The NBA Draft Lottery

Solid argument as always swedd.

No one wants to draft MCW or Dominic McGuire but please build as many strawmen as you need.

It was mentioned as a worst case scenario. You know this. Since you love Wiseman so much… I’m not a fan of drafting Sam Bowie “tall or not”. But continue arguing my worst case against your best case scenario if you need the win that bad.

Anyway …

I cant see what people see in Wiseman, he’s only played against south Carolina state and honestly was not that impressive. I see the upside in his frame, but not much else and against the only competition he’s played I feel like he should have been shaqin.

1 Like

It’s always nice to interact with my #1 Fan

1 Like

You replied to me within 2 hours of me posting for the first time in 6 months. It’s ok little buddy Daddy’s back, you can stop waiting by my chair.

Potato

Watch his other 2 games. Very small resume but the kid is a shooter. That’s what our scouts like him for when he was in HS.

And to say that no one would or could say that he is not as good as the USC center Okungwu is just false. You’re comment on the fact we don’t know much about him is more accurate.

Hayes is a good player but not a franchise player in my opinion.

Please no on Halliburton… not an all star caliber player. Good two way guy and maybe a starter. Just my two cents…

1 Like

What a treat lol

It’s like a trainwreck in human form.

A true priceless member of the community.

I deleted a comment that offended.

Sweed, sorry.

And we are back to normal here at Hornets Planet - The Remix! Lol

3 Likes

Were a disaster Mustachio, it appears the new org is doing quite well. Same Team colors, different people.

Would like everyone to enjoy the forum. I’m going to spend my energy assuming positive intent here. Would love everyone to do the same.

Trust me, I get the allure of Wiseman. He has a freakish frame, shows some athleticism and at a minimum gives us the rim protector we’ve been needing for years. But again - when is the last time a team went deep into the playoffs anchored by a big man? You could make a case Utah is the best example we have right now. Sixers have tried building around Embiid and they are looking like a train wreck.

I think if you spend the third overall pick on him you’re having to hope he develops as a shooter. You seem to think he can do that - if I can be convinced there’s something there I’ll be much more more on board. And I do want to reiterate, if the draft were tomorrow and we chose him at #3 I wouldn’t complain a bit and I would be fairly excited. Onyeka dominated at USC last year, his spin move is far more impressive than anything I’ve seen in Wiseman’s arsenal so far. He also has a lot of rim protecting ability.

I am simply pleading the case for other players. If we have the chance to draft either Edwards or Ball we should do that, but if both go 1 and 2 which I kind of expect then I don’t think Wiseman should be the shoe in #3 choice. There is a lot to like in guys like Hayes, Haliburton, and OO. You say Haliburton may not be an all star talent, I think you could apply that same label to almost anyone in this draft. I agree we should swing for the fences if we do think there is someone that could be developed into a star, but we also have to come to terms that that any of these guys we draft need work.

2 Likes

I read NY and the Bulls are both ready two give up bank To get Ball to NY , or Bulls. Bulls rumored to give up Levine and a first . NY rumored to give up three first . So i think Ball is gone be for the third pick. With Towns in Minnesota i don’t they go big. Just guessing we go big with Wiseman or trade the pick.

He’s interesting. I’ll be honest, I hadn’t heard of him before he was mentioned in this thread. If we can’t get Ball or Edwards, I wouldn’t be mad if we drafted this guy. Euroleague competition is considered superior to div 1 NCAA baskeball, right?

I firmly believe Okongwu is a better prospect than Wiseman. In all my years watching basketball, I’ve learned players never really totally change their skill set; they simply build upon or refine the skills they have. Wiseman isn’t going to suddenly gain Tim Duncan’s post game/footwork. If he hasn’t developed at least raw skills in the post by now, it’s highly unlikely to happen in the NBA where he has an average of 3 to 4 months (not including rest time) in-between seasons to improve his game. Okongwu, on the other hand, is already a skilled player who’s raw and can easily build upon his foundation. If Okongwu was Wiseman’s height, he’d be ranked higher. Now, we could be WRONG, and somehow Wiseman is much better than he’s shown (very possible). After all, he did only play a handful of games. Still, Wiseman is the riskiest pick of all, IMO.

1 Like

I can understand the risk. But his up side is off the chart. Founding is right like most of the time. Our front office seems to like the kid a lot.

Doug, the latest from Mitch:

We need to add talent to this team, no matter what position it is. If we have duplication, then great: We’ll figure it out.

To me, if we haven’t bitten on Andre Drummond, then I am not sure we’ve indicated we would be gushing for Wiseman. And I think Drummond is the worry I have if we pick him. If he ends up being more of a Chris Bosh, then I will be both very surprised and very happy to admit my blindspot. But if he ends up somewhere between Whiteside and Drummond, then I really do not want unless the NBA reverts back 10-15 years.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s hard not to look around at the league and see it dominated by lead guards who can make plays and shoot threes all over the place.

That’s one of the reasons I like Ball: he seems like he could be one of those guys. And apparently, he’s much more down to earth than the Ball circus might suggest.

That being said, if Wiseman can be an anchor for us on both sides of the court and provide athletic finishing down low and rim protection, that does help tremendously on most nights. He appears to be someone that would stand a chance with a guard if he gets switched also.

1 Like

Fair statement for sure Potato

You’re not We… “We” are not wrong about anything. Friendly debate here but in all of your years I’m watching basketball, did those include any full games in HS or College for Wiseman. Kids touch is on another planet compared to Odongwu.

And don’t get me wrong, I’m not completely against trading back a few spots if we get another starter, and can pick him or Deni up.

Just think we may be missing something if we do that.

I think two of those three at the top will be studs… tough to say which one will be the bust/ role player.

1 Like

At this point looking at the league…unless you’re convinced he’s gonna change the league, I’m staying away from drafting bigs.

If he’s Shaq and teams will have to adapt or abandon their game plans for him… absolutely you take a big. Ball or any of the other guards make more sense in today’s league to me.

Wiseman at 3 if Ball and Ant are gone is fine. Because he’s got just as much upside as anyone else in the draft after those two.

1 Like

Idk why, but I’m really wanting LaMelo out of the top 3 players everyone is talking about. I just feel he has the highest potential out of all those guys. I’d say Edwards has the highest floor, but probably the lowest ceiling. And I want no part of Wiseman, I just think he is going to be a huge bust.

But, I wouldn’t be opposed to possibly swinging the pick for a guy like Lavine plus CHI’s 1st rounder. Eventually we dump Batum and get another star in here to pair with him (or hopefully LaMelo, if we keep the pick).

Also, idk how to send a PM on this new format, but I can’t get logged in to my original account @Eastley. Is there anyway I can reset the email account for it? I was sure I had the correct one, but apparently not.