (great for local channels and when the internet goes out.) Had SonyVue, Philo, HuluTV, Sling, YouTube TV, and final settle on Sling w out sports option as the cable replacement.

Last year was my first season with the cord cut. I used Youtube TV for “cable replacement” and bought NBA league pass without ads to watch the Hornets. I think it was around $130 but the extra to remove the ads was well worth it. It was frustrating at times with the quality of the signal and it resetting the “Hide Scores” indicator. I already use NordVPN so the VPN issue was not a problem. I ended up watching from a desktop PC that is in the same room as a big screen TV. It is not as convenient as recording on a DVR so you can watch whenever you want or watching shows that are recorded on Youtube TV, but it was worth it to ditch Cable. In a couple of months fiber will be run in my neighborhood so I will be able to completely ditch f’ng Sepctrum!!

Just got YouTube TV guessing my options for Hornets games will be zero?

I have YouTube TV and used NBA league pass as a separate, stand alone purchase. There are issues you have to consider if you live in the black out range though.

Switching back to Directv Stream tonight. See you later Hulu.

Check that. Just saw fine print that Directv Stream fees are going up $20 in November to $110 per month. Yikes.

I may hold off and try highlights. See how it goes.

I actually stayed with direct TV for now. Eventually I will go to Hulu live and not look back. I will miss sports but I will get over it

Unless miller is the next big thing. Then I may keep it

Fubo may be an option $89/mo ($75+$14 upcharge for RSN’s). Got to pay quarterly if you want NBATV or ESPNU.

1000 hours cloud dvr. Never used it. Gonna try the 7 day free trial.

Fubo lacks TBS, TNT and CNN. Jeez.

I’m pretty happy with YouTube TV. No RSNs, but I get everything else I want.

Looking at my options for this year… i had planned on signing up for League Pass again, but it is $149 without commercials. If I buy a season of Bally to get only the Hornets it is $124.99. So I’m considering that since I won’t have to worry about home/away issues…
For those of you who have used Bally+ what do you think? I’ll probably be using it via a Firestick or Xbox app when not on a mobile device.
Can you replay games ok? Can you start a game from the beginning without having to see the current score if they are currently playing?

Our Team Pass is $90. Works great on our phones and Roku 4k stick. My older Roku express wasn’t capable of running the NBA app.

FYI, I just added League pass on my YouTube TV account. $100 for the year, all out of market games, all teams, minus national TV games, can watch on 3 devices. I know that doesn’t help those that are in market, but if you’re not, I think it’s a good deal.

Thought that this was an interesting read: